The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avantone mixcubes remorse? Studio Monitors
Old 11th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Have thought about Auratones, wonder if it would save me the time of downloading mixes onto my phone to check general levels. Seems so from this thread.
In terms of that, I've found myself getting a lot closer mixes that translate to phones and laptops etc (where lots of people listen).

It could be a case of just generally improving in terms of mixing and understanding (and I'm sure that's a big part of it)...but learning to use the Mixcubes has mitigated the sheer horror that I've gone through when slaving over a mix only to hear it on a laptop or phone.

Midrange used to be the enemy...I'd be scooping out all kinds of perceived junk there...only to realize the midrange has to be your best friend. Too much scoopity scoopity and you're just shooting yourself in the foot with machine guns and bazookas.

If you take away too much mid, thinking that you're cleaning things up and generating more clarity, what you're really doing is hollowing out those important frequencies where all the action is.

That's been my experience anyway.
Old 11th July 2018
People have different definitions of "mid-range" I think of mid range as being from about 200 hz up to about 6 or 7K
Old 11th July 2018
The Mixcubes are specc'd 90-17khz, with a pronounced roll off at 150. I don't really think they get too close to 17khz in practice either. So, generally, they do cover that midrange fairly decently.
Old 12th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
Anyone buy a set of active mixcubes and have remorse?

I'm only 3 days in to my purchase and they are not what I expected.

I have a well treated mix room with mains that I know very well. I seldom have trouble with mid frequencies (mixcubes advantage)

However, I still do the "car test" and hear things that need to be tweaked. My stock door panel crappy single driver Nissan speakers.

I was hoping mixcubes would eliminate this "car test" and somewhat resemble crappy car speakers. But they do not...

And then there's the well known ground issue. The cubes buzz unless I use a ground lift. They have a massive power supply and ground switches.

So, anyone else have remorse? Right now I'm forcing myself to listen to them.

Some perspective would be great!
I found that they were useful for me to get the vocal, kick, bass, and verb balance right. I'd run them low volume, and just listen to what could poke out in the way that I thought was right for the feel of punch, as well as listen for how much the vocal was in front of the mix, and whether or not I had too much verb sticking out. They worked pretty well for that. But so did a simple pair of KRK rokit 5s. I didn't find them essential and returned them even though I liked them. I guess it depends on the person using the things.

I'd work with a pair if I was mixing primarily on headphones (and didn't already have other options). They do seem to get the job done as a sanity check when you know what to listen for and listen at low volume.
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Just to reiterate the fact that it's not about tone.
My 'horrortones' sound great with the Loudness button in on my amp, but if I boosted every finished mix by 7dB at 100Hz and 7KHz, I would be in trouble.
Or maybe I should

No crossover means you get fantastic stereo imaging for one thing, less phase anomalies (practically none) in general, plus you really can set levels quickly.

The first day I used them (AKG LSM-50s, not Auratones), I could instantly hear that the overheads were too quiet for example, or that the vocal was just that fraction too forward, but to like tenths of a dB.

Apparently the best thing to do is to have them on the floor pointing upwards.

Here's an interesting article from 1983 talking about the AKGs but will apply to any grotbox.

AKG LSM50 Micro Monitors. (HSR Nov 83)
Old 28th July 2018
Here for the gear

When I first got them, I immediately had clearer mixes. My mixes hit harder and the overall sound was thicker because I was able to accurately hear and mix the mids. I did get the 60Hz hum but the ground lift took care of it. There is less hum if you only use one speaker, but I use two in stereo. So I ended up using two different circuits to get rid of the hum. I mix mostly in mono and I get great results in the car from mixing on these. Of course, there is one caveat, I use 3 pairs of headphones, an average sounding LG consumer speaker, a pair of HS50Ms, and a pair of HS8s with an HS8S sub. I also use a series of other techniques I invented. Every mix sounds good on everything on the first bounce...including my car. To be honest, I owe a lot of the power delivered by my mix to the mixcubes. Without them, and knowing what I know now about mixing...i would build my own single driver midrange speakers if no other good option were available.

Last edited by Mathematics; 29th July 2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 7th August 2018
Gear Head

I recently purchased a pair of Mixcubes and would like to make sure I'm getting the most out of them, so I have a few questions in that regard:

1. How important is on-axis listening with these? If I have them sitting on top of my mains, they will be aiming above my head. Will that be problematic, or will they still serve their purpose?

