The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
My problem with things like this is repair. All well and fine to save money and risk someone not disappearing into a wasteland of health or money issues, but if the unit arrives damaged or you have problems with it what then? I wonder especially with complex products like Stams Fairchild.... Great with people who know electrical systems but if there's a hum or a bad channel, what then?..... I prefer to have someone that is on the case and has been in business awhile, with some kind of established brand (and pay more for the peace of mind)....
Very valid point! I can speak directly to your concern about the StamChild. I received mine at the end of August and I had some issues with my VU meter not responding properly. I reached out to Josh and he and his team took care of fixing it very quickly. They did it all free of charge and have been great with any questions I had.

I can’t speak to how a company like Handsome Audio would handle an issue with a product...simply because I’ve never had an issue with my Zulu.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Just to be clear, I love small companies and would have bought a Zulu and thought he was one of the good guys. Now not so much....
I was surprised when he slammed Brett who was not out of line, and he certainly was all over the thread then. Hey Brett maybe you're the key!.....

Zulu is rubbish and will fart in your general direction.... maybe that'll smoke him out!......LOL...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
My problem with things like this is repair. All well and fine to save money and risk someone not disappearing into a wasteland of health or money issues, but if the unit arrives damaged or you have problems with it what then? I wonder especially with complex products like Stams Fairchild.... Great with people who know electrical systems but if there's a hum or a bad channel, what then?..... I prefer to have someone that is on the case and has been in business awhile, with some kind of established brand (and pay more for the peace of mind)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
Totally valid point. If you buy something from API or SSL and it has a weird problem they're going to make it right for you and support the product throughout its life. I'm quickly learning what value there is to that. Same goes with buying gear from a reputable dealer. Here in Canada if you buy something from Long And McQaude and it breaks, or sounds bad, or never shows up (like Handsome Audio gear) then they give you your money back no questions asked. That's worth a couple of extra Hun for sure.
I don't own a Zulu but the big problem with repairing is that I believe he pots the essential circuitry so if it does break you can't just bring it to a regular tech to suss out the problem. If Zulu isn't in business to send you a replacement "top secret" op amp, you're square out of luck.

I know he did get called out on this (possibly in this thread hundreds of posts ago) and got huffy about the whole thing.

Bad service is a thing in the gear industry for some reason - I can list a lot of gear makers here I've gotten horrible service from, including some GS favorites, so I don't depend on good service since it's hit or miss. Accessibility of the circuit and repairability come in tops because I always assume if something breaks I'm going to have to bring it to a tech anyway because a lot of gear makers only care about building the circuit and selling it to you. After that, if there's a problem they either fall off the map or it's, "There CAN'T be a problem with the circuit I built!".
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I don't own a Zulu but the big problem with repairing is that I believe he pots the essential circuitry so if it does break you can't just bring it to a regular tech to suss out the problem. If Zulu isn't in business to send you a replacement "top secret" op amp, you're square out of luck.
Sure. But goop or not, nobody does quick servicing on this kind of thing on the component level. They swap out entire boards. And in the desktop version, at least, there's no power supply, no heat, almost no chance of it getting fried by a surge.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The bottom line is many of us would not have pre-ordered without this Gearslutz thread.

So much good stuff said about the Zulu.

It’s crazy he’s still selling on Reverb. I would expect they have a policy on businesses doing business like this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Has anyone opened one of these up?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Given the requests for refunds, he’s probably selling Zulu’s to raise capital to help complete production of Zulu Rack and Juju. He should have developed these consecutively rather than concurrently. Zulu Rack first since that’s the hot hand and product in high demand. Also seems like it would have been more straight forward to modify a design rather than to fully develop a new one (Juju). But straightforward usually isn’t as ‘fun’. Developing a new design can be fun, but can also become counterproductive because fun can interfere with the principles of business. Juju should have waited, and been an extension of Zulu. Man, good luck to you guys.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

When I think about the origins of all this hype..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Yesterday, I received two Neve 542s and a two space rack mount power supply to try. Given all my previous disappointments, I wasn't expecting much. However, got them hooked up and ran a recent mix through the pair, hitting the tape circuit pretty hard in 15ips mode. I got an immediate smile on my face. This was it! That's the sound I was chasing. Many people say they sound sort of like or have a kind of tape vibe etc. To me, it immediately sounded like a really, really good reel to reel.
Quote:
I had a pair of 542s for a while. ZULU smokes the 542. I couldn't get the 542s to sound much like tape. With ZULU it's unmistakable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead57 View Post
Thanks for sharing this info Rob Coates, sounds like we're all in for a real treat.
Quote:
Wow...this is not lookin good. Glad I didn't preorder a ZULU R.
Lessons learned: I will never pre-order again. and I will avoid threads initiated and propagated by guys who hype every new product they purchase
Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
The bottom line is many of us would not have pre-ordered without this Gearslutz thread.

