The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?
Old 29th April 2017
SEED78
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?

Anyone actually heard both?

Is the Stellar as detailed as the Tele?

Is either more sibilant than the other etc?

I started out wanting a Manley Ref C - But have some other studio expenditures that will drain my finances.
Old 29th April 2017
Lives for gear

I've heard both but not at the same time but I think the copperhead is darker from what I remember. I've been recently mixing a project I recorded with my cm-6 before I got the slate VMS. The cm-6 definitely has some magic going on. I feel like the cm-6 had the perfect blend of bottom, midrange and high end for vocals. The high end is bright but just super clear without much of an issue with sibilance. In my mind this all gets compounded by the fact that I bought that mic for $400 with 2 NOS tubes. Great value.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Yes have heard both. I own the cm6 and may get a cu-29 at some point but have a few other tube mics that slightly cover that ground.

CM6 is probably more versatile. It's brighter and clearer (airier) with a huge bottom. Very special sounding. I would describe it as having depth or reach. Can stand toe to toe with just about any modern mic out there.

Copperhead has more of a vintage thing going on with just a hint of modern up top. Also a great mic but more mid focused to my ears. It's the mic I'm most impressed with from Tele. I think they are at opposite ends of the spectrum and would compliment each other very well.
Old 30th April 2017
SEED78
Guys, this is totally the kind of info I wanted to hear - massively useful, thanks so much!

Basically I'm after my 'pop' mic, or the mic that brings out the top end detail and air in people with too much low in their voice - like mentioned was going to get the Ref C for this, but have a killer and wildly expensive Fairchild vocal compressor in my sights at the moment, so my budget needed to be reconsidered, and i can always up grade in a few years.

Preamp wise I will use with my Fearn VT1 and prob a Neve clone.

For more vintage vibes I got a Horch RM2J mk2 (just got a ton of tubes in for it from Bowie), and a 3U gz47fetV (which sound in same family - just not as 3D and detailed). So I think the CM6 will be a very appropriate contrast.

I might get the CM6 body customised by a company here to make it look a bit more 'glamourous'!
Old 30th April 2017
SEED78
I wonder what the CU-29 Vs violet design amethyst vintage would be?
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

One thing to keep in mind is that you may want to get a used CM6? The original designer and creator of the Stellar brand had a split with his business partner (his son I believe) and is going off to start a new company and line of mics slightly based on the heritage the CMx series but " slightly improved" in his words.

What this means is that the CM6 and CM5 will still be made but not by the original designer and some of their parts will be sourced from slightly different places now since Peter (the father) took some of his manufacturing leads with him. The son will continue to run and sell the Stellar branded mics however.

I do not know if the newer CM6 and CM5's are inferior or on par but I have two legacy CM5's and a CM6 and they are really special mics, especially the CM6. It pairs well with tube pres as well as SS pres so you should get some real quality recordings with the Fearn. I especially like the CM6 with the Great River Pres...match made in heaven! But I guess those GR pres make any vocal sound expensive don't they? Good luck!
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

At one point I had a cm-5, cm-6, and the unreleased cm-7. At the end of the day, I only kept the cm-6 for Vocals. My chain is CM-6->BAE 1073->WA76->Stam SA-2A->EQP-WA. For the money I don't know what could beat this chain for most vocalists in the pop/rap/r&b world.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
At one point I had a cm-5, cm-6, and the unreleased cm-7. At the end of the day, I only kept the cm-6 for Vocals. My chain is CM-6->BAE 1073->WA76->Stam SA-2A->EQP-WA. For the money I don't know what could beat this chain for most vocalists in the pop/rap/r&b world.

+1. I don't find the cm5 very good on vocals despite it being a c12/251 variant. Never had any luck with it there. It excels as an instrument mic though which is why I have a pair.

The CM6 on the other hand is a real "u87 killer". One of the most versatile and expensive sounding vocal mics I've tried. Sonically I would say it's in Manley Ref. territory.

[EDIT] just re-read your opening post and somehow I missed that you wanted a Manley Ref! No coincidence that you are looking at the CM6. As I just posted they have similar sonic attributes. Good luck.
Old 30th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to chime in to say I've also kept my cm6 as my "pop" vocal mic despite owning a lot of more expensive ldc's (Neumanns, Gefells, etc). It definitely hangs with all of them, and regularly outshine them all when I want that modern sheen.

