The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fantom xr rack sound module, motif es sound module or just get the keyboard Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Fantom xr rack sound module, motif es sound module or just get the keyboard

i wanted to start this thread because im lost now on what key board i should get or id i should go with sound modules ive been looking into the motif and the roland fantom and i was preety much leaning towards the motif first and now i want the fantom more because i want sound more i hear the motif drums are better but the sounds on the fantom better so i prefer the sounds but then i hear some beats from my favorite producers and its like i dont know wat to dicide anymore and then recently ive been checking inti the fanton sound module and the motif one and i was thinking i could get both adn have the best of both worlds but im not sure if the sounds are equal or if the the sound modules have less sounds than the keyboard do so i just wanted to see if anybody could give me some advice on which to choose any info is appreciated um id even like to hear wat u guys use and if u have one of these hows ur experience like thanks
<!-- / message -->
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

here is my question for you..........

do you have any use for an onboard sequencer at all? If not, get BOTH modules. They both have their own strong points and weak points, but you cant go wrong with getting both if the $$$ is doable for you. If you need an onboard sequencer, I like the Fantom sequencer better simply because it is more user friendly. However, with a little time, you can learn the Yamaha methodology as well.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

have your ever considered the useage of punctuation or grammar in your posts it makes it a lot easier to read and understand what you are saying don't you think some would even so its bloody rude and insulting but I don't expect you would agree just trolling hahah I don't suppose you even noticed the keyboard forums

If you want to get some serious sampled sounds and future expandability, why not go with a soft sampler and some of the high end sample libraries. They will blow the pants off hardware modules with only a few megabytes of highly compressed and truncated sounds that everybody and their dog is using to make commercials ...
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

I think the Roland is best.......oh and hey, Ive got one for sale! Isn't that convenient. Actually I wish I could play keys better and am selling a mint one to get more studio toys. I realize this is an old thread, just couldn't resist... Hee hee. By the way, which one did you finally get?
Old 24th September 2008
Gear maniac

I have a Roland X7 and a Yamaha S90ES. The S90ES has the same sound engine as the Motif ES series. The piano on the S90ES is Yamaha's best sample in a synth, not found on any other Yamaha synth. If you can swing it, I'd go with a S90ES so you get a weighted keyboard with killer acoustic piano and hundreds of other sounds, then a Fantom X Rack. Get a few of the SRX expansion cards for the Fantom - especially the drums expansion and the ultimate keys expansion. THose drums are much better than the Motif drums. The ultimate keys one also has tons of excellent bass guitar patches. I find the S90ES and Fantom complement each other so well. Whatever the S90ES is weak at - the Fantom is strong at. Whatever the the Fantom is weak at - the S90ES excels at.

If I could only have one to use for sequencing - I'd pick the Fantom with a few of the expansion boards. If I could only have one for live use though - I'd pick the Yamaha as it excels more at keyboard type instruments (pianos, EPs, clavs, rhodes, etc.).
Old 19th July 2009
Gear Head

Any good sounding midi module for pianos and b3's for sale for a good price?
Old 19th July 2009
Lives for gear

I would get the modules, too. Just bought the Korg M-3 and will soon buy the Yamaha Motif Rack. Have the Fantom for some years now. They all have good sounds. They are all used in various productions.

In terms of realism noone of these can compete with a gigabyte library in a softsampler. However they have their own tonal fingerprint or character, and this is what I like about these units and often prefer over a more realistic multisample
Old 19th July 2009
Gear Head

yeah I love soft samplers, I use kontakt a lot, but I found them usually good after its being played, I have my players play with natural sounds, then use the kontakt sampler, this is useful due to the latency problem during the play. But the leslie's of b3's I ended up using 2 different midi tracks for leslies So its not really practical, I rather get a decent sounding module for b3's at least, so with the wheel, can gran some modulation..
So you say motif is good huh?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search