The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Here's a new dilemma...
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Nut

Here's a new dilemma...

Just looking for opinions...

I've got a chunk of money to spend and I'm refurbing my home studio setup. I'm trying to decide if I should go all the way and get ProTools HD....which would eat up pretty much my whole budget (maybe enough left over for the Waves Gold Bundle)...OR

Go for a Digi002 system and some more nice outboard and mic's. My total budget is somewhere around $11,000 US.

I've already got some nice stuff at home, 4xTelefunken V76m preamps, Manley El-Op, Sony C-37A, Senn 409's, JBL LSR28P monitors...

Thoughts? Any help would be appreciated. I've overthought this to death and need a fresh perspective.

Thanks!

-Moze
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

Before I throw any answers out, answer these for me...

What are you using to record and mix right now? What kind of work are you doing? How are you working, just one or two tracks at a time or do you need to get the whole band in at once? What do you feel is lacking in your current setup?
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Before I throw any answers out, answer these for me...

What are you using to record and mix right now? What kind of work are you doing? How are you working, just one or two tracks at a time or do you need to get the whole band in at once? What do you feel is lacking in your current setup?
I have been using PARIS up to this point. I need to move on since it's been given the axe. ProTools seems to be the standard and has the features I'm looking for with regards to sequencing, plug ins and compatibility for the future.
I track the bigger sessions (drums, etc) at work and bring the files home. This system would mostly be required to handle about 1-4 channels of input about 95% of the time...

-Moze
Old 17th October 2002
Gear Guru

I faced the exact same dilemma and just about the same budget last spring. I went with a bare bones Pro Tools HD system and I am not sorry.

Yes, I am hurting for some more outboard and some "essential" plug-ins, but I love the sound and power of the HD. TDM totally smokes any native system.

So I am saving my money and plotting the next additions, and borrowing mics here and there, but I feel like I have a "real" system and my clients feel the same.

Ultimately, it will depend on how you work and what makes you happy, but this is how it worked out for me.
Old 17th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Moze

I have been using PARIS up to this point. I need to move on since it's been given the axe. ProTools seems to be the standard and has the features I'm looking for with regards to sequencing, plug ins and compatibility for the future.
Is your Paris system still working? If it is, you don't need to move on just because the company is no more. I've got lots of equipment in daily use which was build by companies which are out of business; as long as Paris works for you, it's still a good tool.

If it helps, I'm still using Cakewalk 3.01 as my sequencing system. I even upgraded a few times, and then went back to this 10 year old software (which, by the way, is completely unsupported by Cakewalk).

Give us a more compelling reason to switch than the advertising...
Old 17th October 2002
If you decide to go PT I think the 002 represents a great deal.

Would you have $$ left over for a Cranesong Hedd too? & a Fatso?!!!!

Old 17th October 2002
Gear Nut

Dave, I appreciate your comments about using the unsupported stuff...I've got plenty of "unsupported" gear I use everyday. My main push towards PT is the fact that I use it occassionally at work and appreciate how it funtions. Also, most of the people I collaborate with are on the PT platform.

The main draw about going 002 to me is that I can pick up some cool stuff (Fatso, Trakker, maybe an ELUX251 or E47....stuff like that). In my experience, the front end of microphone and preamp gives you about 90 percent of your sound... And I feel somewhat more comfortable with big investments in actual GEAR rather than computery type things.

But...maybe I'm just not right in the head. Hell...I KNOW I'm not... dfegad

-Moze
Old 17th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Dave, I appreciate your comments about using the unsupported stuff...I've got plenty of "unsupported" gear I use everyday. My main push towards PT is the fact that I use it occassionally at work and appreciate how it funtions. Also, most of the people I collaborate with are on the PT platform.

OK, if your collaborators use PT, that's one inducement to change. If you like the way it functions better than Paris, that's another inducement.

Without having played with the 002, it seems that that would get you a long way, and at a much cheaper price than an HD system. So I'll endorse Jules' suggestion.
Old 17th October 2002
With your limited budget I would probably go with ProTools 002 and a Crane Song Spider...with that setup you can go into the 002 @ 24/96 (I am assuming 002 will support S/MUX, which in about a month the CS Spider will also) and 8 summed channels of D/A out of the 002 into the CS Spider and you have an incredible sounding setup for both the front end of your DAW and the back end for mix time. This will also leave you about $2500 or so to play around with for other gear.

Summing to an analog mixer always sounds far better to my ears (I think many will agree with me here) than summing inside the computer, no matter what software you are using. That will take care of a lot of your needs such as extremely high quality preamps, A/D, 8x2 summing for mixdown, and tape emulation DSP for rounding out the sound of the digital system. I'm not sure how you are doing in the mic department, but I think about another $6K can get you a really high quality mic locker. Here's an intersting thread on the subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...?threadid=1119

Good Luck with your search, I hope this helps.
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

I Agree with Nathan the 002 is the way to go with any Cranesong piece.Ive personally purchased every single cranesong piece from Atlas with absolutly no regets at all(By the way KILLER CUSTOMER SERVICE!!).There stuff just sounds Awesome.Go for it you wont regret it.
Old 17th October 2002
One with big hooves

In that case I'll agree with everyone else and get a 002 rather then an HD rig. Unless of course, you need the options of a full blown HD rig. Having better mics and pres will make a bigger difference in the overall sound.
Old 18th October 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
With your limited budget I would probably go with ProTools 002 and a Crane Song Spider...with that setup you can go into the 002 @ 24/96 (I am assuming 002 will support S/MUX, which in about a month the CS Spider will also) and 8 summed channels of D/A out of the 002 into the CS Spider and you have an incredible sounding setup for both the front end of your DAW and the back end for mix time. This will also leave you about $2500 or so to play around with for other gear.

Summing to an analog mixer always sounds far better to my ears (I think many will agree with me here) than summing inside the computer, no matter what software you are using. That will take care of a lot of your needs such as extremely high quality preamps, A/D, 8x2 summing for mixdown, and tape emulation DSP for rounding out the sound of the digital system. I'm not sure how you are doing in the mic department, but I think about another $6K can get you a really high quality mic locker. Here's an intersting thread on the subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...?threadid=1119

Good Luck with your search, I hope this helps.
Wow...I hadn't considered this option. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I never made the connection of using the Spider on the output... Thanks for the idea!

I wonder if those pre's are good enough to replace my V76m's?

-Moze
Old 18th October 2002
Quote:

Wow...I hadn't considered this option. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I never made the connection of using the Spider on the output... Thanks for the idea!

I wonder if those pre's are good enough to replace my V76m's?

-Moze
Well, you would still need 8 D/A's coming from the 002 to go into the Spider via line level analog. LOTS of options there, but even the lower intermediate lines of D/A are better IMO than staying in the computer, and you can always use the clock from the Spider to help out whatever you get.

Are the Spider's preamps good enough to replace your V76's? I won't say one is better than the other, but if you had to directly replace the V76's with the Spider Preamps because of finances (I've been there done that too a few times), I don't think you would be dissapointed. Good Luck Moze.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search