Last edited by Mixxed Up; 2 weeks ago at 08:03 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Seems bizarre after all the spiel that he would sabotage what is potentially a huge portion of his market. I hope it works out for those that are waiting.....
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixxed Up View Post
When I think about the origins of all this hype..

Lessons learned: I will never pre-order again. and I will avoid threads initiated and propagated by guys who hype every new product they purchase
You keep posting this same quote and as I explained earlier, sometimes we get initially wowed by some piece of gear and then after extensive use...change our mind. Imagine that, someone changing their mind after using some piece of gear for a while with different sources (542s in my case). Yes, I should keep quiet about initial impressions I suppose. However, I have not changed my mind about ZULU. Still use it on nearly every track.

Last edited by Rob Coates; 2 weeks ago at 08:20 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
... seems like it would have been more straight forward to modify a design rather than to fully develop a new one (Juju). But straightforward usually isn’t as ‘fun’. Developing a new design can be fun...
I agree, but I also think it's a little more complicated than that.

Invention of any sort is a mix of design and discovery, with a lot of time invested in the refinement of it. At the one extreme, Thomas Edison designed the light bulb pretty quickly, it seems, but it took him over 6,000 tries to find a filament that worked. And even that one, carbonized bamboo, sucked. At the other extreme, when Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, the quick implementation of it saved lives long before he or anyone else fully understood how it worked.

Where I grew up, where there were no Alexander Flemings and lots of Jed Clampetts, that kind of happy-accident discovery is called “stepping in sh!t.”

If I had to guess, that guess would be that the Desktop Zulu came about mainly through discovery. Refined, certainly, in the sense that Langston had to have done a ton of work swapping various components in and out to see how they affected the circuit’s behavior. But the credit for the basic discovery has to go to Langston for taking note of whatever circuit-quirk he initially observed, and realizing that he could make something useful out of it. Bottom line, Langston stepped in sh!t. Just like Fleming.

That’s all one thing, though. Setting a goal and starting from a blank page is entirely different.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 2 weeks ago at 05:58 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Agree. My point is that focusing on the ‘re-packaging’ of Zulu-R would have been the best business move because he already had a following and lots of demand for Zulu and putting it into a rack would have created more business. Heck even building multi-channel Zulus would have been a smarter path forward. The profit from those sells could have been used to pay for the design and development of Juju, which seems to be what really excites him. You can tell from his posts about Juju that it’s what’s fun and exciting to him. But he’s asking people to not request refunds because it seems he’s essentially funding these designs with pre-orders as investments. I think he would have had greater profit AND preorder (investment) dollars if he had built and rolled out Zulu R, then worked on the design and production of Juju, while basking in the success of the Zulu line of products. Just seems to me that the repackaging of Zulu R would have been a safer business move for a small company like this. Let’s all hope he gets it all done.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
This is a little disconcerting. I wrote him on his reverb page over a week ago asking if he was going to run a sale, and I never received a response. So I ordered a zulu anyway, and it literally arrived yesterday and hasn't been plugged in yet. I have written him this morning asking for a refund of the difference.

I'll keep you all posted on how he handles my transaction...

James
Still haven't heard from him on my reasonable request...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I would be interested in picking up The passive Zulu, but I'm totally scared off by the components being covered in glop. Is it possible to repair? Don't care if it's passive and no heat blah blah, everything eventually breaks, and with his customer support record, that scares me off.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post

All 3 circuits,
PAX is being slammed by the DOA follower that makes up gain for the Klint Filter EQ. So its getting rather creamy but not "set," to distortion. Its moreso a tickly distortion but its really sweet combined with INDUCT (which is tickling transients too on the compressor side but not super slammed).

Thanks
-L.
Hi Langston,

It has been over a month since you have responded or posted anything here. You undoubtedly received the majority of your clients from this forum/thread.

You have continued to push sales of the original Zulu desktop on facebook and Instagram, so we can presume you are ok and not dead. However you do not respond to comments about Zulu rack or juju, sometimes even deleting comments.

I fortunately did not pre order, but I was hoping to buy the Zulu rack, as I had the Zulu desktop and enjoyed it. I only sold it because I was informed the Zulu rack was coming out soon. My mistake.

Why won’t you do the right thing and post an update here for all of the folks who have put their trust and investment in you? Any update is better than no update. Only takes a few minutes.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Hi Langston,

It has been over a month since you have responded or posted anything here. You undoubtedly received the majority of your clients from this forum/thread.

You have continued to push sales of the original Zulu desktop on facebook and Instagram, so we can presume you are ok and not dead. However you do not respond to comments about Zulu rack or juju, sometimes even deleting comments.

I fortunately did not pre order, but I was hoping to buy the Zulu rack, as I had the Zulu desktop and enjoyed it. I only sold it because I was informed the Zulu rack was coming out soon. My mistake.

Why won’t you do the right thing and post an update here for all of the folks who have put their trust and investment in you? Any update is better than no update. Only takes a few minutes.
What's amazing is, he'd get the benefit of doubt from most of the kind-hearted and forgiving individuals here at GS if only he'd just post something.