And btw, put mine in a more flashy (and bigger!) u47-style body, so no singer is experiencing mic envy
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Over View Post
Just wanted to chime in to say I've also kept my cm6 as my "pop" vocal mic despite owning a lot of more expensive ldc's (Neumanns, Gefells, etc). It definitely hangs with all of them, and regularly outshine them all when I want that modern sheen.

And btw, put mine in a more flashy (and bigger!) u47-style body, so no singer is experiencing mic envy

Ooh! Plz share a pic!
Old 30th April 2017
SEED78
Quote:

Ha, that's totally awesome. Did that require much work?

I was thinking of scrubbing the Stellar logo off and getting the body chrome plated.
Old 30th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Let's see it dude!
Old 1st May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I wonder what the CU-29 Vs violet design amethyst vintage would be?
Different beasts but I really like them both. Along with some other posters here, I regularly put a small high shelf up a db from about 5-7K and a low shelf down starting at around 240 on the Copperhead for male vocalist with some bass in their voice. It's my favorite Tele in the reasonable price range and has full, slightly modern sound. It was a keeper in our study.

The Amethyst is a bit cleaner but that VD67 capsule gives you a nice full mid range for non-tube mic. Can't go wrong with either. You can probably get a Copperhead to try before you buy. The Amethyst are on sale right now.
http://bit.ly/theamethystsale
Old 1st May 2017
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Different beasts but I really like them both. Along with some other posters here, I regularly put a small high shelf up a db from about 5-7K and a low shelf down starting at around 240 on the Copperhead for male vocalist with some bass in their voice. It's my favorite Tele in the reasonable price range and has full, slightly modern sound. It was a keeper in our study.

The Amethyst is a bit cleaner but that VD67 capsule gives you a nice full mid range for non-tube mic. Can't go wrong with either. You can probably get a Copperhead to try before you buy. The Amethyst are on sale right now.
http://bit.ly/theamethystsale
Wow another 70% sale! Def wanted to go get one at some point. If the price is cheap in UK again will do so.

At mo, am prob going to get a Stellar CM6 to get 'bright' sorted asap, and eventually the Amethyst Vintage will be my 'medium' warm mic, with my Horch being other end of spectrum.
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McCabe View Post
Let's see it dude!
Here you go, excuse the dirty nails
Attached Thumbnails
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?-img_20170502_000749.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Very cool! Did the different size and mesh on the headbasket change the sound at all to your ears?
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear
Singing into that mic and getting a bright vocal with "pop sheen" would confuse the crap outta me!

Quote:
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Nice! It reminds me of the ADK Z-67.
Old 2nd May 2017
Quote:
Wow another 70% sale! Def wanted to go get one at some point. If the price is cheap in UK again will do so.

At mo, am prob going to get a Stellar CM6 to get 'bright' sorted asap, and eventually the Amethyst Vintage will be my 'medium' warm mic, with my Horch being other end of spectrum.
Let us know what you think of the Stellar CM6. I"m sold on these independent mic makers and the great quality for a lower cost. Aston Spirit, 3U Warbler just to name a few.
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Very cool! Did the different size and mesh on the headbasket change the sound at all to your ears?

Thanks! Didn't do any real A/B, but it feels like it sounds a bit more open and less pinched, and almost as if it has a bit more depth and "grab". Very subtle, though.
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! Didn't do any real A/B, but it feels like it sounds a bit more open and less pinched, and almost as if it has a bit more depth and "grab". Very subtle, though.

Again this is very cool. Would have never thought to swap bodies on my CM6 but this might be something I'm interested in trying down the road. Would you mind telling us where the body came from and the rough cost? If you feel uncomfortable with divulging that info on a public forum perhaps by PM? Thanks for your input in this thread. You certainly took it for a twist!
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let us know what you think of the Stellar CM6. I"m sold on these independent mic makers and the great quality for a lower cost. Aston Spirit, 3U Warbler just to name a few.

I think there may be an Aston Spirit in my near future too. I really like the look of that mic. It's very unique and although I hate to admit it, I like putting up good looking mics for certain clients even if only as a conversation piece to get them a little excited about the session.
Old 19th May 2017
SEED78
Hi again,

Decided to try a CM6 out. Just arrived, will test it tomorrow morning. I got a vintage Telefunken tube from Bowie for it too.

