The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Little Labs Redeye
Old 17th October 2002
Little Labs

New Little Labs Redeye

Here is my new Redeye, I love gear slutz so I have gone ahead and put my blatant self promotion up for all to see. Flame me if I be bad!
http://www.littlelabs.com/redeye.html evileye
Attached Thumbnails
New Little Labs Redeye-reirlsml.jpg  
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Street price? Reamp is kickin my asre right now.
Old 17th October 2002
Little Labs

The list price is $250... I dunno it's too new for a street price:eek:
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

I was hoping for a red anodized finish with a name like Redeye. Looks cool, when is it shipping?
Old 17th October 2002
Little Labs

I have 41 in stock.... left the red anodize for the focusrite people... but I broke a blood vessel in my eye over the weekend... I'm a walking advertisement![IMG]glight.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images
New Little Labs Redeye-glight.jpg 
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Maniac

What´s your idea behind this little devil? What´s the best way to use this?
Old 18th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
What´s your idea behind this little devil? What´s the best way to use this?
Check the link he provided... it breaks it down.

Basically, it's a Direct Box that can also be used like reamp as well. That is to say, if you have something pre recorded and what to send it back to an amp for whatever reason, it can do it with correct impendences. Like, if you have a direct recorded guitar, and what it to sound like the amp in youe live room... Done. If you need more "snares" out of your snare drum, send the snare into it, the devil into an amp, put the amp on top of a snare drum in the live room, then mic the underside of the snare drum.
Old 18th October 2002
Little Labs

For all you who don't like links....heh

The Red Eye is a passive re-amp box/direct box with unique expansion capabilities. The high quality passive direct box in the Red Eye features phase reverse and earth lift. At the push of a button the Red Eye converts from a direct box into a re-amp box with its own input and output connectors. The re-amp in the Red Eye features earth lift, phase reverse, and level control.

Daisy-chaining multiple rack-mountable Red Eyes (4 units fit a 1U space), with the supplied expansion in and out rear jacks and front panel expansion button, opens up the further creative potential of the Red Eye. Multiple guitar level impedance outputs can be created from a single balanced line level source, allowing you to correctly interface multiple vintage effect pedals or re-amp to multiple guitar amps. When used with any active direct box, whether it be a Little Labs Multi Z DI or other brands such as Avalon, Demeter or Evil Twin, the Red Eye creates a superb quality guitar level/impedance multiple output guitar splitter with as many outputs as Red Eyes in the rack. The Red Eye also can be used as an expansion box, creating extra transformer-isolated guitar level/impedance outputs for the popular Little Labs PCP Instrument Distro.

The heart of the Red Eye is a Little Labs custom wound transformer. This transformer was chosen for its sonic characteristics and is made with the same core material and winding technique as the legendary UTC transformers found in many classic pro audio devices.

Redeye functional description: From left to right:

Instrument in is the passive direct box instrument input, this can be configured to disconnect the rear instrument in jack when used in a fixed rack mounted application.

Re-amp/di selects whether the redeye works as a passive direct box or a re-amp box.

Local/exp in selects whether the re-amp source is the rear female xlr or the rear expansion in trs jack (for use with other redeyes as a multi out re-amp or guitar splitter)

Phase invert is a simple polarity reversal as you would find on a mixing console. Out is 0 degrees, in is 180 degrees.

Earth lift, when the redeye is used as a passive direct box, lifts the ground (pin 1) of the output male xlr. When used as a re-amp, it lifts the ground (sleeve) of the re-amp out jack.

Pad is an internal push switch reachable by a thin screwdriver to select the reamp in pad for +4dB (pad in). Pad in is used when the redeye is used as an extra output for the PCP, or with any +4dB line level inputs. Pad out is for use with low level devices such as an active DI without gain.

Re-amp level adjusts the guitar level/impedance output level, if used as an extra output for the PCP full up is unity.

Re-amp out is the guitar level /impedance output jack for feeding guitar amps or vintage effects .
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Addict

I know this question has been posed countless times, so why can't I remember the answer?

I'm all for these devices as splitters, because I recognize that there's magic involved when you try to play into 2 or more 30-year-old amps, especially with gutars of equal vintage, but....

What's to stop me from using any passive DI as a "Reamp" box? What benefit can i expect to reap from a box whose specific intent is to reamp, aside from the often-included trim pot?

