The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to use outboard with PT HD, a Lynx Aurora 16, and a patchbay? Summing Mixers
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

How to use outboard with PT HD, a Lynx Aurora 16, and a patchbay?

Hi,

Can anyone give me advice how to use outboard equipment in conjunction with PT HD? I've got a Lynx aurora 16 with a couple of preamps, but I've never used any outboard comp's or effects.

I have to get a patchbay right? I've seen these Audio Accessories Shorti Quick-Switch Patchbay to DB25 thingies on the vintageking website;

http://vintageking.com/Shop-New-Cate...tchbay-to-DB25

Does anyone have experience with these units?

I've been thinking about a summing unit or a small mixer like the toft atb, but for now, I think I'll wait till they hit the market in May (situated in Europe...). Anyway, is it possible and a good idea to use outboard equipment with just a patchbay?

Thanks,

Tijs
Old 20th March 2007
Gear Addict

do you mean how to send out to the outboard fx and back, or how to wire up a patchbay to outboard gear?
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

Hi, thanks for your reply! Can you give me answers to both questions? heh

I've never used patchbay's before, but what I understand from the vintage king website is that the Audio Accessories Shorti Quick-Switch Patchbay's are connected via d-sub cables. I'm still not sure how to connect everything though....

Let's say I've got 10 preamps, 10 comp's, 10 fx units 10 eq's, a Lynx aurora 16 and a patchbay. How would you connect these units? I don't understand how you're supposed to work with patchbay's..

Also, for instance, if I want to insert a 2 buss comp and eq, how does this work with a patchbay?

Thanks,

Tijs
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

Anyone?
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

Whenever I use PTHD, I'm in a studio with a decent board, so I just bring up inserts on the channels, use buses, sends, all the obvious studio 101 stuff.

I assume you're talking about using outboard for mixing ITB? My recommendation is to get a summing mixer and use the inserts there. Painless.

Other wise, you can always send a signal through, I dunno, output A3 for instance, send that to an outboard chain, record it back to another track, and slide the audio back in the timeline to compensate for A/D-D/A delay.

This can become an issue when you're dealing with phase-sensitive sound sources, such as signals in a drum kit. I BELIEVE (and don't quote me on this!) that PTHD allows you to engage insert offsets, so you can use outboard without these irksome monitoring issues. I don't know for sure offhand. With some simple routing, you can monitor the other sources that contribute to that phase coherent set through the extra conversion as well.

Like I say, if you have $10-$40k to pickup up an HD system, I'm sure you can afford a decent Summing Mixer or Mid-Level Console. That would be my route.
Old 20th March 2007
Here for the gear

Is their nobody else on this forum who's using a configuration like this?
Old 20th March 2007
Gear Maniac

Well, you need to do a little reading on patchbays and normaling (half and full) but the diagrams here could help you to understand the scenario better if you substitute your PT for the HDR.
Old 21st March 2007
Gear Head

If just mixing ITB, and you want to use outboard with your PTHD, you can use the hardware inserts in the same place where you'd use plugins. If you hookup your patchbay to the Ins and Outs of your Aurora, and then the ins and outs of your outboard gear to the patchbay, you can do it...

Hardward Insert in PT => PT Out thru Aurora (patchbay) => outboard gear IN (connected again to patchbay) => output of outboard gear => input of Aurora (matches number of the output)

And you should be good to go. Of course, this doesn't take into account the organization of your patchay, which I'm sure you can find elsewhere, but it gives you a rough idea of the signal flow to and from your outboard compressors or EQ.

But better than that would be something like the SPL Mixdream that's a summer and it has inserts, bypassing another stage of AD conversion.

P.S. I've only done this with PT interfaces, not the Auroras. Hopefully it's all the same. If things get messy, double check your insert patch under Setup > IO.

Hope this helps
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search