First impressions, body of mic and power supply feel more heavy duty than some mics I've tried that are more expensive.

I'd prefer chromed body to nickel effect body in removable middle section, so might get it chromed up if can find someone to do it cheap.

Quick question - noticed the capsule sits REALLY high inside the head basket. Lo-fi photo below... The top third of the capsule is above metal band of basket. I was curious if it's the same on all your CM6's?? Please check and tell me!
Attached Thumbnails
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?-img_20170519_195312.jpg  

Last edited by SEED78; 19th May 2017 at 10:05 PM..
Old 19th May 2017
SEED78
case closed - RIP Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
...from what I understand, that placement of the capsule, high in the headbasket was actually deliberate...it borrows from the U47's capsule placement, in which the top crossbar of the headbasket dissects the capsule's exposure...some believe this configuration contributes to diminished plosions and sibilance...

BTW nulldevice, have you upgraded the tube in your CM-6?...

Last edited by SEED78; 19th May 2017 at 10:04 PM..
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

I love my cu29, I upgrade from an at4050 so the difference was significant, I can say it is a bit muddier (warm) but don't sleep on the top end because when stacking vocals the harshness is apparent so keep that in mind if you do start using it.

I have to say that you get a solid and big vocal out of this mic and the beauty is when you start processing. I hope to try a Telefunken Black Diamond tube on it soon! It currently has the stock GE Jan.

I forgot to mention that the difference in my previous recordings with the at4050 to now has had my closest friends that also produce and work with me notice a BIG difference, in a very very good way.
Old 19th May 2017
Quote:
Hi again,

Decided to try a CM6 out. Just arrived, will test it tomorrow morning. I got a vintage Telefunken tube from Bowie for it too.

First impressions, body of mic and power supply feel more heavy duty than some mics I've tried that are more expensive.

I'd prefer chromed body to nickel effect body in removable middle section, so might get it chromed up if can find someone to do it cheap.

Quick question - noticed the capsule sits REALLY high inside the head basket. Lo-fi photo below... The top third of the capsule is above metal band of basket. I was curious if it's the same on all your CM6's?? Please check and tell me!
How do you like the Stellar CM6? I recently had a Copperhead and Amethyst Vintage here at the same time. The tube definitely gives you a bigger sound with the Copperhead. For a pop vocal mic, it's the Copperhead, so easy to EQ, totally agree it's my favorite Telefunken mic. Trying to get one to own shortly.
Old 19th May 2017
SEED78
Quote:
How do you like the Stellar CM6? I recently had a Copperhead and Amethyst Vintage here at the same time. The tube definitely gives you a bigger sound with the Copperhead. For a pop vocal mic, it's the Copperhead, so easy to EQ, totally agree it's my favorite Telefunken mic. Trying to get one to own shortly.
I'll fire it up in the morning and let you know.
Old 19th May 2017
Lives for gear

At one point I owned kidvybes' stellar cm-7. Dennis helped me out a bunch early on.
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
case closed - RIP Dennis

I just saw your PM and was about to say I have no idea. Most of my mics are in storage at the moment since I'm doing a buildout but I'm glad our good buddy "D" had the answer to your question. Man that guy was so knowledgeable about mics it's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes

...from what I understand, that placement of the capsule, high in the headbasket was actually deliberate...it borrows from the U47's capsule placement, in which the top crossbar of the headbasket dissects the capsule's exposure...some believe this configuration contributes to diminished plosions and sibilance...

BTW nulldevice, have you upgraded the tube in your CM-6?...
Old 21st May 2017
SEED78
Pretty happy with my CM6 so far - recon it covers what I needed it to cover, and can imagine getting some good use out of it!

I'm not the most experienced mic user ever, my other mic is a Horch though, which is hot sh+t, and have demo'd Chandlers Redd mic which is a is closer to the CM6 than the Horch in sound. The Redd might have a little more magic up top and more reach - but am mighty impressed with the CM6, at any price.

Liking it through my Fearn VT1 very much.

Its low noise - really solid heavy build. a big

Not a huge fan of the typography on the body or the nickel finish on the centre section - both give the mic a cheaper look than it deserves, but in space no-one can see you sing
Attached Thumbnails
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?-img_20170521_165211.jpg  
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search