I'm looking to justify a purchase here.
Old 18th October 2002
Little Labs

Good question.
Well so you have lying around a good old standard passive DI with the Jensen standard DI transformer in it, the JE DBe or something along that line. First of all turning the transformer backwards you are trading current for voltage and instead of losing about 20 dB you gain 20 dB and you want to actually lose 20dB. . If you put just a trim pot on the output of the transformer (hi Z side) you are actually worst off then feeding directly from your lo impedance source because of all that added gain, you have to turn the trim pot to a nudge above off for screaming level. Also the transformer doen't like that level and will sound crappy. So to make a short story long a hefty pad 30- 40dB must be inserted before the transformer loz side. Then a nice little trim pot can be put on the hi Z side feeding your guitar amp. So a bunch of adaptors a big pad and a trim pot ok no big deal ( an ugly pain in the butt, but it was done for years and it works). But hey, you do all that and it still doesn't sound all that great . Well the transformer in the redeye and I believe the transformer in the original reamp box were selected to just sound right in that application, the complex impedance of a guitar pickup is what you are emulating and the Jensens which are great but just not for this application. Winding a transformer with the wierd specs I wanted was something the hi end transformer people were not interested in.
Hope that helps rollz
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by mitgong
What's to stop me from using any passive DI as a "Reamp" box? What benefit can i expect to reap from a box whose specific intent is to reamp, aside from the often-included trim pot?

I'm looking to justify a purchase here.
Well when I try to do this the trouble I have is that

a) feeding a pre-recorded direct guitar part to an amp via passive DI, it usually sounds crap, i.e. loss of high end, loads of noise, general 'thin' sound.

b) half the time it doesn't work properly, e.g. loads of hum or buzzing, loads of noise on the signal.

Don't ask me why this happens, I'd be interested to know though. I know the backwards DI thing should work in theory, but in my experience it just doesn't usually sound good enough to use.

Out of interest what does the Redeye and/or other reamp boxes do differently to make them more effective?
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Head

Thanks Jonathan, your answer emerged while I was typing th post above!

Nick
Old 20th October 2002
Gear Addict

Yes. Thanks, Jonathan. I'm going to print your reply and show it to the guy who owns the place tomorrow!
Old 21st October 2002
Lives for gear

LL,

The rack mount version sounds great for guitar pedals, etc... Are these all custom? I hate to ask again, but bark park pricing on 4 racked up?

Ekk-you
Old 21st October 2002
Little Labs

The Rack mounts are a standard item they will fit the redeye, the ibp, the multi Z DI and other future stuff :eek: . Mix & match you know.They are $39. If you want to buy four redeyes rack mounted call me and I'll take a lil extra maybe like 10% off. I dunno the dealers are the ones to make deals with but no one has these yet. Hope that helps
Old 21st October 2002
Gear Head

So is this just a scaled down version of the PCP? I liked the PCP, but it's not in my budget.

Dave
Old 21st October 2002
Little Labs

Quote:
So is this just a scaled down version of the PCP? I liked the PCP, but it's not in my budget.
Sort've, the PCP has three re-amps, an active DI, a transformer isolated guitar splitter and a guitar cord line driver. The redeye is a single re-amp or a single passive DI. If for instance you already have an active DI you like, when used in conjunction with the re-amp in the redeye, the redye re-amp has a high enough input impedance that when you daisy chain them with the supplied jacks you have an instant transformer isolated guitar splitter (like the PCP). So if what you need is a re-amp box or a good passive DI for now buy the redeye when you have more bread buy another. You will always need passive Dis. When you are tracking guitars gather up the redeyes lying around and make your guitar splitter. The redeye is a good building block tool. If you want it all,at once, in one box, instant gratification style- buy the PCP.
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

REAMP®

I have been following this and other Reamp® threads with interest. Initially I just wanted to sit back and read what people had to say about it and not jump in with a sales rap. Unfortunately I can no longer sit back because others have decided to promote their own version of the Reamp. But first a little history: In 1993 when I built the first Reamp to save a Joe Satriani live bass recording I had no idea that nine years later it would be “common practice” among so many great engineers. I fact, I had to give away, for free, the first 50 Reamps that I had built to engineers in L.A. just in order to prove its usefulness. Now I receive emails every week from users who tell me how the Reamp has changed the way they record or how it saved a performance slated for re-recording. At this point there are over a thousand of my Reamps in use and the demand for more has been constant. The popularity of my device has encouraged others to cash in on my hard work and personally financed promotion of re-amping. This is what has prompted me to write my own sales rap. Aside from the fact that they are, in my opinion, infringing on my patent and trademark, they have not built a better device. The use of a custom wound UTC style transformer mentioned by one such manufacturer has always been a part of my Reamp design. This isn’t rocket science -- if you what a device that does only what it was designed to do perfectly, has been proven in the field by thousands of users, comes in an indestructible high tech aluminum box with a lifetime guarantee, then my Reamp is the only smart choice. $240.00 with free two day shipping in the U.S.A. >reamp.com<
Old 8th December 2002
Lives for gear

Blah. The Little Labs® version has a DI in it, and it's cheaper. I've seen tech's make reamp devices long before 10 years ago, so I hardly think REAMP® was the first to come up with the concept of reamping. To say "Reamp is the only smart choice" is just wrong.
Old 8th December 2002
Gear Addict

Well, let's see, that's just two posts, but both the exact same text. Both blatant advertising. I guess I should offer the same response, since it's never occurred to anyone else to use a transformer to change the impedence and level of a signal before:

For those who love their DIY, http://www.jensentransformers.com/as/as092.pdf

Although I'm sure the Redeye rocks.

