The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
How would you compare ZULU to the 456 HDs? Ease of use, how they sound etc?
Both ease of use and sound go to the 456's, which I bought completely blind.

The 456's Gain is a win over the Zulu because you don't need to dedicate an entire preamp to it and also because it lends itself to a palette of saturation that sounds like it comes from within the signal instead of chiseling away at the face of it. Much like the 542's, none of the saturation colors sound cheap.

The 456's bias function can cover similar ground as the 542's Silk functions; left is smoother without feeling lowpassed and right is more electric without sounding spitty, and on that front it covers the Zulu's enhance capabilities. It's almost like an Attitude knob.

The last knob is a straightforward Trim and you likely already know the deal with cranking the gain - or the gain plus whatever is feeding it - and still being able to reel the output back in.

It's sturdy, legible, very accurately matched and has a tidy 500-series form factor. They're also cheaper than the 542's and, like I said above, sound more tape-like.

Hope that helps since there isn't much about them out there.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
You 're using the DI "frontwards?" With the Zulu feeding the instrument-level Hi-Z unbalanced input?
yes this was my understanding of how to route this the way it was proscribed
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post

The 456's Gain is a win over the Zulu because you don't need to dedicate an entire preamp to it and also because it lends itself to a palette of saturation that sounds like it comes from within the signal instead of chiseling away at the face of it. Much like the 542's, none of the saturation colors sound cheap.

The 456's bias function can cover similar ground as the 542's Silk functions; left is smoother without feeling lowpassed and right is more electric without sounding spitty, and on that front it covers the Zulu's enhance capabilities. It's almost like an Attitude knob.

The last knob is a straightforward Trim and you likely already know the deal with cranking the gain - or the gain plus whatever is feeding it - and still being able to reel the output back in.

It's sturdy, legible, very accurately matched and has a tidy 500-series form factor. They're also cheaper than the 542's and, like I said above, sound more tape-like.

Looks / sounds cool. Are the knobs detented?
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post

Thanks! Now I'm back to thinking strongly about getting a pair of those.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Looks / sounds cool. Are the knobs detented?
I don't believe so, which makes it a bit fiddly to match. Roger Meyer used to make a stereo version of this box in a half rack size with one set of ganged knobs for left and right, so while not detented, at least you didn't have to worry about matching sides, plus it's nice to adjust both sides with one knob.

Strangely he discontinued it and offers no such replacement. When asked, Roger Meyer just directs you to the inferior 500 series replacement (inferior for stereo processing, I mean, not sound-wise. I'm sure everyone would agree that given a choice, processing stereo with one set of knobs in one box would be much preferred).

I had sat on the fence for a while because there weren't any demos and by the time I had decided to get it, they had discontinued the stereo half rack box, so I passed. I don't have time or patience to match undetented pots in two 500 series modules for stereo. And I mean matching them properly by using tones and a scope / meter.

EDIT: SOS did a review on the stereo box. Here's the one they sadly discontinued:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...yer-456-stereo
Old 13th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I don't believe so, which makes it a bit fiddly to match. Roger Meyer used to make a stereo version of this box in a half rack size with one set of ganged knobs for left and right, so while not detented, at least you didn't have to worry about matching sides, plus it's nice to adjust both sides with one knob.

Strangely he discontinued it and offers no such replacement. When asked, Roger Meyer just directs you to the inferior 500 series replacement (inferior for stereo processing, I mean, not sound-wise. I'm sure everyone would agree that given a choice, processing stereo with one set of knobs in one box would be much preferred).

I had sat on the fence for a while because there weren't any demos and by the time I had decided to get it, they had discontinued the stereo half rack box, so I passed. I don't have time or patience to match undetented pots in two 500 series modules for stereo. And I mean matching them properly by using tones and a scope / meter.
Yeah I’m afraid non-detented or non-ganged knobs are a deal breaker for me.
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Check this out. A four channel 456 with preamps.

https://vintageking.com/roger-mayer-...BoCVmEQAvD_BwE
Old 13th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I’m afraid non-detented or non-ganged knobs are a deal breaker for me.
Hi Patrick,

