The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does the Blue Baby Bottle Shine at anything?
Old 15th March 2007
Gear Nut

Does the Blue Baby Bottle Shine at anything?

For some reason I really want to buy one, it think it's just because it looks cool. Is it worth the money?
Old 15th March 2007
Deleted User
i love mine. i got it for an awesome price on ebay (w/ the shock and pop kit) new. i use it a lot on vocals (if it fits the singer), and on electric guitars. i've gotten into a habit of using it conjunction with a sm57 on electric guitars (each on separate speakers of the cab, make sure they are positioned in phase so you dont get ****ty comb filtering) and blending them during mixdown for increased tone control. very very cool mic.
Old 15th March 2007

It looks really cool.....

I'm sure it's useful for some things - I never did play with it much before it was returned to the owner....

-tINY

Old 15th March 2007
Lives for gear

I actually prefer the Blue Bird which looks exactly the same.

Paul
Old 15th March 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post

Paul
i have a friend who is really into using the blue bird for acoustic guitars and overheads. i haven't actually personally used them though.
Old 15th March 2007
Led
Lives for gear

We've got 2 of them and I find them a little middly, but they are good on elec guitars, and on the right vocal. They are a good addition to a mic kit but only as a different color, I wouldn't buy them as a first choice or workhorse mic. Yes they look cool. So does Gwen Stefani.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Can be used on guitars, but the stuff I usually do is WAY TOOOOO LOUD for the Baby Blue. It mostly ends up being a room mic...

Did a session this weekend where the vocalist did scratch stuff on it, sounded really good for his voice..
Old 16th March 2007

We have one at our studio but for vocals I use a Shure KSM 32 a lot more. I did a shootout between the two not too long ago and the BB sounded more roomy, I got the impression that it sounded as if it had an omni polar pattern instead of cardioid (compared to the 32), maybe our little room is the culprit. After that I got into the habit ("bad" habit maybe?) of taking out the KSM 32 first when recording vocals maybe it's time to give the BB another chance because to tell you the truth it doesn't get much use around here.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Nut

I want one too for some reason..............
Blue Bongo
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Nice mics but if you have a crappy room it'll let you know. I sold mine a while ago but I do wish I'd kept it.
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Addict

Baby Bottle sounds great on acoustic instruments - small percussion, strings, ac. guitar, woodwinds. It does something to the mids that I really like. I personally never found it useful on vocals, but I guess it all depends on the voice and the use.

Here's a viola into the BB through a GTQ2mkIII into a Lucid AD9624. (This excerpt is from the final master, don't ask me to dig up the raw track... )

I believe the guitar at the very end of the clip is also through the BB, but I'm not sure anymore.

http://www.kubilayuner.com/GoodByeSweetNightIntro.mp3
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

I like it on amps/cabs, some vox, and as a room mic. Nice little mic.
Old 16th March 2007
i once used it as a room mic for trumpet and it was so good! made the trumpet sound really real in a three-dimensional way.
gonna try it on guitar-amps next time.
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

Kick ass as a drum room mic in a big room- punchy.
Old 16th March 2007
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post

Paul
+1, I think it sounds better on more things...and it's cheaper.

War
Old 16th March 2007
Lives for gear

It has a real upfront sound. It's good for guitar amps. I think I used mine for kick drum before with ok results. I also used it alot for hip-hop vocals with good results on one particular rapper. heh
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Nut

THanks for the info guys. Do any of you want to sell yours?
Old 16th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geizo94 View Post
THanks for the info guys. Do any of you want to sell yours?
uh, no, of course not...

Old 17th March 2007
One with big hooves

I have a pair of Baby Bottles that get used quite frequently on electric guitars...I really dig the slightly rolled off top & bottom end...natural filters. They sound great on acoustic guitars & banjos too...horns are another common task. Absoultly lovely on trumpet & trombone... Leslise cabs are another good one.

When they work, they freakin' work.

They're not quite so lovely on a lot of things...I've rarely gotten one to work as a vocal mic, drums (even room), overheads, bass...either amp or acoustic, piano...yeck.

But that's not any different then any other Blue mic. I own a handful & have used a bunch more during my travels...all of those mics have a personality that's as distinct as the look. When they work on a source, they sound great. On the wrong source it's really, really bad.

The Baby Bottles DO have a really high output, I've almost permantely attached a pair of shure in-line pads, usually at -20dB. I love my pair a lot...I bought 'em when they first came out...serial number #44 & 45 and wouldn't EVER think of selling them. But at the same time I wouldn't want them as my only mics.
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Addict

I also like the BBB for certain hip-hop voices, especially if they have a higher, nasally sound. For aggressive or deeper vox, or aggressive sources in general, it overloads too quickly in an upleasant way.

I also use it for trumpet, acoustic guitar, percussion, and as a room mic while tracking drums. It really adds a lot to the drum sound. Quiet guitar cabs sound nice with a bottle too.
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have had good luck with a few female vocalist.....ahm, using the blue bottle.

heh
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I like it on amps/cabs, some vox, and as a room mic. Nice little mic.
Yep.
Old 18th March 2007
Gear Nut

I really liked I on Double Bass. A very clear but full sound.
Old 18th March 2007
Lives for gear

I think Kubilay and Jay Kahrs nailed it.

The Baby Bottle is not a workhorse mic because of the way its response is tailored.
What it does well, it does fantastically well.

I personally love it on guitars, acoustic and electric.

It doesn't sound bad on vocals, especially when compared to mics in it's price range. It is not eshy or grainy. It can sound nice when solo'd , it just doesn't cut through.

In all, I would say it is nto big and wide open sounding (on purpose) but it has very nice depth, is well controlled and very even.

Oh yeah, it is the quietest and loudest mic I have ever heard.
Old 1st April 2013
Here for the gear

I've done a lot of research on the Baby Bottle as well because I'm looking to buy one... It seems to do really well for the "jazz"-y types of sounds - brass, male vocals, and dark and soulful female vocals, as well as something like smooth hip-hop.

If you have a high-pitched voice, I would think that this mic would go really well with those as well because it almost "cancels out" the high, squeaky sounds. I personally have a low voice and would use it to accentuate the lows and make my highs really smooth.

Overall, it does seem like a really tailored mic, but I just wanted to add my input as I feel it could actually work well with certain vocal styles.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search