Bear
Old 8th December 2002
Here for the gear

e-cue,

A few comments on your response to my post regarding the Reamp®. First off, Little Labs is not a registered trademark. Second, after tax and shipping charges the redeye is around $20.00 more than a Reamp. If one needs another passive DI and is willing to spend a little more money, I stand corrected regarding my comment, “smart choice”. Third, nowhere in my post do I say, “I was the first to come up with the “concept” of re-amping” Tom Lubin showed me how in 1973 with a passive DI. However, I did refine the design, package it and make it available. Apparently, that upsets some people for reasons lost on me.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Plus6
e-cue,
First off, Little Labs is not a registered trademark.
Sorry, I meant to be a little sarcastic with the "®" thing... I had no idea if little labs trademarked it or not. Guess it didn't translate over the net.

Quote:
Second, after tax and shipping charges the redeye is around $20.00 more than a Reamp.If one needs another passive DI and is willing to spend a little more money, I stand corrected regarding my comment, “smart choice”.
Well, again... If I bought your unit and a passive DI, it would cost well more than your unit. Besides, my unit WAS cheaper than yours. I also was unaware that you do not charge tax on your product. If you do charge tax, which I hope the IRS isn't reading this if you don't, then it's a mute point.

Quote:
Third, nowhere in my post do I say, “I was the first to come up with the “concept” of re-amping” Tom Lubin showed me how in 1973 with a passive DI. However, I did refine the design, package it and make it available. Apparently, that upsets some people for reasons lost on me.
Packaging a reamp"®" unit hardly upsets me. I just thought your post about your competition (little labs and the like) made it sound like you were upset that someone would come up with a better version of your unit at a better price (let's say that is ARGUABLE so we don't no in circles here).
Old 9th December 2002
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I also was unaware that you do not charge tax on your product. [/B]
The tax is included with the price and I pay all my taxes. Have a nice day.
Old 9th December 2002
Little Labs

First of all this wasn't a Reamp thread this was a thread to announce a NEW product called the Redeye. I sort of feel like how I did when the local gang bangers tagged my wall.

Anyway I suppose re-amping was new in a small northern California village in '93 but anyone who has been around long before that, unless they drank too much Grateful Dead jungle juice knows the concept, and devices that can re-amp have been around a long while. Also as John himself states re-amping is not rocket science, it is the bringing of a lo impedance to a hi impedance and dropping level whohee! Not a big deal. John Cubernetti is not the father of re-amping, It is more likely someone like Les Paul.

"Aside from the fact that they are, in my opinion, infringing on my patent and trademark, they have not built a better device."
"Apparently, that upsets some people for reasons lost on me."

Since I introduced my PCP and received letters from someone's lawyer I have researched and have found much of what the legal circles call prior art ...everywhere, USA and EU. So lets be clear I'm not infringing on the patent and I use the term re-amp which is short for re-amplify as used commonly in the English language and cannot be trade marked. Oh and the transformer in the redeye and PCP is custom wound, the transformer in the REAMP is a stock Magnetika 0-10. I used those originally and found a different winding sounded better.
Reamp however is trade marked so be careful using that term, you too could get a letter from our friend. As far as building a better device, are you kidding? Come on John, lets be real here the PCP is so much more powerful than the Reamp, as far as the redeye, I'll get to in a second why it is hands down a better device than the REAMP. This is not a bash, this is a fact.

Anyway lets hope someone doesn't come up with a patent on micpre for a mic-pre and start trying to collect licensing on every mic preamp. Geez would the recording world be better off with one mic or one compressor? Anyway I always referred people to the REAMP when that is all they wanted (sorry if I'm not using the registered mark, I'm not much for that formality in a forum environment and anyway I have no idea how to make my keyboard write that). Shouldn't creativity in making better gear and improving upon concepts be encouraged and applauded.

I think our friend George summed it up with this statement:

"Finally, what I'm proudest of is less in designing devices alone, and more in exploring the ever-expanding applications and uses of gear, and then applying that knowledge to designs. "
George Massenburg

Now in direct comparison why is the REAMP the only smart choice?

