The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avantone mixcubes remorse? Studio Monitors
Old 1 week ago
People have different definitions of "mid-range" I think of mid range as being from about 200 hz up to about 6 or 7K
Old 1 week ago
The Mixcubes are specc'd 90-17khz, with a pronounced roll off at 150. I don't really think they get too close to 17khz in practice either. So, generally, they do cover that midrange fairly decently.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
Anyone buy a set of active mixcubes and have remorse?

I'm only 3 days in to my purchase and they are not what I expected.

I have a well treated mix room with mains that I know very well. I seldom have trouble with mid frequencies (mixcubes advantage)

However, I still do the "car test" and hear things that need to be tweaked. My stock door panel crappy single driver Nissan speakers.

I was hoping mixcubes would eliminate this "car test" and somewhat resemble crappy car speakers. But they do not...

And then there's the well known ground issue. The cubes buzz unless I use a ground lift. They have a massive power supply and ground switches.

So, anyone else have remorse? Right now I'm forcing myself to listen to them.

Some perspective would be great!
I found that they were useful for me to get the vocal, kick, bass, and verb balance right. I'd run them low volume, and just listen to what could poke out in the way that I thought was right for the feel of punch, as well as listen for how much the vocal was in front of the mix, and whether or not I had too much verb sticking out. They worked pretty well for that. But so did a simple pair of KRK rokit 5s. I didn't find them essential and returned them even though I liked them. I guess it depends on the person using the things.

I'd work with a pair if I was mixing primarily on headphones (and didn't already have other options). They do seem to get the job done as a sanity check when you know what to listen for and listen at low volume.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Just to reiterate the fact that it's not about tone.
My 'horrortones' sound great with the Loudness button in on my amp, but if I boosted every finished mix by 7dB at 100Hz and 7KHz, I would be in trouble.
Or maybe I should

No crossover means you get fantastic stereo imaging for one thing, less phase anomalies (practically none) in general, plus you really can set levels quickly.

The first day I used them (AKG LSM-50s, not Auratones), I could instantly hear that the overheads were too quiet for example, or that the vocal was just that fraction too forward, but to like tenths of a dB.

Apparently the best thing to do is to have them on the floor pointing upwards.

Here's an interesting article from 1983 talking about the AKGs but will apply to any grotbox.

AKG LSM50 Micro Monitors. (HSR Nov 83)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search