The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your unexpectedly indispensable 500 series module is...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Your unexpectedly indispensable 500 series module is...

As the title suggests, I'm interested in the vast array of cool new 500 series modules popping up that aren't quite the typical preamp, comp, eq. Seeing a lot of effects - distortions, reverbs, delays, tape saturations, filters. color boxes etc. Just curious if someone has found one that is proving itself worthy on most projects... I've just been OCDing out on pre's and comp's and interested in some of the fringe stuff... cheers
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Rnd 542.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

The Radial Reamping device for 500 series....

The DBX560A modded by Revive Audio

Anamod 660
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I really like Radial`s Tank Driver.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan View Post
Rnd 542.
yeeaaa this one has been on my list, I'm super tempted.

Have you ever used UAD/Slate/Waves plugins by chance? I'm sure the 542 delivers more but I'm curious to how much more it brings compared to the ATR/Studer/Oxide plugs etc.

Do track with it mix? Where do you place it in your signal chain? Cheers!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The MOOG 500 Series Delay, too bad they just discontiuebed them and the Ladder.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Have you ever used UAD/Slate/Waves plugins by chance? I'm sure the 542 delivers more but I'm curious to how much more it brings compared to the ATR/Studer/Oxide plugs etc.

Do track with it mix? Where do you place it in your signal chain? Cheers!
I have the UAD bx saturator, studer a800, and vertigo vsm3. They're all different; the 542 doesn't get as extreme as the plugs, and I think it's a more pleasant effect. I've only used the rnd 542 while tracking, because I mix itb. I keep the 542 last in the chain before the converter. Sometimes I run a mono signal through
2 542's in series, one with red silk and one with blue silk to get both ranges of harmonics. But usually I just run through one, with some tape effect to add low end weight and silk red to add some hi-freq saturation. I find that silk red is better than eq when I want a little more highs.

I used to have a 5042, but the addition of silk on the 542 makes it a whole different ballgame.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by reason108 View Post
I really like Radial`s Tank Driver.
I've been really curious about this, what do you use it on/how? Is it to get a more funky tone? I've read it can really detune your recordings so it may not be an everyday tool, just curious. Thanks
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_f View Post
The MOOG 500 Series Delay, too bad they just discontiuebed them and the Ladder.
No way! I love mine... it's wonderful. Glad I picked i up before they were discontinued.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snail View Post
No way! I love mine... it's wonderful. Glad I picked i up before they were discontinued.
They sound amazing! You should try and find a second one to link to for stereo. These units were so under the radar.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I love my Lola's. Very versatile.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onan View Post
I have the UAD bx saturator, studer a800, and vertigo vsm3. They're all different; the 542 doesn't get as extreme as the plugs, and I think it's a more pleasant effect. I've only used the rnd 542 while tracking, because I mix itb. I keep the 542 last in the chain before the converter. Sometimes I run a mono signal through
2 542's in series, one with red silk and one with blue silk to get both ranges of harmonics. But usually I just run through one, with some tape effect to add low end weight and silk red to add some hi-freq saturation. I find that silk red is better than eq when I want a little more highs.

I used to have a 5042, but the addition of silk on the 542 makes it a whole different ballgame.
Thanks so much for your time and input, that's awesome stuff. It's def been on my radar. I almost just pulled the trigger on one haha, but got to weigh my options a bit.

I've heard some describe as a quasi-compressor, cool to here you use is as an eq tool too. My room/monitors/converter/gear are all pretty good but I'm slightly afraid that might not be good enough to pick up the lovely subtleties of this piece.

I like and respect that its not in your face and aggressive though.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
They sound amazing! You should try and find a second one to link to for stereo. These units were so under the radar.
Yea these have been on my radar too! I finally saw a couple video's that impressed me more on these. Just a heads up, I know sweetwater has some on sale at the moment. I have some synths with audio in's but they're not really as convenient as these. Or as high-quality.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
The Radial Reamping device for 500 series....

The DBX560A modded by Revive Audio

Anamod 660
Thanks for the shout! I think I peeped that Anamod 660 a while ago but forgot about it. If i saw a good deal pop up on it I'd def jump. If I recorded drums I'd DEF pick up some of the modded 560a's.

Any reason why you went with the Radial 500 reamper vs one of there pedal format ones? I need one, but Im on the fence about form factor...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmm you are dangerous. I hadn't thought of that.

It's such an interesting unit in that it sounds odd and super dark when solo'd, but sounds super lovely and works so well in the mix. Really organic and tons of mojo. One of my favorite 500 series units for sure.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
I've been really curious about this, what do you use it on/how? Is it to get a more funky tone? I've read it can really detune your recordings so it may not be an everyday tool, just curious. Thanks

It just runs a signal out to a reverb tank in a guitar amplifier or stand alone reverb tank and back so you can add spring reverb to whatever you want.