Why is that? My real tape decks don't have stereo-ganged controls, nor do they have detented gain settings. This control interface seemed to suit most folks just fine for the last 40 years. I'm genuinely curious about this sentiment for detented/ganged controls. I find that having a set of dual mono controls allows me to get things perfectly, if I care beyond just setting the two knobs to point in the same direction. It also allows me to use it for dual mono purposes which makes it more flexible. I'd say 95% of the time just turning the two knobs to the same hash mark works just fine for me. And recall is no more difficult than having detents. For continuously variable knobs you simply limit yourself to pointing the knobs to the hash marks and no in-between settings. That's the same as detents functionally speaking. Case in point...my Anamod ATS-1. The Input and Output knobs for the left and right channels are not detented, switched, or stereo-ganged. I've never even once thought that they should be. I simply point the knobs in the same direction (a 3.2 second task), only using the hash marks as setting options, and get on with making music.

Brad
Old 14th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Hi Patrick,

Why is that? My real tape decks don't have stereo-ganged controls, nor do they have detented gain settings. This control interface seemed to suit most folks just fine for the last 40 years. I'm genuinely curious about this sentiment for detented/ganged controls. I find that having a set of dual mono controls allows me to get things perfectly, if I care beyond just setting the two knobs to point in the same direction. It also allows me to use it for dual mono purposes which makes it more flexible. I'd say 95% of the time just turning the two knobs to the same hash mark works just fine for me. And recall is no more difficult than having detents. For continuously variable knobs you simply limit yourself to pointing the knobs to the hash marks and no in-between settings. That's the same as detents functionally speaking. Case in point...my Anamod ATS-1. The Input and Output knobs for the left and right channels are not detented, switched, or stereo-ganged. I've never even once thought that they should be. I simply point the knobs in the same direction (a 3.2 second task), only using the hash marks as setting options, and get on with making music.

Brad
Hi Brad, good question, haha. And you make some great points, which are taken well, considering you're such a good designer and builder. I've been saving up for a Silver Bullet.

I understand that for many uses, detented knobs are not necessary - in fact unwanted. In my workflow, I'd be using a tape sim on a stereo bus or on the master bus. Sometimes for mixing, but also mastering. I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to left/right levels matching on a stereo mix or master.

Of course, if one wants the flexibility of using a stereo unit in dual-mono mode, stereo-ganged knobs don't work. Detented could still work though, especially if one were to have the right values on each detent - this would of course depend on the rest of the circuit and would have to be a very intentional design decision.

I've been recording for more than a couple decades, and I've used a lot of different gear. I have preamps, eqs, and comps with and without detents. All of my master bus stuff is either ganged or detented tho, and I check the calibration on the RND 5059 once a month. I guess I've just grown fond of the "exactness" - one less thing for me to mess up with my fat fingers - ha!

I know that nice detented pots cost more, but I think it would be cool if companies offered it as an upgrade.

It's probably just a different strokes for different folks thing, but since I do a lot of mixing and mastering work for clients, "close enough" doesn't cut it and I feel like I need to deliver results that are as matched as possible. I also need to be able to quickly recall mixes and masters sometimes several weeks after the project was allegedly finished.

Hope that answers your question - rock on dude!
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Another counterargument to the necessity of detented pots is the fact that pots are generally not manufacturered to very precise tolerances - meaning that while detented pots may allow for quicker and more precise recallibility than non-detented pots, they don’t necessarily gain you anything in terms of channel matching. If you want that then you probably want switches with hand-tested and matched resistors - and even that assumes that the rest of the circuit is similarly matched between the two channels.

That’s not to say that detented pots are worthless, but they’re not that much better than non-detented pots surrounded by numerous, easily visible hash marks.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Guru

Seems to me that when it comes to detents, matching and recall are two different things. Matching left and right using tone is usually more precise without detents. Recall (e.g. "8 clicks from full left") is more precise with detents.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

The accuracy of detented pots really comes down to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer wants to use high quality ones, they will be pretty accurate. I had Vertigo mod my VSC-3 with 41 step Alps detented pots for the threshold and make up gain and it's dead on for both sides.

