The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fostex 350...older mixer Mixers (Analog)
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Fostex 350...older mixer

someone is tossing me one of these...anyone ever touch one??

it's a little simple 8 track board, with direct outs (originally for recording 8 tracks to tape)

just wondering if anyone's ever played with these...maybe they're little gems with decent preamps or good eq?? eh?

they're certainly cute little boards with the vu meters.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Nut

I've got one in about a trillion pieces. I was given one that turned out to have a problem with one channel. Most all the op-amp ICs were 4560s, and it was murder to get at anything inside it. It was all built on one monstrous circuit board. If I would have had unlimited time and money I might have had a go at a total upgrade to OPA 2134s or such like, but....

Give it a try and see what you think! It's not the worst thing out there.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

yeah...im gonna give it a whirl...see if it's got some interesting color or something...

if not, i've got use for it in a practice p.a.
Old 21st February 2012
Here for the gear

Fostex 350 "anyone ever had one of these"

I just bought a 350 with the meter bridge off of Ebay from the origional owner in the ORIGIONAL BOXES and manual.After being in recording,radio and tv broadcasting for many years,I have always had a home recording studio.
I really like the 350.This one looks brand new.After years of being boxed up,I find just a little Radio Shack cleaner and lubricant does a fine job on the pots and faders.The EQ is not much on the board but I have external EQ anyway.
So to the question as to if the mixer is any good,I would say yes it is.
I find the meters on the mixer are not reading correctly.I haven't run any pink noise through the mixer yet.Does anyone know where I can find a service manual on the 350? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 22nd February 2012
Gear Addict

I think I had the 16 channel version of that mixer in my first setup in 1987. Had a really bright punchy sound, I remember the big boys at the Cleveland commercial studios commenting on how I got such a good sound and saying how impressed they were with Fostex mixers. Its worth fixing but for a couple of hundred you could probably find something newer with more channels and better features. You probably wont find any better sound anywhere near the price though. I know I tried when I bought my Fostex. I tried a EV, a tascam. all the usual eighties brands but nothing sounded as good. With all the mixers available these days I dont know if its adviseable to spend a lot on repairs on such a small mixer that old. Good luck
Old 6th December 2014
Here for the gear

Foxtex 350

I bought this mixer second hand it worked great for many years. I then moved on to a Peavey brand new 24 channel mixer and wondered where the punchiness and high end went from the sound I was used to. The fostex 350 has a great sound.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head
Any updates on the Foster 350, there is one on Ebay now I am looking at to use before my interface and DAW?

Would love to hear from an owner on how it impacts the sound.
Old 18th February 2015
Gear Head
Any updates on the Foster 350, there is one on Ebay now I am looking at to use before my interface and DAW?

Would love to hear from an owner on how it impacts the sound.
Old 19th June 2015
Here for the gear

I'm having trouble connecting my 350 to the fostex A 8 reel to reel. I'm not sure if I just don't have the right cables or if I'm just completely not understanding the main R/L to studio monitor connection spots. I'm using this with powered KRK speakers. Can anyone show me a picture of their set up or explain how to go about getting it connected?
Old 24th July 2018
Here for the gear

Jay - do you still have any of those "pieces"? I'm looking for fader knobs (missing one) and the meter bridge.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Pemberton View Post
I've got one in about a trillion pieces. I was given one that turned out to have a problem with one channel. Most all the op-amp ICs were 4560s, and it was murder to get at anything inside it. It was all built on one monstrous circuit board. If I would have had unlimited time and money I might have had a go at a total upgrade to OPA 2134s or such like, but....

Give it a try and see what you think! It's not the worst thing out there.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Can any one explain to me how to open the plastic case on the Foster 350 mixer. My power light will not turn on and I think it might be a bad fuse. Thanks for your help!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search