The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shielding on KRK Series 4 - V6
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Shielding on KRK Series 4 - V6

Looking to pick up a pair of KRK series 4 but have to ask if RF shielding has been improved/incorporated.

My VXT6s didn't have RF shielding, any nearby phones would cause interference.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

I wouldn`t think it would matter these days, since everyone (mostly) has an LCD screen. ALL monitors I know of have this shielding, needed or not. Just MHO, you`d be a LOT better off getting some JBL LSR308`s.
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Nut

Yes they do, I advise you to steer clear of the VXT series.
A colleague bought the VXT4's recently, and couldn't stand the interference from his phone(s) & a nearby TV station.

A better bargain would be the Adam F series, if there are budget constraints.

Other options are also the Focal Alpha Series, esp. Focal Alpha 50.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm asking about series 4. Do they have better shielding now?
Old 13th April 2017
Gear Nut

If I was not clear in my previous post, I do in fact mean the Series 4 V4 I.e. the new equivalents of the VXT series.

My information is anecdotal though, best taken with a grain of salt.

If I were you I would not take the risk, unless you can audition a pair in your listening environment.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunbkk View Post
If I was not clear in my previous post, I do in fact mean the Series 4 V4 I.e. the new equivalents of the VXT series.

My information is anecdotal though, best taken with a grain of salt.

If I were you I would not take the risk, unless you can audition a pair in your listening environment.
It was not clear in your reply that you were talking about series 4, newer models than VXT. As I pointed out, I'm already aware of the VXT's weak RF shielding.
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Nut

Indeed, a small miscommunication.
Is it possible to audition a pair in your listening environment?

If not, I would strongly suggest a different brand.

There are a lot of choices at that price range.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunbkk View Post
Indeed, a small miscommunication.
Is it possible to audition a pair in your listening environment?

If not, I would strongly suggest a different brand.

There are a lot of choices at that price range.
JBL LSR308. Best you`re going to get for that money.

-For him, not you..
Old 14th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
JBL LSR308. Best you`re going to get for that money.

-For him, not you..
'Best' is subjective, at best

Plenty of options at that price-point:

Focal Alpha 50
Focal Alpha 65
Adam F7

But if I'm not wrong, he's already used to the tonal character of the VXT series.
Old 17th April 2017
Lives for gear

I also like JBL LSR series, especially for music and cinema work.

But for TV work I like KRK (tandem with Avantone mixcubes), my mixes translate quite well to broadcast.

So far, no answers on the SerieS 4 shielding.
Old 19th April 2017
Gear Nut

Isn't it possible to audition a pair at your local distributor?
As a litmus test, perhaps you could take along a couple of cell phones to gauge interference during playback?
Old 6th May 2017
Lives for gear

See SOS magazine they had an article where apparently the Series 4 reviewed were the 4/6/8 the KRK 6 and a sub were better then the 8. IIRC?

Good luck!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Lead Shielding Works!

Diagnosis: I unplugged everything from my speakers and turned off every appliance in the house except one of my KRK VXT6 speakers. When I put it on my desk the screeching noise was still as LOUD as ever. I tried moving it and the noise varied in volume. I tried running an extension cord from different outlets too but no change. I deduced that it is a fault in the amplifier that picks up and amplifies RFI interference from surrounding cell phone towers, line transformers and other RFI emitters. It is waaay worse than any other device I've come across. Great sounding speakers but poor design fault. I tried aluminum foil with no success, however...

Solution(s): I bought a thin lead plate (AKA lead flashing) from my local hardware store and folded it around the rear and side my noisy speaker, trying it in different positions. The noise dropped to a level that is barely noticeable (but still present in both speakers to some degree). It looks terrible but makes the speakers usable.

Next Step: I plan to dismantle the speakers and cut the lead flashing to cover (all electrical components on) the amplifier board. Does anyone know of a link where someone else has done this successfully? I'll let you know how it goes.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search