Elysia is also legendary with how far it goes for matching detented pots, building testing equipment and having custom computer routines made that test each detent and create matching pairs. Dominik from Elysia once told me that they discard about 50% of their detented pots that the computer routines can't match with another. My Elysia Museq is as high end as a EQ can get and it uses detented pots for the left and right side, not switches. I've put it on a scope and the left and right side match pretty much 100% in all positions both on frequency selection and gain knobs. They were maybe off in less than 5 places total, and when they were off it was .1 dB, not more than that. Very impressive performance for detented pots.

There are extremely accurate detented pots out there, but whether the manufacturer of the gear wants to go through that trouble and expense (and pass that on to their customers) is another thing altogether. But my high end gear that uses detented pots has been remarkable and until something proves otherwise I do have 100% confidence in perfectly matched detented pots from specific manufacturers.
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Elysia is also legendary with how far it goes for matching detented pots, building testing equipment and having custom computer routines made that test each detent and create matching pairs. Dominik from Elysia once told me that they discard about 50% of their detented pots that the computer routines can't match with another. My Elysia Museq is as high end as a EQ can get and it uses detented pots for the left and right side, not switches. I've put it on a scope and the left and right side match pretty much 100% in all positions both on frequency selection and gain knobs. They were maybe off in less than 5 places total, and when they were off it was .1 dB, not more than that. Very impressive performance for detented pots.
Wow, that is dedication to quality manufacturing for sure!
Old 14th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Wow, that is dedication to quality manufacturing for sure!
No joke. I can't remember exactly, but I think Dominik had told me that's for stuff that uses regular detented pots (the Alpha compressor, Museq, Mpressor rack, etc) and that the discard rate actually goes up for their products that used ganged knobs, for example, the xpressor. With a ganged knob, the amount of decks on a knob increases and therefore the amount of detents that have to perfectly match L/R on a single pot goes up as well increasing the failure rate.

I can't find it now, but I can swear I also remember seeing EveAnna Manley talking about Manley doing something similar - building a custom computerized testing rig with software. I think she said something that when a batch of pots come in, someone spends all day assigning each pot a unique number and then feeding it into the rig. The computer then tests the resistance of each half of the pot and then at the end spits out results that tells them to disassemble all the pots and re-assemble them with parts from the each other to increase matching and minimize tolerances. For example it would say, at the end of testing, "Take the front half of #1 and put it with the back half of #36 . Take the front half of #2 and put it with the back half of #1 8" and so on.

It's a shame that manufacturers don't talk about this stuff more often. To them, it's just ways they've come up with to get around, or deal with the fact that component tolerances can be all over the place - nothing special, just the cost of building a quality product. But sometimes I think it'd be cool if people knew how much effort went into bringing you a quality product and it's not just designing a circuit board and soldering parts on it.
Old 14th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
Why is that? My real tape decks don't have stereo-ganged controls, nor do they have detented gain settings. This control interface seemed to suit most folks just fine for the last 40 years. I'm genuinely curious about this sentiment for detented/ganged controls. I find that having a set of dual mono controls allows me to get things perfectly...
I too still use real tape decks but I see variable detented controls are similar to the SLR (Standard Reference Level) on the Otaris in the sense that it is a calibrated fixed position. This way if you have several stereo effects in the chain you aren't meandering through different levels.

We've all had the struggles of making sure something is nicely balanced and IMO this just takes one aspect of that off your mind and allows you to concentrate on other things.

This isn't my world though, it's still balancing by the seat of my pants so to speak, but I do love, for example, a stereo compressor with individual depended ins and outs. And for a stereo EQ, being so critically sensitive, stepped controls is almost mandatory.
Old 16th December 2019
Quote:

EDIT: SOS did a review on the stereo box. Here's the one they sadly discontinued:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...yer-456-stereo
I was completely on the fence about the 500 pair for this very reason but not only are the knobs easier to match visually than the 542's but they're also just... more identical.

The 542's have markings only on the face of the knobs which means you've got to be looking pretty much dead-on to have any hope of matching them visually. The 456's have markings that extend down the sides of the knobs which makes any matching more immediate as it can be done from various angles. A small but useful detail.

My 456's are also better matched than my 542's. Using a test tone, scope and meter my 542's are always off even at extreme positions that cannot be adjusted by the user; one simply saturates sooner than the other. The 456's don't exhibit this; if they look like they're on then the scope and meter will show me I'm right there within a slight nudge. I have no idea how this goes with other pairs, of course.

