The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tele CU-29 Vs Stellar CM6?
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

CM6 is for real...

Glad you like it :0) now you can see just what I and several other CM6 owners have been saying about how great this mic sounds. Wait until you hear how well it takes processing and sits in a mix. I would put this mic up against just about any modern mic and am sure it would hold its own. Try it with a Neve style pre for some nice variation but I'm sure it sounds absolutely fantastic with the Fearn. Come back and give us a run down after the "honeymoon period" is over. Thumbs up!
Old 21st May 2017
SEED78
thanks mate.

My Revive M73 is a Neve style preamp (perhaps not the best example of one out there, but decent) - the Fearn is just a little bit more exciting and 3D sounding than my M73.
Old 21st May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
thanks mate.

My Revive M73 is a Neve style preamp (perhaps not the best example of one out there, but decent) - the Fearn is just a little bit more exciting and 3D sounding than my M73.

Yes that is my experience with really great tube pres as well. I really like the Neve for brighter mics due to all the high end processing we do for that modern pop sound. The Neve color really seems to tame that down a bit but honestly I do like tube mic pres a little more for that deep realistic sound. Good luck and do post back when you've lived with the mic for a good while.
Old 29th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six Feet Over View Post
Here you go, excuse the dirty nails
Man that IS nice! I paid so little for my cm6 used I think it would be worth doing this. Any info would be appreciated. Now the cm6 looks as awesome as it sounds! Its one of the few bargain mics Ive tried that can hang with my vintage u87, gefells, arabella etc. I have a cm5 as well but not as into it.
Old 29th May 2017
On the other subject of thiis thread, we picked up new Telefunken Copperhead (had been borrowing one up till this point(. It came with a mic package that we were able to sell, so the new price was in the $1K range. We also picked up a Telefunken tube just to test against the included GE.

There is a difference and we posted some MP3s on another thread. We preferred the Telefunken but that's just a matter of taste not better. It still remains one of our 3 favorite male vocal mics in this price range. Will have to check out the Stellar soon.
Old 29th May 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgechon View Post
Man that IS nice! I paid so little for my cm6 used I think it would be worth doing this. Any info would be appreciated. Now the cm6 looks as awesome as it sounds! Its one of the few bargain mics Ive tried that can hang with my vintage u87, gefells, arabella etc. I have a cm5 as well but not as into it.
Hey,

It's been a few years since I did the conversion, so I can't really recall all the details as to where I sourced the parts. I got the body from here: Equinox EQU47 Microphone Body - DIYRE Wiki, but it seems it's not available any more. I also sourced the capsule holder, seven pin tuchel cable and shockmount from different places, that I can't really remember any more. Basically I wanted the mic to look like a u47, which is a mic most singers will subconsciously recognize. It was a fun little project, I think I spent about a day reassembling, with a minimal amount of soldering (which is definitely not my strength). Had to use a couple of strips to get the circuit board secured, but it was pretty much a wing-it-and-improvize procedure.

What's more, it probably brought the price of the mic up to about 8-900 bucks, so almost cu29-territory. However, I don't for a second regret keeping the cm6, like I said it regularly outshines my u87, my geffels etc on vocals. And in the new body, no one ever asks "why don't you use that one" (eyeballing the 87)
Old 29th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
On the other subject of thiis thread, we picked up new Telefunken Copperhead (had been borrowing one up till this point(. It came with a mic package that we were able to sell, so the new price was in the $1K range. We also picked up a Telefunken tube just to test against the included GE.

There is a difference and we posted some MP3s on another thread. We preferred the Telefunken but that's just a matter of taste not better. It still remains one of our 3 favorite male vocal mics in this price range. Will have to check out the Stellar soon.
Does it normally come with one of those cherished now 5-star GEs? What is it about the tele you prefer, I ask cause I just bought one of the GEs for my c12 type
Old 30th May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Does it normally come with one of those cherished now 5-star GEs? What is it about the tele you prefer, I ask cause I just bought one of the GEs for my c12 type
It's early days with the Copperhead (they currently come with the GE) but my experience with my voice is that the Tele has a bit bigger sound. I like the GE, it just sounds slightly thinner on the "ballad style" tunes we're doing right now.

Luckily both can be EQ'd to resemble each other and the differences are small. The main thing is that the Copperhead is my favorite Telefunken mic in this under $3K price range. I think it's exceptional on big, male vocals and haven't tried it on any other source.

As I've said many times, we checked out a couple dozen male vocal mics last year and there were 3 where everyone said "wait a minute", the Copperhead, Lauten Atlantis, and the Stage 2 with Violet's VD67 capsule. My voice, my room and those were the main control factors.
Attached Files

Lovely Day GE.mp3 (5.12 MB, 999 views)

Lovely Day Tele.mp3 (5.12 MB, 990 views)

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 5th June 2017 at 12:25 PM..
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

