The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 3rd January 2020
Gear Addict

I believe it's shipping December 31st, 2018. But I could be wrong.
Old 3rd January 2020
There's some great examples of the Zulu in my new Drum Break sample pack: https://soundcloud.com/paulcheeba/gr...s-demo/s-gBL5S
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
I don’t mean to sound rude... but have you read ANY of this thread at all?

If you had you would know your question deserves a few laughs.
To be honest I only got through a few pages it’s unfortunate but on gearslutz there’s just so many pages of jibberish that I can’t imagine anyone who values their time to sensibly read hundreds of pages to try and locate a simply answer.
Sometimes I think hey if u ask someone for the time of day, it would be nice if they just gave u the time verse telling how to build a clock or try and tell you where the many places clocks are sold. So simply my question is - does anyone know if the rack version of the Zulu will be coming out soon - in a month , year , decade or never
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Guru

No. Nobody knows.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

I did a random search today on Reverb and it turns out there's a person selling one of these 15 minutes away from me. So I have the opportunity to take it off their hands. For those that own them, what do you think? Should I jump at it? The examples do sound great in Paul's drum break library.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
No. Nobody knows.
Where's the Shadow when you need him?
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
I did a random search today on Reverb and it turns out there's a person selling one of these 15 minutes away from me. So I have the opportunity to take it off their hands. For those that own them, what do you think? Should I jump at it? The examples do sound great in Paul's drum break library.
Plus a chain of world class hardware, recorded on the best mics and preamps available :D

I still want a Zulu-R FWIW. Might just get a M-A-S and/or 542's and be done with it.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Plus a chain of world class hardware, recorded on the best mics and preamps available :D

I still want a Zulu-R FWIW. Might just get a M-A-S and/or 542's and be done with it.
Yup, Paul is an all-star, for sure. He used something RND (maybe 542s or a MBP, but who knows) on some of the breaks. Plus REDD mics as overheads. It's an excellent library and includes individual drum hits, which I didn't expect!

I haven't thought about the ZULU or any of the Handsome Audio stuff for a while because of the issues outlined in this thread, but now I have this opportunity to grab the ZULU from someone in an adjacent city to mine who was the original owner of the unit. I feel like I need to jump at it or I'll miss out ... lol.
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Yup, Paul is an all-star, for sure. He used something RND (maybe 542s or a MBP, but who knows) on some of the breaks. Plus REDD mics as overheads. It's an excellent library and includes individual drum hits, which I didn't expect!

I haven't thought about the ZULU or any of the Handsome Audio stuff for a while because of the issues outlined in this thread, but now I have this opportunity to grab the ZULU from someone in an adjacent city to mine who was the original owner of the unit. I feel like I need to jump at it or I'll miss out ... lol.
If it's a good price for you and in good condition, you'll be able to sell it on quite easily. If the form factor doesn't bother you, give it a pop :¬)
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Head

In addition to all the business difficulties Langston may have, it should be noted that ZULU is still a fantastic device.
I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Attached Files
Old 6th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
it should be noted that ZULU is still a fantastic device.
I uploaded 2 files, one with ZULU as the last device on the Mixbus in front of the limiter, one without ZULU. I tried to match the level.

Because the song is an official release, it would be nice if someone thanked the artist for permission and listened to the original (Just follow the link: https://cutt.ly/Xritxp9)
Nice example - a sweet rounding off of the highs, more depth + separation, with just a tad more perceived compression.

I'm assuming that's a EX/HX + high headroom-type setting? Whatever it is, it's a tasteful way of adding a touch of glossy sheen to a final mix. Thanks for uploading.
Old 6th January 2020
Deleted b6cd99c
Quote:
Transformers can be tiny. Open up a Behringer passive DI and take a look.

They can't "amp" for sure.

Langston plays looser with the electronic and tape-machine vocabularies than a "schooled" electronic designer might, and some of his tales seem a tad tall, but his fan base doesn't care. People like the audio behavior of whatever it is that's inside that goop. I'm curious about both what's inside the goop and the motivation for the gooping, but it's low on my list.