But in any case I think creative mixing devices like this are OK to dial in. I just dial something in until it feels good and then match the other side the best I can. If I truly need anything 1:1 then I'll just use a plugin.
Old 16th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

All 3 circuits,
PAX is being slammed by the DOA follower that makes up gain for the Klint Filter EQ. So its getting rather creamy but not "set," to distortion. Its moreso a tickly distortion but its really sweet combined with INDUCT (which is tickling transients too on the compressor side but not super slammed).

Thanks
-L.
Hi, I opened this account to add my name to the list of customers who gave 2k to Langston Masingale and Tod Levine of Handsome Audio and never got a single reply, apology or any form of communication explaining why they took our money and disappeared. I tried all forms of contact, phone, email etc... As many have stated, all it takes is a simple email, customers are ready to understand difficulties, but Handsome Audio have chosen to hide, with our money. Regardless of whether you like them or not, everybody agrees that the way they're treating people has absolutely no excuse whatsoever. I'm a professional, i'm a composer, i work around the globe with every major network, this is my first experience "preordering" audio gear as I'm not an engineer, but this situation gives a very bad name to this preorder thing. In fact, I don't think i'll be preordering anything again. It's a disgrace. Interestingly they do keep posting on their respective Facebooks and whatnot. They just ignore the people pay, who help fund their projects. People are posting here as a last option to attempt to get refund, I mean... This is about principles, decency. This level of disrespect is something else. Beyond disappointed.
Old 16th December 2019
Gear Guru
Can you guys get your money back thru PP or CC companies? That really sux!!!
Old 16th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
The time limits to do that have passed.
Old 16th December 2019
Lives for gear

im starting to wonder if this has actually reached a level where this has become a criminal matter of fraud.

Does anyone have an estimate of how many pre orders were placed? Could there be 50? so 100k worth of pre orders that are gone? or something like that? It might be enough money to get the attorney general of new york involved.

Would be one thing if handsome audio wasn't posting or conducting business while at the same time owing many thousands to pre order customers with no explanation.

Another thing to consider is that it seems like Handsome Audio is not a real company, in the sense that it doesn't seem like they are an LLC or an incorporation (please someone correct me if i'm wrong) If that is the case, Langston and Tod could possibly be sued personally for this. While Langston doesn't seem to have any assets that could be seized, It seems that Tod Levine owns a recording studio and may be collectable.

I still think these guys meant well and got in over their heads but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Once paypal buyer protection expires the only thing keeping a company/person honest in this situation is their integrity and how much they value their reputation.

Even stam audio which was my previous benchmark for poor customer service (with great gear) is now looking pretty commendable next to handsome audio.

I can do some more research into reporting this as a financial crime ie where and how to do that so it's effective. Does anyone want to do that?
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

I understand Langston's behavior is not acceptable but is it a reason to now bash the Zulu desktop which at the beginning everyone praised ??
Still a wonderful unit , no ?

Sergio
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
The time limits to do that have passed.
No, the time limits are not passed. The time limit with paypal means nothing. If one is out an amount of $, that person will go to an attorney and file a lawsuit including claims for costs and damages.

But that's not really happening on this thread, now is it? This thread is just a bunch of people typing and yapping.

Not one single person has stated he/she has filed a lawsuit.

Therefore.....this is all just a bunch of people yapping/complaining about the weather.

And if you're so cheap that you dare to type "gee, but it costs money to file a lawsuit".....well....you probably deserve to regularly be parted with your finances in this particular world.

"Time limit has passed" my a**.
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
I understand Langston's behavior is not acceptable but is it a reason to now bash the Zulu desktop which at the beginning everyone praised ??

Sergio
Probably but good luck w/service...
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post

Sergio
I don’t see anyone bashing the product. What people are bashing - and rightfully so - are Langston’s shady business practices.

That said his behavior does have an impact on the perceived value of the product as it relates to reliability. The key part of his circuit is potted, which means that if anything goes wrong with it your only means of getting it fixed is by going through him. His behavior raises the very legitimate questions of a) if this is how he treats his paid customers before they even get their products, how can I rely on him when it comes to repairs, and b) if things keep going in this direction, will he even still be in business when and if I need my Zulu fixed?

