The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pro tools operator?!?!?
Old 20th March 2007
Gear Maniac

pro tools operator?!?!?

I'm debating paying for to do a pro tools operator course, which would cost me about £1600. I'm actually using pro tools HD system everyday as part of my job, so am a bit suprised that i can't just get onto the music opertor course, but have to do the 110 and 210 courses too!

Is it worth it, for getting work, improving my chances of getting ahead in education ( I teach Music tech), or am I a chump for considering doing this?

Josh
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

You're a chump in that you could learn almost everything from reading the manual..but you're smart in that people in the industry who see you are trained might give you work you otherwise could miss out on..
BTW, I did the training 7 years ago at FMC..
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear
My vote is no, don't do it. You already use Pro Tools professionally/educationally, and having that on your resume in addition to being able to show that you know what you're doing by providing samples of your work will be better than having that course under your belt. Unless potential employers/clients want to see that you've taken the initiative to further your education on the software..... but I think your actual work will speak louder than taking a class.

Plus it's pretty ****ing expensive.

But what the hell do I know.
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

degrees make nice cover ups for imperfections and cracks on office/studio walls
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

I got my Operator and Expert in Post. I feel it was beneficial for me in that it reinforced my confidence since I had not been working in a big Post room. It also gave me options of workflow and short cuts that the manual doesn't have. The manual is good in part that it shows you what PT can do... but it doesn't explain WHY or WHEN.
Now.. if you've been working in a studio for a while and pretty much know your way around... then it's a waste of money. Just my 2cents....

Regards,
Bruce
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
I got my Operator and Expert in Post. I feel it was beneficial for me in that it reinforced my confidence since I had not been working in a big Post room. It also gave me options of workflow and short cuts that the manual doesn't have. The manual is good in part that it shows you what PT can do... but it doesn't explain WHY or WHEN.
Now.. if you've been working in a studio for a while and pretty much know your way around... then it's a waste of money. Just my 2cents....

Regards,
Bruce
If you're already a ProTools user, then forget about it.

If you're a professional who wants to learn a new or unfamiliar piece of software, then some training outside of a high-stress session is key.

Pay another engineer you respect for some lessons and have him invoice you. Cheaper, and you can write it off too. Clients care about CREDITS, not education.
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

I've just started my 101 training course and may just do both post and music to expert level. I have a degree in audio and recording technology, but haven't had much luck with getting into studios (they don't even seem to want to offer trainee positions ).

Old 20th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
I've just started my 101 training course and may just do both post and music to expert level. I have a degree in audio and recording technology, but haven't had much luck with getting into studios (they don't even seem to want to offer trainee positions ).

Exactly. Expert level and $1.60 will get you a tall coffee at Starbucks. I could care less what "classes" you've taken. Show me the goods. People who are scared about their abilities take classes. Those who have a mind to make it no matter what the obstacle are the ones I would look to hire, and they've come up thru the school of hard knocks. Don't waste you time unless you know it's going to teach you something that actually working won't.
Old 21st March 2007
Lives for gear

Hire me, I'll show you what I'm made of. I just want the chance to show people what I'm capable of, but how can I when no-one is willing to give a guy a break?

Old 21st March 2007
Can you get your work to subsidise the fee's? PAY HALF? PAY ALL OF IT?
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Addict

Forget It

I got my 210 operator cert in music and post. The music one wasn't worth it, the post was only kind of worth it. Like everyone here has said, if you allready use PT you can learn everything on your own. I will say the post course was interesting primarily becuase it isn't what I do all the time. Also, I have never been hired becuase of my PT certifications, only my reputation.

Cheers,
AudioFocus

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search