IMO the CM6 is not a “great” mic. It is a good for the price mic. Never tried the Copperhead. The only thing I think the CM6 is great at, is that overdriven megaphone sound when pared up with a tube pre and driven hard. I suspect any cheap tube mic will excel at this, though I only have two cheapos, the CM5 and CM6. The CM5 I do actually really like on acoustic guitar. Maybe more so than some $2k+ mics I own... But it’s not quite as good at the megaphone thing, so maybe the CM6 really is unique in that regard. My problem with the CM6 is that it can be sibilant, and kind of spitty at times. Other times it is good, but I wouldn’t really call it detailed. It is a bright mic, but I prefer my Blueberry for bright mic duties (they’re about the same price used). Either way, if you intend to take recording seriously, you’ll have to try them for yourself, in your space, and make your own decisions. Don’t be too hasty, especially if you’re inexperienced, or undereducated. Mic technique is probably more important than the mic. So get your hands on them and put them through their paces. Can’t afford them, make some calls. Save some money. Or, just accept not knowing.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
IMO the CM6 is not a “great” mic. It is a good for the price mic. Never tried the Copperhead. The only thing I think the CM6 is great at, is that overdriven megaphone sound when pared up with a tube pre and driven hard. I suspect any cheap tube mic will excel at this, though I only have two cheapos, the CM5 and CM6. The CM5 I do actually really like on acoustic guitar. Maybe more so than some $2k+ mics I own... But it’s not quite as good at the megaphone thing, so maybe the CM6 really is unique in that regard. My problem with the CM6 is that it can be sibilant, and kind of spitty at times. Other times it is good, but I wouldn’t really call it detailed.

I have to respectfully disagree. Below is a demo my production partner cut a few years back at his home studio with a stock CM6 going into a Gap-Pre73. We didn't get to send it off for mixing, unfortunately my production partner @ kidvybes passed away suddenly and the project got dropped.

In any event, the vocal is nice and clear and if I had the dry vocals I would have no problem at all making this radio ready. You can hear the clarity even in this demo "ruffmix". I find that results with the CM6, just like every other mic is highly dependent on the source and the room.

Yes, the CM6 is a bright mic and has that glassy top end but it works great for certain voices and certain styles of music. One last thing I found is that some pres tend to amplify sibilance in this mic so try swapping pres also when testing but in general this is a really, really good vocal mic.

[Late add] ALL vocals were tracked with the CM6 on this demo including the BGV's.

Attached Files

Adam Barnes_Nowadays_Ruff.mp3 (6.89 MB, 236 views)

Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

I had a couple of female vocal dates this week and the Tele CU29 was a perfect match.
The CU29 had this big present controlled bigger than life quality to it.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
I had a couple of female vocal dates this week and the Tele CU29 was a perfect match.
The CU29 had this big present controlled bigger than life quality to it.

I'm a big fan of the CU29. I think it has a controlled present bigger than life quality in general.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

CM6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. Below is a demo my production partner cut a few years back at his home studio with a stock CM6 going into a Gap-Pre73. We didn't get to send it off for mixing, unfortunately my production partner @ kidvybes passed away suddenly and the project got dropped.

In any event, the vocal is nice and clear and if I had the dry vocals I would have no problem at all making this radio ready. You can hear the clarity even in this demo "ruffmix". I find that results with the CM6, just like every other mic is highly dependent on the source and the room.

Yes, the CM6 is a bright mic and has that glassy top end but it works great for certain voices and certain styles of music. One last thing I found is that some pres tend to amplify sibilance in this mic so try swapping pres also when testing but in general this is a really, really good vocal mic.

[Late add] ALL vocals were tracked with the CM6 on this demo including the BGV's.

Nice song, sounds great. That singer definitely has the kind of voice that would work with a CM6. Any mic can sound great in a given set of circumstances (source/talent, room, style/genre, etc...) I never said it was a bad mic, just that it’s not great. There seems to be a lot of love/hate, and I just wanted to express a balanced opinion as someone who likes the mic just fine, but realizes it’s limitations. As far as pres go, I have used it with many (Vintech, Phoenix, Warm, API, UA, DAV, and Earthworks that come to mind). The singer/source, mic placement and room acoustics seem to make a much bigger difference. But a bright pre is certainly more likely to exacerbate an already bright situation. Ultimately, I think everyone should have a bright mic in their locker, maybe the CM6 is the one for you. It may be the best tube mic at its price, but to me that just means there’s no great tube mics in that price. Maybe saving up another $1000 would be worth it (if possible). I really don’t think it’s a solid, go to, build a studio around microphone. My personal recommendation was to try it and see. But ultimately, without some reference points (other similarly styled mics of varying prices) it’s really just an exercise of ignorance, cause you just don’t know what you’ve never experienced (not you personally, but the average low budget newbie stumbling upon this thread looking for a mic that’s going to change their life).
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

@ NamelessUnknown

Fair enough. I find it hard to find bright mics that sound good on vocals in general.

I certainly would not build a studio around a bright mic (or the CM6) so we agree there too. :0)

I think one would have to move into Manley Ref. Territory to get a classier bright mic and even then it’s kind of hit or miss IME.

P.S. For future readers, the Advanced Audio take on the c800 is supposed to be spot on based on some comparisons and comments here on GS.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
@ NamelessUnknown
I think one would have to move into Manley Ref. Territory to get a classier bright mic and even then it’s kind of hit or miss IME.
If we look into the "bright mic territory" the Mojave Audio MA1000 is magic.
Modern and a classic sound at the same time, can handle Rap to Pop Country to Rock with ease, bright in a good way in oppose to many mics which are bright in the complete wrong direction.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Modern and a classic sound at the same time, can handle Rap to Pop Country to Rock with ease, bright in a good way in oppose to many mics which are bright in the complete wrong direction.

Oh right! Forgot about that one. I don't have an MA-1000 but I've heard it's a really great sounding bright mic and is supposed to be very versatile for vocals. I actually considered selling my Lauten Atlantis at one point to get the MA-1000 but kept the Lauten in the end after my buddy who owns both talked me out of it. I do have an MA-200 which is on the brighter side and its pretty good on vocals. Mojave makes versatile mics in general but don't forget the MA-1000 is almost $3k! - so it better be good.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

Magic

Quote:
There’s no such thing as magic, just things we don’t understand.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search