Personally I liked what I heard of the Zulu Desktop in clips and I was excited about getting a Zulu R, but at this point I’m not even sure I’d buy a used Zulu Desktop from someone else unless I could get it cheaply. I wouldn’t be able to repair it when and if it failed and I have zero confidence in or desire to have further dealings with Langston. Perhaps others will be willing to take that risk, but having been bitten once I’m not about to go through that again.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear
I was an early adopter and supporter of Handsome Audio. I own three Zulu desktops and also joined the bandwagon for the Juju/Zulu rack deposit. Luckily, for me anyway, I was successful in getting my $2K back. This has gotten out of control.
Old 17th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead57 View Post
I was an early adopter and supporter of Handsome Audio. I own three Zulu desktops and also joined the bandwagon for the Juju/Zulu rack deposit. Luckily, for me anyway, I was successful in getting my $2K back. This has gotten out of control.
I'm in the same boat. I really love my Zulu desktop but I started noticing that whenever Langston replied to this thread he would always avoid the subject as to *when* it was actually being released. So at around the 7 months passed his supposed shipping date I demanded my money back. And after a week of harassment I got it back.

I feel really bad for the people that have waited this long now that it seems pretty clear that the whole operation has "jumped the shark". I want the best for Handsome Audio but this situation is obviously way out of hand and totally unacceptable.

I'm also done with this pre-ordering nonsense. It's kind of a joke really. With Stam I kinda accept it because the deposit is generally very small, but paying up front for products that don't exist, for promise of tones that may or not deliver is too fast and loose for my finances. From here on out I'm back to buying from reputable dealers. I may pay double the price but I know I can return the gear if I don't love it, and someone will help me if the gear goes south or doesn't show up.
Old 17th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
No, the time limits are not passed. The time limit with paypal means nothing. If one is out an amount of $, that person will go to an attorney and file a lawsuit including claims for costs and damages.

But that's not really happening on this thread, now is it? This thread is just a bunch of people typing and yapping.

Not one single person has stated he/she has filed a lawsuit.

Therefore.....this is all just a bunch of people yapping/complaining about the weather.

And if you're so cheap that you dare to type "gee, but it costs money to file a lawsuit".....well....you probably deserve to regularly be parted with your finances in this particular world.

"Time limit has passed" my a**.
I didn’t pre-order. I just posted a fact. The time limit to dispute with a CC company or with PayPal has passed. I wasn’t speaking about lawsuits.

Have you ever filed a lawsuit? Have you ever had much success in that department?

Sometimes your posts seem kinda mean-spirited.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Have you ever filed a lawsuit? Have you ever had much success in that department?
Yes and yes. Sometimes a dozen simultaneously. I protect my work and have little sympathy for those who do not actively protect their own rights in the courts.
Old 17th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
im starting to wonder if this has actually reached a level where this has become a criminal matter of fraud.

Does anyone have an estimate of how many pre orders were placed? Could there be 50? so 100k worth of pre orders that are gone? or something like that? It might be enough money to get the attorney general of new york involved.

Would be one thing if handsome audio wasn't posting or conducting business while at the same time owing many thousands to pre order customers with no explanation.

Another thing to consider is that it seems like Handsome Audio is not a real company, in the sense that it doesn't seem like they are an LLC or an incorporation (please someone correct me if i'm wrong) If that is the case, Langston and Tod could possibly be sued personally for this. While Langston doesn't seem to have any assets that could be seized, It seems that Tod Levine owns a recording studio and may be collectable.

I still think these guys meant well and got in over their heads but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Once paypal buyer protection expires the only thing keeping a company/person honest in this situation is their integrity and how much they value their reputation.

Even stam audio which was my previous benchmark for poor customer service (with great gear) is now looking pretty commendable next to handsome audio.

I can do some more research into reporting this as a financial crime ie where and how to do that so it's effective. Does anyone want to do that?
Absolutely, it's just a matter of finding their location to start the process. I haven't been able to find an address yet. But I'm in.
Old 17th December 2019
Lives for gear
Announcing the latest, ahem, vanity project from Handsome Audio - Icarus

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search