This link will take you to Radial`s website so you can see a diagram of how it is hooked up. Radial Tank Driverâ„¢ -

It sounds really good on pretty much everything but will certainly give you a classic keyboard sound if you are looking for such a thing. Of course, is perfect for guitar too.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Lee Jackson Mr. Sprinngy
And of course the entire Colour analog saturation system
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Radial Reamper

I only have tried the Reamper in the 500 series format. I don't know how it is as a standalone but reamping definitely made my new, upcoming album sound extra special. Reamping is a new thing for me and it's making me very happy!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
I only have tried the Reamper in the 500 series format. I don't know how it is as a standalone but reamping definitely made my new, upcoming album sound extra special. Reamping is a new thing for me and it's making me very happy!
Very nice. So, I obv understand the concept of reamping. But what aspect of did you find most special? Did the guitar itself sound better due to using a higher quality DI then sending that to an amp? Or was it just being able to spend time selection an amp? Or adjust mic placement? I don't do a lot of guitar but really interested in this piece and method for when I do...
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

reamping

for me the best thing about reamping, is not only just the ability to focus on getting the guitar sound later, allowing me to focus on my playing while I record the basics, as well as reamping the bass guitar which I had originally done DI. When I'm recording myself I'm focusing on being an artist and not an engineer so I keep the setup as minimal as possible...often just going DI for the guitar also but sometimes using a splitter to play through an amp at the same time to get that vibe....

but even more of a game changer was Reamping my vocals to add FX to them which I can bring up and down depending on the section of the song...I ran them through a variety of pedals and rack gear which I otherwise would not have had a chance to use much...

and possibly my favorite part of reamping has been reamping my snare using a Lexicon LXP-15 gated reverb. Sometimes with a distortion pedal in the signal chain. Just experimenting with different sounds...

All of this stuff mentioned has really brought my latest recordings to a whole different place....

Last edited by boneshowell; 1 week ago at 08:53 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Sunset Sound Tutti

It'
s

a m
o
o
g
e
r
f
u
g
g
er
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

id throw my vote for the moog delay as well. grabbed a second when they went on discount. they are super dark chocolate and have lots of gain and timing. had the ladders for awhile too but didn't "get" it. haha

the radial extc is pretty sweet too. turns any pedal into a line level signal path without needing a separate DI. I had a pair but sold them when I got a new interface with reamps.

I also use my 542's religiously on everythaaang.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mack View Post

the radial extc is pretty sweet too. turns any pedal into a line level signal path without needing a separate DI. I had a pair but sold them when I got a new interface with reamps.

I second that! Love them; they are great for bringing in all one's guitar pedals into the mix
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
id throw my vote for the moog delay as well. grabbed a second when they went on discount. they are super dark chocolate and have lots of gain and timing. had the ladders for awhile too but didn't "get" it. haha
Yeah, super-dense / chocolate goodness!
Old 6 days ago
Another vote for the 542 here. Ill occasionally track with mine, but I tend to save mine for mix time. They have saved the day on tracks that sound thin or kinda blah. Really love mixing into them as well.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Another vote for the 542 here. Ill occasionally track with mine, but I tend to save mine for mix time. They have saved the day on tracks that sound thin or kinda blah. Really love mixing into them as well.
You guys are making it hard not to pick up some 542 magic!

Nice, so you have a pair you park on the mix buss and mix into? And by chance have you used some of the UAD stuff like Studer and ATR?

Last edited by szyam; 5 days ago at 04:29 PM.. Reason: typo, missed "not"
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
for me the best thing about reamping, is not only just the ability to focus on getting the guitar sound later, allowing me to focus on my playing while I record the basics, as well as reamping the bass guitar which I had originally done DI. When I'm recording myself I'm focusing on being an artist and not an engineer so I keep the setup as minimal as possible...often just going DI for the guitar also but sometimes using a splitter to play through an amp at the same time to get that vibe....

but even more of a game changer was Reamping my vocals to add FX to them which I can bring up and down depending on the section of the song...I ran them through a variety of pedals and rack gear which I otherwise would not have had a chance to use much...

and possibly my favorite part of reamping has been reamping my snare using a Lexicon LXP-15 gated reverb. Sometimes with a distortion pedal in the signal chain. Just experimenting with different sounds...

All of this stuff mentioned has really brought my latest recordings to a whole different place....
Wow, your def getting the most out of those reamp modules! Great idea, just running chunks of audio through here and there effect stuff. Post a link when you get this project online!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

I also use my 542's religiously on everythaaang.
Did you get the Apogee's with the reamp? Was looking at those.

"without needing a separate DI" this is kind of what's making me think of just picking up two (or a stereo) of their reamp send boxes and just using the extra DI's on my interface (or preamp) for the return? Might be a lil more cumbersome but I work with a patchbay so prob be streamlined...
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Did you get the Apogee's with the reamp? Was looking at those.

"without needing a separate DI" this is kind of what's making me think of just picking up two (or a stereo) of their reamp send boxes and just using the extra DI's on my interface (or preamp) for the return? Might be a lil more cumbersome but I work with a patchbay so prob be streamlined...
I got the Antelope Zen Tour that has two reamp plugs. Very cool!

Yeah that would work. I never had my DIs at the patchbay so using the reamp version meant running a cable to the foreign land of no patchbay. the extc eliminated that extra run.

now I have my DIs of the Antelope at the patchbay. lesson learned!
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

In true GS fashion, I just placed an order for a Moog 500 series delay ($200 off -- thanks for the tip off!) and a RND 542....

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search