The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are some good field recording starter mics?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

What are some good field recording starter mics?

I need some buying advice because I want to get some 'studio-grade' recordings with the very bare minimum. The intent is to use sounds I hear and come across everyday to layer and do more sound design work for video and games. I'm probably going to sell some lesser-used midi stuff for new gear so it's strictly pseudo-budgeted. Less is more.

I do not own a recorder. The cheapest I see is the dr40 or another one from zoom (can't remember off the top of my head). Both priced at $130ish on eBay.

I could get an iPhone IK Multimedia iRig Pro - Simple $75ish single channel interface. High quality A/D, 24 bit yadi ya. This would allow me to utilize the two mic's I already have (SM58, AT2035) or sell those two to get more appropriate mic's for the job. I hardly use these in my home studio ATM.

Shure MV88 iPhone Mic. I have to say I was impressed with this thing when I stumbled upon it. It would eliminate the need for a interface and other gear. It's low profile, really flexible for simple field recording stuff, and only $150ish. I'm tempted to pick one of these up but the low's just aren't there in some examples. Seems a little Tinny sounding, not sure if that has to do with youtube user's not utilizing correct polar patterns. Frequency chart shows a kind of linear 500 below roll off thing happening. Might be able to remedy it with some EQ? Can't polish **** though..

Mic choices:
Really want to hear what some experienced people have to say about this one. I'm of course not looking to spend many 100's or 1000's on new mics. But maybe like 100ish for one that handles each job correctly.

I was thinking a trusty sm57 for dynamic cardoid recordings.

Some sort of cheap omnidirectional SDC mic for wide recordings and ambiences. Maybe a second one for a nice stereo recording

Shotgun? Mid/Side? Bloomline? ETC ETC? I'm not sure I'd need it? I feel you could get away with a lot using cardoid and omni polar patterns. Probably won't be recording many people on sets or anything that'd need a bunch of extra flexibility.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts, feedback and experiences. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspen1135 View Post
I need some buying advice because I want to get some 'studio-grade' recordings with the very bare minimum. The intent is to use sounds I hear and come across everyday to layer and do more sound design work for video and games. I'm probably going to sell some lesser-used midi stuff for new gear so it's strictly pseudo-budgeted. Less is more.

I do not own a recorder. The cheapest I see is the dr40 or another one from zoom (can't remember off the top of my head). Both priced at $130ish on eBay.

I could get an iPhone IK Multimedia iRig Pro - Simple $75ish single channel interface. High quality A/D, 24 bit yadi ya. This would allow me to utilize the two mic's I already have (SM58, AT2035) or sell those two to get more appropriate mic's for the job. I hardly use these in my home studio ATM.

Shure MV88 iPhone Mic. I have to say I was impressed with this thing when I stumbled upon it. It would eliminate the need for a interface and other gear. It's low profile, really flexible for simple field recording stuff, and only $150ish. I'm tempted to pick one of these up but the low's just aren't there in some examples. Seems a little Tinny sounding, not sure if that has to do with youtube user's not utilizing correct polar patterns. Frequency chart shows a kind of linear 500 below roll off thing happening. Might be able to remedy it with some EQ? Can't polish **** though..

Mic choices:
Really want to hear what some experienced people have to say about this one. I'm of course not looking to spend many 100's or 1000's on new mics. But maybe like 100ish for one that handles each job correctly.

I was thinking a trusty sm57 for dynamic cardoid recordings.

Some sort of cheap omnidirectional SDC mic for wide recordings and ambiences. Maybe a second one for a nice stereo recording

Shotgun? Mid/Side? Bloomline? ETC ETC? I'm not sure I'd need it? I feel you could get away with a lot using cardoid and omni polar patterns. Probably won't be recording many people on sets or anything that'd need a bunch of extra flexibility.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts, feedback and experiences. Thanks!
The Shure is a bit of noisy when you record very quiet sources. The lows are o.k. and the Shure is hard to beat for quality, price and handiness.
If you can invest a bit more and accept a bit more size and set-up time, the Lewitt DGT650 is a step ahead in quality and price. Love it.
If you own an iPhone maybe have a look at the new budget Zoom interfaces like the U-44. They offer a lot or the price, run on batteries and have an extra tablet-mode.
You can use your XLR mics, but it has the same kind of connectors for channels 3+4 as the Zoom handy recorders, so you can use all of the mics they offer for their recorders or the additional XLR-modul.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

DR40s are great value. I'd pick one up and get going using the built in mics - you have 2 patterns to experiment wth and get familiar with the recorder, and you dont have to carry mics and cables around with you. When you've squeezed as much as possible out of them you could then look at using external mics if you need to. A matched pair of Oktava MK012 with card and omni capsules will give you a whole bunch more options for not a lot of money.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
You could use the decent built in mics in the Tascam DR70d for now, then if you feel you need to upgrade later, connect up to four external mics. Mind you, optimal placement of the unit is obviously more critical if using just the built in mics.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search