The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What keyboard should I Get??
Old 19th May 2017
Gear Head

What keyboard should I Get??

Hey what's up guys! Today I'm looking to trade in my Yamaha PF85 keyboard and get a nicer keyboard for the studio. I've played piano for a while now so I defiantly appreciate weighted keys and well balanced touch sensitivity. I only have the money to spend about 1000$ or so and I kind of liked the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88. I saw it had weighted keys but haven't gotten to try one out yet. If anyone has any onsite or other suggestions, I'd be very interested to read your comments!
Old 19th May 2017
Here for the gear

The Doepfer keyboards seem really popular with composers, I've never tried it though.
Old 21st May 2017
Gear Head

Has anyone used the komplete Kontrol s88?
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Hey Hub,

I`ve been using a Yamaha CP300 since 2012. Before that I was using a CP250 for live work. As a pianist, I love the feeling of it. I also like the onboard speakers and it can take a beating. These days I use the 300 in the studio but its road worthy as well.

E
Old 22nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
Hey Hub,

I`ve been using a Yamaha CP300 since 2012. Before that I was using a CP250 for live work. As a pianist, I love the feeling of it. I also like the onboard speakers and it can take a beating. These days I use the 300 in the studio but its road worthy as well.

E
That's a sick keyboard man definitely will be looking into that
Old 23rd May 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
You might look at the new Studiologic SL88 Grand. I have a older Studiologic 88 controller and it is the best I've ever used.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL88Grand

Never seen this before but it looks very interesting. What do the three joy sticks control specifically ?
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubiverse View Post
Never seen this before but it looks very interesting. What do the three joy sticks control specifically ?
They are assignable. You can program them to control what you want them to.
Old 29th June 2017
Here for the gear
I tested the S88 yesterday in a store, compared the feel of the keys with some stage pianos and digital pianos and they are ok but felt not so good to me in comparison to the other keybeds in the same price range or even cheaper ones. (I'm piano beginner, just start taking few lessons)
I also wanted to test the browsing and edit funktions of KK and they are pretty nice and handy, but i was confused at first that i still need a computer screen to see where i am browsing through the software - i would like more if could see it on the keyboard too.
The light guide is also pretty nice, specially for those instruments with split keys or drums. But playing drums on weighted keys feels bit strange to me

I already own KK U10 and with that i dont like the deal on the S88. Getting the Komplete Kontrol Select stuff with buing the S88 is a nice deal or go for an upgrade to full KK U11 while buing the S88 its pretty good deal specially now they got a summer of sales.. eh i mean sound.

But with owning the software i feel 1000€ not so cool for what i get.
Yo just my opinion right now so far. Not sure what i want to buy now after testing it....
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Arturia has a nice 88 key setup. Comes with great software.
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Is there any advantage to getting something like this over a synth/workstation other than getting the software bundle?
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
Is there any advantage to getting something like this over a synth/workstation other than getting the software bundle?
The flexibility of using a good MIDI controller with a DAW is the reason you would use this combination over a dedicated workstation. The ability to work with a "Piano Roll View" (or PRV) in a DAW on a large monitor is much easier than working from a tiny screen on a workstation.

Other reasons would be:

1) Recording and working with audio tracks is possible and easier
2) Memory not limited
3) Ability to use large monitors
4) Wide variety of Plug-ins on the market for FX and Mastering.
5) Wide variety of VST instruments that can be much more detailed and realistic than a workstation. For instance, East West Symphonic Orchestra/Symphonic Choirs/Storm Drum/Voices of Passion. Real Guitar. Diva. Hauptwerk Virtual Pipe Organ. Omnisphere. and much more.

Others may add more to the list.
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The flexibility of using a good MIDI controller with a DAW is the reason you would use this combination over a dedicated workstation. The ability to work with a "Piano Roll View" (or PRV) in a DAW on a large monitor is much easier than working from a tiny screen on a workstation.
Since you can do that w/a workstation, I disagree that that is an advantage...

Quote:
Other reasons would be:
1) Recording and working with audio tracks is possible and easier
Also possible w/a workstation (some anyway). How is it easier?

Quote:
2) Memory not limited
I suspect even a controller has limits (even PCs have limits, after all), but not sure this is even a player in 99% of situations (and again, varies w/specific models)...

Quote:
3) Ability to use large monitors
4) Wide variety of Plug-ins on the market for FX and Mastering
5) Wide variety of VST instruments that can be much more detailed and realistic than a workstation.
Can do both of these with workstations as well
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

I have to second bill5's comments.

Having a dedicated workstation can give you tons of advantages like extra sounds. The DA's built I to the board could sound great and very different from extremely sterile sounding virtual instruments. Not to mention, you don't need the computer to just sit down and play. Sometimes that's just a pain in the arse. Lol.

Controllers are cool no doubt and there are some built in advantages like the Native Instruments controllers.
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

Most people are either ITB or OTB that post on this type of thread. So if you are using your workstation along with a computer, then my comments would not apply. It's those people who are strictly OTB with a hardware workstation ALONE, as opposed to those who are ITB with a computer, software, and a MIDI controller. The opposing view with OTB people is they do not like interfacing with a mouse and a computer.
Old 1st July 2017
Lives for gear

That's not exactly true. Not exactly wrong either. Having something tactile is nice. I mean, this is Gearlutz. But all that said, I personally have VI's. Not a lot, but enough to finish a project. It's nice to be able to sit down and play without having to boot up the machine, pick a VI, look at a huge list of ok presets, mouse through them, mouse through another, find another sub category, mouse through that one... You get the point. I can walk up to my Kronos and start playing and getting whatever idea I have in my head instantly. There's something to be said about that. Trust me I have nothing against IB or super favorable for OB. Working this way works for me, and yes, I have been completely in the box and completely out of the box.
Old 2nd July 2017
Gear Head

Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most people are either ITB or OTB that post on this type of thread. So if you are using your workstation along with a computer, then my comments would not apply. It's those people who are strictly OTB with a hardware workstation ALONE, as opposed to those who are ITB with a computer, software, and a MIDI controller. The opposing view with OTB people is they do not like interfacing with a mouse and a computer.
I have no idea what "ITB/OTB" mean, but my point is that there is no advantage - at least that I see - to getting a keyboard like those mentioned vs a synth/workstation which costs similar, as (for ex.) the Korg does. The only advantage I have ever seen to a MIDI controller over workstations is cost, as you can get one for a few hundred bucks which does lots of stuff sound-wise. The trade-off usually is that you only get a small set of keys (61 if not less) and they are the "synth action" variety. Also they don't have many of the features workstations do. And if that fits the bill, great, not knocking them, just wondering why buy one which is similar in price which near as I can tell offers much less for the buck.
Old 2nd July 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill5 View Post
I have no idea what "ITB/OTB" mean, but my point is that there is no advantage - at least that I see - to getting a keyboard like those mentioned vs a synth/workstation which costs similar, as (for ex.) the Korg does. The only advantage I have ever seen to a MIDI controller over workstations is cost, as you can get one for a few hundred bucks which does lots of stuff sound-wise. The trade-off usually is that you only get a small set of keys (61 if not less) and they are the "synth action" variety. Also they don't have many of the features workstations do. And if that fits the bill, great, not knocking them, just wondering why buy one which is similar in price which near as I can tell offers much less for the buck.
ITB = in the box (computer)
OTB = outside the box (summing box, console, etc)
Hybrid = a little of both above ..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search