And on balance, who cares what's in there or how he arrived at it? As I've said before, Alexander Fleming's penicillin saved literally millions of lives before anyone, including Fleming himself, had the faintest clue about how it worked. And Jed Clampett may have accidentally struck oil while plinkin' at varmints, but it's still oil.
I know you banged heads with Langston at times, on an engineery soundy type level. Respect for your balanced posts.
Waited ages for my Zulu when they were first mooted - got it eventually, so hope he comes through for all you guys who are waiting for gear.
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdenmorton View Post
Nice example - a sweet rounding off of the highs, more depth + separation, with just a tad more perceived compression.

I'm assuming that's a EX/HX + high headroom-type setting? Whatever it is, it's a tasteful way of adding a touch of glossy sheen to a final mix. Thanks for uploading.
Yes you're right. The setting is EX + Hi Headroom :-)
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
In addition to all the business difficulties Langston may have, it should be noted that ZULU is still a fantastic device.

That sounds great!
Old 7th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b6cd99c View Post
... hope he comes through for all you guys who are waiting for gear.
Me too. However you interpret the circumstances that brought the story to this point, two grand is a big deal for most everyone here.
Old 9th January 2020
Deleted b90f8c9
This might be a bad time...but would any Zulu owners be so kind as to proc. a couple of quick loops for me? I'm ITB.. looking to add something to my 2bus but can't decide what I want. Thx!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qx...HjwyJoxLIfrZL5

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16R...4-IRY3A0c45GPc
Attached Files

Spaced Out 1-8-20 100bpm.wav (7.42 MB, 2090 views)

Science 1-8-20 170bpm.wav (5.80 MB, 2088 views)

Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack2020 View Post
This might be a bad time...but would any Zulu owners be so kind as to proc. a quick loop for me? I'm ITB.. looking to add something to my 2bus but can't decide what I want. Thx!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qx...HjwyJoxLIfrZL5
I can do it, do you prefer a hi if setting (very subtle), a dirty saturated setting or something in between?
Old 9th January 2020
Deleted b90f8c9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
I can do it, do you prefer a hi if setting (very subtle), a dirty saturated setting or something in between?
Thanks! I added a second loop.

I would like to see what it's capable of.. but nothing too over the top. So somewhere in between would be great!
Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack2020 View Post
Thanks! I added a second loop.

I would like to see what it's capable of.. but nothing too over the top. So somewhere in between would be great!
I can make the 3 versions so you can decide afterwards. PM me you email, or PM me on Instagram with your mail, I’ll send it today
Old 9th January 2020
Where is a photograph of the Zulu R or JuJu.

Not a mockup, not a component, the device itself.
Old 9th January 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Where is a photograph of the Zulu R or JuJu.

Not a mockup, not a component, the device itself.
If you paid the $2K you're mad at this point, sure, but this kind of thing is counterproductive. If you didn't, well, leave it alone. Please.
Old 9th January 2020
Quote:
If you paid the $2K you're mad at this point, sure, but this kind of thing is counterproductive. If you didn't, well, leave it alone. Please.
"Starting with Juju
what is the best way to prove this thing is real short of shipping them?

The IG video was of the original case design. Detent pots and pushbutton switches were added to show layout.

The updated case mockup was highlighting the additional updates/changes made to JuJu's architecture.

Static clips don't seem to prove much to folks so what's better? Video with me turning knobs? More of a live in action sort of thing?"

That was 3 weeks ago. Take a photograph.
Old 10th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
That sounds great!
Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Hey, anyone using the Zulu in a patchbay? I though I read that someone had an issue with that but wanted to hear some feedback. I currently just have ties to mix bus but would rather move to patchbay... TBH, I just really don't feel like redoing cabling right now and thought I'd ask first. Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Hey, anyone using the Zulu in a patchbay? I though I read that someone had an issue with that but wanted to hear some feedback. I currently just have ties to mix bus but would rather move to patchbay... TBH, I just really don't feel like redoing cabling right now and thought I'd ask first. Thanks
I use mine in a patch Bay, seems to behave the same as when I had it floating around the studio
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mine is connected to my patchbay. Works fine. No issues here
Old 3 weeks ago
Mine's on the patch bay, along with a little Mackie 8 mixer in front of to drive ZULU harder
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I use one in a patchbay and have no issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I would like to use a patchbay once I get the Juzu.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
I would like to use a patchbay once I get the Juzu.
Then encourage everyone you know to buy a desktop Zulu. Or several.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search