The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drawmer 1978 vs Overstayer Stereo Field Effect
Old 24th April 2017
  #1
Gear Head
 

Drawmer 1978 vs Overstayer Stereo Field Effect

Hello,

I have a small hardware based electronic music studio and I'm in the market for a drum buss compressor for electronic drums.

As much as I'd love an API 2500, that is out of my budget, and I'd prefer to find a compressor with a mix knob for easy parallel compression.

I've narrowed my search down to the Drawmer 1978 and the Overstayer Stereo Field Effect. Both are FET compressors and both meet my criteria of having a mix knob. I'm already aware of the feature differences of both units and am looking for opinions from anyone who has tried both of these units and can compare their sound, especially when used on the drum bus for electronic music.

I'm currently leaning toward the 1978 because it is over $1000 cheaper, allowing me to spend money on other gear, but I do like Overstayer's stuff (I already have a Stereo Voltage Control) and I've heard the Stereo Field Effect is great. Just not sure if it is $1000 more great than the 1978. Hoping some folks will have experience with these two units and can share their opinions.

Thanks!

Last edited by metaBit; 24th April 2017 at 12:44 AM..
Old 24th April 2017
  #2
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Hi,

I may not be much help other than a thread bump but I was pondering this over the last several months and finally pulled the trigger on the Overstayer SFE a few days ago. What pushed me over the edge was Gearslut Roundbadge's high praise, I saw a demo unit for a couple hundered $$ off and these KMR demos:


I did have a Drawmer 1978 (EDIT: correction! I had the Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition, not the 1978!) that I bought many years ago but due to stuff going on I didn't get beyond testing it to make sure it worked and then a few years ago ended up selling it for financial reasons. I think it is probably a much more versatile unit than the Overstayer SFE and a better bang for the buck but, I wanted to try something new.

I was also strongly considering the Daking FET 3 and the Munson & Fletcher MS76 https://bymunsonandfletcher.com/ , both of which cost less and are probably more versitile than the Overstayer SFE . . . . . . .wait . . .why did I buy the Overstayer again?!

Last edited by ImJohn; 24th April 2017 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: added correction, I stated wrong model number
Old 24th April 2017
  #3
Gear Head
 

Ha! I'm sure the Overstayer will be great! (I love my Stereo Voltage Control.)

I'm just questioning if the Overstayer is actually worth the extra cost over the Drawmer 1978. I haven't been able to find many posts of people comparing these two yet and they seem like a pretty obvious comparison both being stereo FET compressors.
Old 24th April 2017
  #4
Gear Addict
 
ToddP's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
Hi,

I did have a Drawmer 1978 that I bought many years ago but due to stuff going on I didn't get beyond testing it to make sure it worked and then a few years ago ended up selling it for financial reasons. I think it is probably a much more versatile unit than the Overstayer SFE and a better bang for the buck but, I wanted to try something new.
Hi John
Are you thinking of the 1968? I ask because the 1978 has only been out since mid 2015.
Old 24th April 2017
  #5
Lives for gear
 
ImJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddP View Post
Hi John
Are you thinking of the 1968? I ask because the 1978 has only been out since mid 2015.
D'oh! You are right, I had the Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition! Thanks for the correction!
Old 25th April 2017
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
D'oh! You are right, I had the Drawmer 1968 Mercenary Edition! Thanks for the correction!


I am also interested in the 1968 but more for it's two independent channels which which I'd use to run a couple mono synths through or for sidechaining. If I lived in a city I'd find a way to demo a 1978 and an Overstayer SFE, but I don't, so still holding out that some folks on here will have experience with both of these.
Old 23rd June 2017
  #7
Lives for gear
 
mike vee's Avatar
I've owned the real SSL, API 2500 FATSO, distressor, TK-aUdio and the Drawmer 1978 is the best bus compressor available, in my opinion.
Old 24th December 2017
  #8
Gear Head
Bumpin’

Im also considering both for bus duties, does anyone used both or had the chance to compared them?
Old 24th December 2017
  #9
I have both and the SFE is more instantly pleasing. The 1978 takes a bit of work but can sound great too once you dial it in. The 1973 is even better and very flexible. Check the 1176 drum thread where I put them up.
Old 26th December 2017
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
stylesforfree's Avatar
 

I have a 1968 mk2 and a 1978. I sold my SSL after I got the 1978. Awesome compressor. The 68 gives me shiny sweet tip top compression and the 78 gives me everything from that raw drum crushing sound to buttery funkatron smoothness. I also have an IGS 500 s type VU. Yeah I like compressors and I like different flavours. I like drum smashing because I just love drums.

Also I run my moogs and eurorack through the 68 and 78. So much fun experimenting with compression.
Old 1st June 2018
  #11
Gear Addict
 
The Warmth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
I have a 1968 mk2 and a 1978. I sold my SSL after I got the 1978. Awesome compressor. The 68 gives me shiny sweet tip top compression and the 78 gives me everything from that raw drum crushing sound to buttery funkatron smoothness. I also have an IGS 500 s type VU. Yeah I like compressors and I like different flavours. I like drum smashing because I just love drums.