2. For those who advocate using only one, does it need to be front and center, or is it ok to have it off center?

3. Are they useful for anything besides setting levels? From most of the opinions I've read, it sounds like setting levels and doing fader rides is their forte. Are they at all useful for tuning dynamics processors or EQ, or is that best left for the mains?

On a side note, if I have them patched via a passive monitor controller, how long a cable run can I do before I have to worry about a loss in fidelity?

Thanks, Slutz!
Old 7th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximalC View Post
I recently purchased a pair of Mixcubes and would like to make sure I'm getting the most out of them, so I have a few questions in that regard:

1. How important is on-axis listening with these? If I have them sitting on top of my mains, they will be aiming above my head. Will that be problematic, or will they still serve their purpose?

2. For those who advocate using only one, does it need to be front and center, or is it ok to have it off center?

3. Are they useful for anything besides setting levels? From most of the opinions I've read, it sounds like setting levels and doing fader rides is their forte. Are they at all useful for tuning dynamics processors or EQ, or is that best left for the mains?

On a side note, if I have them patched via a passive monitor controller, how long a cable run can I do before I have to worry about a loss in fidelity?

Thanks, Slutz!
1. Yeah that'll be somewhat problematic. You wanna have them aiming nicely into the sweet spot of listening more or less like any other monitor

2. Centre probably, but off a bit won't break things

3. Yes, midrange. They aren't pinpoint for midrange but they're better than a kick in the teeth
Old 12th September 2018
OK just got one. First off, I'm pretty impressed with the overall build. Quite solid, feels and looks great. Maybe somethings have been updated since I thought i remembered hearing issues with build and options previously?

I love that it has a stepped gain knob, easy to level match with my main monitors, so when I engage these the general volume is the same. Love that the power cable is quite long. Cool it has combi input for trs or xlr, and a ground switch.

Still burning in, but the sound is exactly what I was hoping for, a great mid range. Using with my apollo twin, i just hit "alt" and "mono" to dig into these (i wish the FCN button could be configured to handle both of those but thats for a different thread).

Mine is slightly off center but I think thats fine for what I want, just to hear separation and overall level balance. Hearing a couple older mixes of mine, can hear where there is a little buildup in certain frequencies. I think I'll dig these quite a bit. Possibly pick up a 2nd.
Old 12th September 2018
Glad you like it. The build quality is quite good isn't it? They're certainly little chunks of hardware.

Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

So they are not good for revealing low mids mud?
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeorge View Post
So they are not good for revealing low mids mud?
There are frequency response plots kicking around that show decent content above 100Hz. Below that it tapers quickly off. My ears would agree with that. In practice I'd say they are an excellent tool for sorting out low mid mud, and also to help differentiate low mid mud from bass and sub rumble.

But I suppose it depends on where you define low mid :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 14th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
There are frequency response plots kicking around that show decent content above 100Hz. Below that it tapers quickly off. My ears would agree with that. In practice I'd say they are an excellent tool for sorting out low mid mud, and also to help differentiate low mid mud from bass and sub rumble.

But I suppose it depends on where you define low mid :-)

Cheers,
Jennifer
I don't need them for anything else ribbon speakers tend to be a bit weak.in this area so I need one just to help me down there.Can't justify yet to buy for that the Unity Audio Boulders.
Someone mentioned here they are useless in the low.mid 150 till 500
This is.sealed cabinet paper cone should be ideal for setting compression levels and times perfect time domain.and.woofer.material?
Old 14th October 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Someone mentioned here they are useless in the low.mid 150 till 500
Not in my experience of them.

Quote:
This is.sealed cabinet paper cone should be ideal for setting compression levels and times
Well, they certainly offer a clarity I find useful for that purpose. I'll often use them instead of the Genelec mains for this.

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by endorka View Post
Not in my experience of them.

Well, they certainly offer a clarity I find useful for that purpose. I'll often use them instead of the Genelec mains for this.

Cheers,
Jennifer
I hated Genelec for.compression and equing terrible.for.that always sounded good on them on others was shocking.Maybe they are just too flat.and quality and others are not but that's dont help.

If you say they do reveal the low.mid.crap then I might go for the cubes the only good.speakers sealed.for.midrange are amphions and.rocks.but they are over.2 k not.issue but can't justify it I.don't.make.any money labels.never pay,but I still.want precise sound.
Avantone mix towers kinda of have best of both worlds but the reviews are pretty bad for them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search