The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stage Mic that Sounds Like an RE20??
Old 20th March 2017
Here for the gear

Stage Mic that Sounds Like an RE20??

I normally use a SM57 on my vocals for rehearsals and live gigs. Just because I figure it is live and any old dynamic will pretty much do. I have a RE20 that I have had forever and never really seem to use outside of bass.

I stuck it on my mic stand just for the fun of it and sang through it. I noticed that it sounds more even and I can go more off axis with it and it stays pretty even. I really like it, but I wouldn't want to use an RE20 live.

Is there another mic that would be more practical for live use (smaller mostly) that would have the characteristics of an RE20?
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Addict

Is there a reason you don't want to use the RE20 live? It is a cardiod dynamic mic, so well suited to live environments. Yes, it is big, but not that big. If the RE20 sounds great with your voice then use it! You could also experiment with other dynamic mics that are a bit "higher end" than the good 'old 57. MD421 comes to mind.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaCali View Post
You could also experiment with other dynamic mics that are a bit "higher end" than the good 'old 57. MD421 comes to mind.
I agree, but I find the MD421 sounds a bit odd off-axis. The MD441, on the other hand, is fab.

I would also consider the Beyer M88.
Old 20th March 2017
Gear Maniac
Does the SM57, by any chance, go "pop" when you say the letter B or P into it?
It's an instrument mic, and needs a windscreen to cut down the plosives. SM58s have that built-in, but are otherwise very similar to SM57s.

An RE-20 will be fine on-stage, but if you don't want to take it out of the studio, I'd recommend you pick up an EV N/D767a.

Chris
Old 20th March 2017
Sky
Lives for gear

I've not been able to hear one yet, but the new Shure KSM8 Dualdyne Vocal Microphone may be a candidate for you. It is a dual-diaphragm dynamic vocal mic, designed specifically to reduce the bassy proximity effect, making it more "forgiving" according to reviews I've read. On their website, Shure cites both exceptional control of proximity effect and greatly increased working distance without on-axis coloration
. If you're able to try one I'll appreciate hearing your opinion.

Sky
Old 20th March 2017
tom yorke from radiohead used a re20 live on their basement tape sessions.
Old 21st March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
tom yorke from radiohead used a re20 live on their basement tape sessions.
I feel that's stretching the definition of the word 'live'. You know, no PA, no audience, 8' ceilings, no weed dealer in the bathroom (ok, I can't verify that last part), etc.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoolboy Jim View Post
I normally use a SM57 on my vocals for rehearsals and live gigs. Just because I figure it is live and any old dynamic will pretty much do. I have a RE20 that I have had forever and never really seem to use outside of bass.

I stuck it on my mic stand just for the fun of it and sang through it. I noticed that it sounds more even and I can go more off axis with it and it stays pretty even. I really like it, but I wouldn't want to use an RE20 live.

Is there another mic that would be more practical for live use (smaller mostly) that would have the characteristics of an RE20?
Go ahead and use it. Or if you want something smaller, look for EV "variable d" model mics. Same interior sound path, same even response. I think the RE-16 was one of the model #'s.
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear
KSM8 is a great one to check out. Current state of the art.
The Hiel may be worth a shot. PR 40 or 35?
Sennheiser makes some good one. 800/900 series
And if you want old school, EV666
Old 21st March 2017
Lives for gear

EV RE18 was one of the best stage vocal mics from EV, sadly out of production, but they do pop up from time to time. I have one, and an RE20, and there is a family resemblance to the sound. The RE18 is about 1/5th the size though. The RE15 and RE16 also sound similar, but they have terrible handling noise, which was cured in the RE18.
Since the RE20 is a cardioid pattern mic, I'd suggest you look for a cardioid mic, as opposed to hyper or super card, if you like being able to sing off axis. Maybe a newer model by EV. But, if you love using the RE20, then I'd say, use it. That's what mics are for, and it's not a super expensive mic anyway. IMHO. Good luck.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search