REDEYE: converts to a passive hi quality passive DI at the push of a button .
REAMP: no DI available strictly a re-ampifier.
REDEYE: re-amplifier input impedance 8.6kohm pad in 3.5kohm pad out (can be multed without loading).
REAMP: input impedance 600ohm fixed(too low to mult off an output).
REDEYE: Expandable can be used with any active DI or +4dB output and multiple redeyes to create a multiple out re-amp or guitar splitter with total isolation between amp heads. Jacks are provided for this and a switch to select it.
REAMP : Not expandable, impedance 600ohm too low to daisy chain and no jacks provided. Also ground lift switch lifts xlr pin 1, not the transformer output so no ground isolation would be available between amp heads (essential in this application).
REDEYE: Polarity (phase reverse) switch provided
REAMP: No Polarity switch provided
REDEYE :Three year warranty
REAMP: LIFE time warranty!
REDEYE: List price $250 Mercenary Price $225
REAMP: $240 with shipping and tax included

Well you be the judge , that Lifetime warranty is awfully enticing. HUH ? So maybe some of you gear slutz could encourage John and his affection for lawyers to get off my back. Spend a little more time and build a better product John, and then post your own New Product Alert.
I want to make cool gear and if someone wants to make even cooler gear well... that's cool with me.
OH and
In the name of good American competition and this guy bugging me I'll throw in free overnight shipping on the redeye if you buy direct and mention this thread.

Thanks and welcome John to a particpating role in the gear slutz forum.
All da best
Jonathanheh
Old 9th December 2002
Here for the gear

tut I will not respond to Jonathan Little’s personal attacks on me or comment on the ongoing patent infringement litigation. However, I will clarify and or correct some of his assertions he has made regarding the Reamp.

“Oh and the transformer in the redeye and PCP is custom wound, the transformer in the REAMP is a stock Magnetika 0-10”

This is not true. The original Reamp transformer was a UTC/OPT 0-10.
When the company went out of business I hired Altrans to duplicate it for me with some modifications.

“Come on John, lets be real here the PCP is so much more powerful than the Reamp”

I never mentioned the PCP in any of my posts.

"Anyway lets hope someone doesn't come up with a patent on micpre for a mic-pre and start trying to collect licensing on every mic preamp. Geez would the recording world be better off with one mic or one compressor?"

In the majority of cases manufactures will receive a license for a patent and then design their own unique device around it. Nearly every piece of audio gear has a patented part in it somewhere. Some will ignore the patents and hope no one will notice.

"Now in direct comparison why is the REAMP the only smart choice?"

"REDEYE: converts to a passive hi quality passive DI at the push of a button .
REAMP: no DI available strictly a re-ampifier."

I never wanted to be in the DI business. There is too much BS and everyone has his or her favorite anyway, and likely not a passive.

"REDEYE: re-amplifier input impedance 8.6kohm pad in 3.5kohm pad out (can be multed without loading).
REAMP: input impedance 600ohm fixed(too low to mult off an output)."

After much testing in the studio with dozens of set-ups we decided this sounded the best.

"REDEYE: Expandable can be used with any active DI or +4dB output and multiple redeyes to create a multiple out re-amp or guitar splitter with total isolation between amp heads. Jacks are provided for this and a switch to select it.
REAMP : Not expandable, impedance 600ohm too low to daisy chain and no jacks provided. Also ground lift switch lifts xlr pin 1, not the transformer output so no ground isolation would be available between amp heads (essential in this application)."

Grounding has never been an issue with any of the Reamps sold.

"REDEYE: Polarity (phase reverse) switch provided
REAMP: No Polarity switch provided"

Every console I ever worked on had a phase reverse so why sell someone another one.

"REDEYE :Three year warranty
REAMP: LIFE time warranty!"

I can do this because I have only had to repair three Reamps in nine years.

"REDEYE: List price $250 Mercenary Price $225
REAMP: $240 with shipping and tax included"

"So maybe some of you gear slutz could encourage John and his affection for lawyers to get off my back. Spend a little more time and build a better product John, and then post your own New Product Alert."

The Reamp does what I say it can do. I spend my time in studios making records.

This will be my last post on this Forum, it's been interesting.

Have a nice day.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Plus6

This will be my last post on this Forum, it's been interesting.

Have a nice day.
Dang. Sorry you feel this way. This thread kinda turned into an ERIK PART II. Well, good luck in the future none the less, and I was hoping to ask you a few questions about the new Tracy Chapman record, as well as all the DK stuff.
Old 9th December 2002
Hi JL hope your eyeball is on the mend..

One of your crack n hookers parties again?

heh
Old 9th December 2002
Hey I have a ReAmp & a PCP distro...

Cant we just all get along?

Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

Crack n hookers party again?
Them gearslutz sure know how to get down.
Old 9th December 2002
Lives for gear

And of course my damn image won't post... http://www.pantsonhead.com/spiderman.html
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear