The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why are there hundreds of different studio monitor speakers on the market?
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Why are there hundreds of different studio monitor speakers on the market?

Of course I understand there are monitors in different price ranges and sizes for various types of studio's.

Brands like KRK and Genelec are very popular, you see them everywhere, but are they actually good or just fashionable?
Why are they "the standard"?

But still, when i search for studio monitors on an online music shop, i get at least 400 results from umpteen different brands.

How does a consumer know which one actually sounds good with literally hundreds of monitors to choose from?
Why are so many brands making them?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
How many different kinds of guitar strings do you see? Shoes? Automobiles? The variety is endless in a modern capitalist economy.

Any given speaker will have advantages and disadvantages based on what you want it for, what room you're using it in, and on top of that there are aesthetic considerations. Some people think the Genelecs are pretty. I think they look atrocious. It's like this with any piece of equipment.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

i understand there has to be a certain amount of choice, but there are far more people driving cars or wear shoes than there are people with studio's.
I just don't see why there have to be 400+ different studio monitors.

I would like to have a pair of good sounding affordable small monitors, sounds so simple but it is impossible to make a choice because it is impossible to actually hear and try them all.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

There is no one determining how many monitors can be sold ----- Each individual company simply decides if they think they can make money by selling monitors. The technology is mature so it is easy for them to design and manufacture monitors.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassX View Post
I would like to have a pair of good sounding affordable small monitors, sounds so simple but it is impossible to make a choice because it is impossible to actually hear and try them all.
It's better to have too many choices than too few!

Pick one, buy it used or buy it from a place where you can return it after 30 days. If you don't like it so much, try another pair. Everything in a studio is like this.
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

The title of this thread made me ponder - since everybody wants basically the same thing from their monitors, why dont all the brands sound the same?

Thought about it some more - if the requiements are dead flat 20hz-30k frequency, perfect phase, no audible distortion, empty waterfall plot, and perfect impulse response - its still impossible to reach all those goals. The more money you spend the closer you get.

Then add the fact that some people want nearfield, some want midfield, and some want soffit monsters, and that some people like to mix at speech volumes and others at 100db, and there are a huge number of different products needed to fit every situation and budget.

And of course from the practical business viewpoint the huge increase in home studio numbers has created a vast market.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by teashea View Post
There is no one determining how many monitors can be sold -----
of course not, but after so many years, there has to be some public consensus about which ones really do sound bad or are pointless and which ones are good?
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

If I took both sets of my monitors to your room, we would not have the same listening experience as my room, so how can one come to a consensus?

Dan
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear
Because there is a market for gear. When the economy was at its worst places like Sweetwater were doing quite well. Look at the threads on Gearslutz - so many are "Which is the best?" or "What would you buy?" or "Help me spend 10 grand". Where there is a market, there will be lots trying to capitalize on it.

Obviously some stuff is better than other stuff and then there is the stuff in the same ballpark where it might work better for one situation and not for another.

If someone builds it, they will come....
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search