The whole incommunicado thing, is a very bad look. From someone apparently concerned about his appearance, it's especially so...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
And when you disputed the transaction directly with paypal....and paypal charged-back the seller ....what happened?
I ordered August28, 2018 (the first day of the pre-order - I was an excited, loyal zulu user....was being the key word here)

I think its too late to dispute paypal now - but I might ask to anyway.
You haven't received merchandise. Paypal is bound by all credit card rules just like a bank. Paypal has a hand in your account....and the seller. That's how they lift and deposit money. They have to return your money.

What-are-you-waiting-for?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
You haven't received merchandise. Paypal is bound by all credit card rules just like a bank. Paypal has a hand in your account....and the seller. That's how they lift and deposit money. They have to return your money.

What-are-you-waiting-for?
AFAIK PayPal refund request needs to be made within 60 days and a dispute needs to be filed within 180 days. Both have passed.

Please correct me if you have other information!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
AFAIK PayPal refund request needs to be made within 60 days and a dispute needs to be filed within 180 days. Both have passed.

Please correct me if you have other information!
That's my understanding too. It's one of the Achilles's heels of this whole prepay business model.

Stam, and now apparently Handsome, are in the same boat here. I just hope both companies honor their commitments even though PayPal no longer provides backup this far into the game.

I'm still hoping the Zulu Modular comes out one of these days. Though I will say, I was previously interested in jumping in early on the Zulu Modular to save money and enjoy the anticipated early adopter discounts. Now I'm not so sure it would be worth it, if it ever actually even comes out.

I hope Langston gets it figured out. He really should chime in on this thread. He's doing himself no favors by remaining conspicuously absent.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the zulu desktop still sounds great. that hasn't changed. I still use it on all my recordings and mixdowns. this whole situation has become distressing. nobody could have foreseen this turn of events.

hopefully this will be rectified by Langston but every single hour that goes by without a response it is looking worse.

Without gearslutz the Zulu simply would not have taken off into the world.

I was enthusiastic about the product for many reasons and one of them was Langston's charisma and enthusiasm. I trusted him enough to pay him cash in person for my orders. I didn't even ask for a receipt. If he want's to screw us all (and his reputation) he can. But I hope that is not the case.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
... nobody could have foreseen this turn of events.
Nobody, last July.

And I'm still really really hoping for a successful outcome here and happiness all around. But the possibility of this scenario became evident, at least to me, a lot further back than July. See 2561.
Old 2 weeks ago
Curious who tracks with the Zulu. What sources and settings? I’ve used the 542’s before and like them on overheads. Just to smooth out the cymbals and add a little weight. Can Zulu do this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Still haven't heard from him on my reasonable request...
Well, here is the response I received on Reverb. Remember, I emailed him a week earlier and asked if he was going to run a sale and no one responded. The VERY DAY my Zulu was delivered he dropped the price 15%. I respectfully asked for a refund to make up the sale difference. Here's what I received:

Hi James, Langston and I discussed your situation at length and based on
many factors we have come to the conclusion that we can offer you a $150
discount coupon for any Handsome Audio product. Not to be combined with any
other sales or promotions. We hope this will serve as a win / win solution.
We appreciate your business and know that if you love analog you will love
your Zulu.

Sincerely,
Tod Levine
President Handsome Audio
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:

your Zulu.

Sincerely,
Tod Levine
President Handsome Audio
LOL. You can put it towards a juju pre-order!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
LOL. You can put it towards a juju pre-order!
Right?????
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, here is the response I received on Reverb. Remember, I emailed him a week earlier and asked if he was going to run a sale and no one responded. The VERY DAY my Zulu was delivered he dropped the price 15%. I respectfully asked for a refund to make up the sale difference. Here's what I received:

your Zulu.

Sincerely,
Tod Levine
President Handsome Audio
You really think there was going to be a solution that didn't benefit them over you? The guy's a smooth talker...he's all about separating people from their money, not doing the right thing.
Old 2 weeks ago
1TP
Here for the gear

Man, this thread makes me sad. I was really interested in the Zulu, but I think I'll just pass unless I find one used. Don't want to support a company that does this kind of ****.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TP View Post
Man, this thread makes me sad. I was really interested in the Zulu, but I think I'll just pass unless I find one used. Don't want to support a company that does this kind of ****.
imho, after lots of testing, you're not missing out on much (despite the hype)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just a few weeks until the end of 2019

Time for Handsome Audio

To make an announcement
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
...he's all about separating people from their money, not doing the right thing.
I think that's a bit harsh. Per my previous posts, I suspect that Handsome may be at a point where their suppliers are afraid they won't get paid, so they're only delivering COD. And the suppliers might be thinking that because of what they're reading here.

All told though, I'm glad that GS has left this thread alive and active and amazingly unmoderated. Even without getting a peek behind Handsome's curtain, the whole saga is a college education in social media marketing and the small-scale startup process which could hugely benefit anyone thinking about a similar undertaking.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search