Also I run my moogs and eurorack through the 68 and 78. So much fun experimenting with compression.
Curious which one of these you are using on your mix buss? They are all compressors I've considered purchasing and currently leaning more towards the 78 for that purpose and having it as an extra tracking compressor would be a welcome bonus.
Old 1st June 2018
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
stylesforfree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
Curious which one of these you are using on your mix buss? They are all compressors I've considered purchasing and currently leaning more towards the 78 for that purpose and having it as an extra tracking compressor would be a welcome bonus.
I have used them all on the mix bus and I like them all on the mix bus.

The 1968 really gives it that top end sweet smoothness, the sidechain function really knocks hard and its easy to find the right setting.

1978 makes you work harder to get the best out of it. It has 4 character switches but they're subtle. The saturation is nice dialed in at small amounts and the tonal shaping is very useful.

The IGS S-type is a no brainer at the price you can buy it for here in the UK (£500) it's loosely based on the SSL g bus compressor but its a trimmed down version. It's an amazing compressor though.

Care to tell me what type of music you will be using the compressor on?
Old 1st June 2018
  #13
Gear Addict
 
The Warmth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
I have used them all on the mix bus and I like them all on the mix bus.

The 1968 really gives it that top end sweet smoothness, the sidechain function really knocks hard and its easy to find the right setting.

1978 makes you work harder to get the best out of it. It has 4 character switches but they're subtle. The saturation is nice dialed in at small amounts and the tonal shaping is very useful.

The IGS S-type is a no brainer at the price you can buy it for here in the UK (£500) it's loosely based on the SSL g bus compressor but its a trimmed down version. It's an amazing compressor though.

Care to tell me what type of music you will be using the compressor on?
Hey I really appreciate the feedback! Just what I need. I'm mostly mixing Hip Hop and occasionally rock at the moment so I'm looking for something really tight and clear to add some energy and separation by not collapsing the stereo image.

Are you finding the 68 a lot better than plugins? From what I can hear, it's the one that seems like I can get the closest to using plugins but I don't have one in front of me so thats just a guess based on listening to examples. I like that it's smooth as I spend a lot of time smoothening out and de-harshing tracks. If you say it can knock, that is fantastic because I was afraid it didn't bring the same energy as the other two.

IGS looks great but someone once mentioned it was harsh and that description put me off a bit. However, the S-Type sounds like it would be great for an SSL type hip hop compression and easy to recall which is a major plus. Does it retain the low end well? I'd have to get a rack for it but then it'd still be about the price of the 78 which the drawmer's major selling point to me. Is recall on the 78 a bummer or quite easy?
Old 2nd June 2018
  #14
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
IGS looks great but someone once mentioned it was harsh and that description put me off a bit. However, the S-Type sounds like it would be great for an SSL type hip hop compression and easy to recall which is a major plus. Does it retain the low end well?
Hey mate,
I have an S-Type and to my ears it is not harsh in the slightest. In fact, it has no real sound at all until it starts compressing. The compression sounds "slick" to me and I really like what it brings to a track. No problems handling bass, and also keep in mind it has a variable HPF in the side chain so program with high bass content should never really be a problem.
Great unit.
Old 2nd June 2018
  #15
Gear Addict
 
The Warmth's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Judson View Post
Hey mate,
I have an S-Type and to my ears it is not harsh in the slightest. In fact, it has no real sound at all until it starts compressing. The compression sounds "slick" to me and I really like what it brings to a track. No problems handling bass, and also keep in mind it has a variable HPF in the side chain so program with high bass content should never really be a problem.
Great unit.
Hey that sounds perfect. Even if it doesn't have much of a sound, do you feel like it's a big improvement over a plugin on the mix buss when knocking back a couple of db? I'm contemplating whether it's worth breaking out of the box for something like this and my gut says yes.
Old 2nd June 2018
  #16
Drawmer 1978 is great on drum buss ,not a big sonic signature.
The side chain/saturation almost negates the need for eq.

Audio Scape SSL clone is nice for that sound,loove it.
No experience with Overstayer,hopefully soon.
Old 19th April 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
I have a 1968 mk2 and a 1978. I sold my SSL after I got the 1978. Awesome compressor. The 68 gives me shiny sweet tip top compression and the 78 gives me everything from that raw drum crushing sound to buttery funkatron smoothness. I also have an IGS 500 s type VU. Yeah I like compressors and I like different flavours. I like drum smashing because I just love drums.

Also I run my moogs and eurorack through the 68 and 78. So much fun experimenting with compression.
there's not a lot on gearslutz about compression and synths, not in terms of using compression for gain reduction (which most synths rarely need and often suffer from), but rather color. how are these comps for color on synths?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Lives for gear
Not much mentioned on GS about the SFE Compressor. Have a friend who has one and he demonstrated it to me on Friday in the context of a heavy metal track. It certainly adds a vibe of energy to drum tracks. I was so impressed that i'm saving up to buy the unit from him.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump