The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshowell View Post
Perhaps gearslutz moderators should impose restrictions on these kinds of sales, some kind of safeguards or checks and balances, but that may come with added costs.
Lol good luck with that
Old 9th November 2019
Here for the gear

I'm a year and a month invested in this - I'm not asking for a refund, obviously not expecting the product on time, and not even demanding an exact shipping date.

What would be nice - is just for once, some legitimate transparency and honesty. You can't really say, 'oh we're looking to ship in August', then weeks later mention you're meeting with your case supplier to talk fittings etc. Clearly, there was no plan to be finished when originally stated, so why not just be transparent? It's disingenuous and kind of insulting to propose these make-believe shipping dates, promises of pictures, samples etc - then deliver on some very limited examples months later - well beyond when shipping was originally slated for.

Is there a concern that if we knew the real projected finish date that too many people would back out? I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be much less annoyed by the whole process if there were just a couple real apologies and explanations for why it has taken this long, followed up with where we *actually* are in the process. I'd be totally cool waiting with those pieces in place. I can imagine the people backing out at this point are more annoyed with the complete lack of real response as opposed to waiting for what will prob be an amazing product.
Old 9th November 2019
Gear Addict

To me the scandalous part about it is that people had to pay in full, in advance, for two products that don't exist and were supposedly shipping in a month. It's ludicrous and a complete and outright lie. Never once did Langston actually have any intention of shipping these two brand new products on December 31st of last year, it was all BS.

Although the Stam model is a little annoying when he delivers things late typically people only have $100 on the line, and Stam doesn't make the lion's share of the cash until he actually ships the product. With Handsome Audio you pay in advance, in full, and never get your product. And I don't know about everyone else but I can lose $100 and not freak out too much, but people have $2000 tied up in this transaction. It's totally crazy. And I don't think I'm aloof to think that a whole year later neither products even exist in prototype form, and if I'm wrong about that show me a photograph of either unit in any kind of form.

Everyone here trusted Langston with their money, and he can't even come on here to tell people what the deal is. It's totally disrespectful to all the people that supported him. He needs to come clean and show his face on this thread. Gearslutz has done nothing but promote his products, for free, for all this time. And I love my Zulu desktop too and would love to see the company succeed and for everyone to get their products. He needs to get off instagram and stop taking selfies and start soldering.
Old 9th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
To me the scandalous part about it is that people had to pay in full, in advance, for two products that don't exist and were supposedly shipping in a month. It's ludicrous and a complete and outright lie. Never once did Langston actually have any intention of shipping these two brand new products on December 31st of last year, it was all BS.

Although the Stam model is a little annoying when he delivers things late typically people only have $100 on the line, and Stam doesn't make the lion's share of the cash until he actually ships the product. With Handsome Audio you pay in advance, in full, and never get your product. And I don't know about everyone else but I can lose $100 and not freak out too much, but people have $2000 tied up in this transaction. It's totally crazy. And I don't think I'm aloof to think that a whole year later neither products even exist in prototype form, and if I'm wrong about that show me a photograph of either unit in any kind of form.

Everyone here trusted Langston with their money, and he can't even come on here to tell people what the deal is. It's totally disrespectful to all the people that supported him. He needs to come clean and show his face on this thread. Gearslutz has done nothing but promote his products, for free, for all this time. And I love my Zulu desktop too and would love to see the company succeed and for everyone to get their products. He needs to get off instagram and stop taking selfies and start soldering.
I believe he underestimated what it would take to get this done. In retrospect it seems crazy to try to release two new products at once.

We are where we are. I want what I ordered. I think I’ll get it, but I would have appreciated more communication. My hunch, which is only that, is not being able to deliver proved overwhelming to him. Zulu has become an essential part of my mixing/tracking so I’m disappointed on how this went down, but I’m in. I get and am experiencing major frustration, but do not believe this was intentional. Clearly not- he is selling original zulus and is invested in the business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post

This is 100% correct. Langston is now almost a year late on the Zulu R and Juju - products for which he took thousands of dollars from who knows how many people - and almost a year later we still have yet to see any solid evidence of their existence in even prototype form. That is not a “Langston underestimated the amount of time and effort required” scenario - it’s a “he knew damn well they were nowhere near ready to be released and flat out lied to people about it” situation.

Langston has taken thousands of dollars from people under false pretenses, lied to his paid customers on numerous occasions, and attacked those long-suffering customers who finally got fed up and requested refunds or dared to talk about their experiences online. This is not the behavior of a well-intentioned but incompetent businessman - it’s the behavior of a rat.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What’s really funny about this whole situation is that even after everything he’s done and all the lies he’s told, it’s still easy to envision a scenario in which he chose a different path with his last communication and was able to turn things around.

Suppose that Langston, instead of attacking the customers he drove away through his own actions, came out with a message that said that Zulu R and Juju were in production, shipping would commence in a week, he sincerely apologizes for the unacceptable delay, and as a sign of good faith he would give those preorder customers who had requested refunds an opportunity to repurchase the product at the preorder price, since they had held up their end of the deal and he had failed to hold up his. Just think of how many more sales he might have made, how many customer relationships he might have mended, and how much better his reputation would be.

Even after all the lies he still had a chance to fix things, but instead he chose to show everybody his true colors one more time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

If Handsome Audio was my business and we took pre-orders based on a release date and ended up missing it by miles, I would do something like the following:

- Apologize for the delay and give solid details as to what happened and what the situation is now
- For those asking for a refund, you will still be able to purchase at the agreed price since we didn't follow through
- For those pre-orders that stay with us, we will take an extra $200 off

This way everyone gets something for what they put in. You can't have a situation like you have now where some are out thousands of dollars and get nothing for that and the inconvenience.

And maybe this delay was because he was improving things. If so, he should be talking about these improvements.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I received this email on Wed. Jan 2, 2019:

"I know it has been a long wait but this is our latest update regarding JuJu and Zulu R.
These two items are experiencing an unavoidable delay due to awaiting custom parts for both products.

We are working round the clock to get these two items out, but are waiting on a few remaining custom parts so that we can complete our production run. My apologies to our customers, but we are delayed at least another 3 weeks before we will have these items on hand. Customers may contact us via email if they need further assistance. On a more positive note we will be releasing production model videos soon for both items, so rest assured these devices are live and will see the light of day!"

I would have to dig pretty deep into this forum to find all the broken promises; from 'sorry we're late, going to send out some cool free stuff to those who are prepaid and are now waiting', and 'lots of pictures and videos next week' all the way to 'it's about to drop any minute now'.

Really not sure what's up with the radio silence, but I can think of about 20 reasons why it's a terrible idea and is the main reason people are still jumping ship. Rather than berating your customers, which is entirely hypocritical at this point, maybe just try communicating? I'm checking FB, Insta, GS, email, Handsome Audio webpage... all I'm finding is: 80% selfies, 18% Zulu desktop, 2% cryptic Zuju posts... at best.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Naming a company Handsome Audio entails a certain level of narcissism. Quite funny really, I always assumed it was due to good looking/sounding gear, but alas, after seeing FB it seems he meant his own face :¬)

On a serious note, to ostracise those who supported him from the start—denying further access to preorder prices—for wanting a refund (due to his own problems) is a disappointing turn of events. He comes across as very nice, but ultimately how you are treated as a paying customer is the meat of it, and that's not looking good atm. Many people here are being very patient and understanding. They deserve honesty. It costs nothing to give.

I've been so close to hitting the pre order button a few times, assuming (hoping?) things must be coming along nicely by now, but things seem to be getting worse. Genuinely concerned that the whole thing is going to fold.

Last edited by b0se; 4 weeks ago at 12:59 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
I’ve been supporting Langston since I bought my Zulu, which I REALLY love.
Spoke a couple of times on the phone, and exchanged a few messages on WhatsApp. Always had an answer on time.

Surprisingly, I wrote him las week (Whatsapp again) saying something like “Dude, people on gearslutz are really nervous about Zulu R and Juju delivery times and lack of communication, a friendly and unasked advice, answer back at least one short sentence for people know you are alive and still on business, explaining what is going on”.
For the first time, no answer, message marked as seen.
Unfortunately I see only one possible outcome to this, and it’s not the one pre-order costumers will like.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Recent post on Handsome Audio's Facebook page:

"Hey Langston, Could I get a refund please? I have asked nicely for the last month and received no response from any of your online platforms - meanwhile people are still receiving Zulu orders from reverb. I pre-ordered on the 28th August 2018 and I think I've been super patient - I appreciate the difficulties of building something new but I just want my money back now. [email protected] - thank you."

The only reason a company fails to issue a refund after a month of requesting while still active (shipping units, posting on Facebook, etc.) is it either lacks ethics or cash (or both). They may make a great product but for me personally, if it's the latter I can understand. Things like this happen in business especially with R&D. It's the ethical reason that to me is the bigger issue.

As customers we have to hold any one or any company to the fire that takes our money and doesn't give it back. It is one of the worst forms of disrespect because that money represents a person's time and when you combine that with ignoring emails, it's just unacceptable behavior by anyone or any business.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I mentioned this on a Stam thread and Stam said blah blah, we're not going anywhere. I'm not investing a bunch of money into gear without a guarantee, no matter how good it is. I do think Langston will come through and I get what people are saying about giving money back as a recompense for hassle.

I don't think that's an option as the profit margins on these things usually aren't huge. More labors of love that allow a modest living...... I don't think people on GS have any idea how difficult it is to develop a product. Hardware or software.......
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

This whole thing will make a great B-School case study, whatever the eventual outcome. Lots of great lessons mixed with more than a little mystery.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Did you wind up with matching sets of knobs?
Langston offered to send replacement knobs, but only had the newer version that I do not prefer, so I declined his offer. If it ever bothers me enough to replace them, I'll grab some matching chicken head knobs for both units.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
I don't think people on GS have any idea how difficult it is to develop a product. Hardware or software.......
Some of us do. Some of us also know what it’s like to run a business, and to manage customer expectations, communication, etc. Actually, given the size of the community here it’s likely that many of us have experience in one or more of those areas. Several of us have even offered Langston, publicly or privately, the same friendly advice as to how to improve his performance in those areas, and he has chosen to ignore it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Came back to this thread after commenting on the FB and I am so disappointed by what I’ve read.

At minimum, he should be replying to this thread once or twice a week with updates and answers, especially since he’s found a lot of customers here.

It takes 5 minutes or less to write an update, and then another 5 minutes or less to post said update to FB, IG and GS.

There is no excuse to not do this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
There is no excuse to not do this.
When a thread sinks below the first page, it's out-of-sight-out-of-mind. That's not an excuse, but it might be a reason.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
When a thread sinks below the first page, it's out-of-sight-out-of-mind. That's not an excuse, but it might be a reason.
There you go, first page, first thread, at least for a while.

I hope Langston answers soon.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I was the guy asking for a refund...still no reply....
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
Have you emailed him directly?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Maybe, but he didn’t seem to have a hard time posting here when he was trying to sell his product. Also, he has mentioned before that he posts more on IG and FB but he has also been unresponsive there as far as I can tell. I was actually interested in the JuJu and Zulu rack, but not anymore. It’s all really unfortunate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
Have you emailed him directly?
Twice, through his site. I've written messages on his posts on Instagram - I've dm'd him there as well.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The core of the matter is a serious inexcusable lack of communication. Plain and simple.

If Langston kept communication open about the status of things, his unexpected problems with delayed parts, his health/family situation that may trouble things, etc. he would still appear to be genuine and honest.
And people asking for a refund, ask them nicely to give it another month and if then things haven't turned around automatically refund part or the whole of the amount while communicating honestly about the how and why.

Radio silence is the worst one can do.
It may he because of unexpected cash flow, being stuck with not enough of the required parts, or having no more excuse to come up with, disease or just plain shame and frustration to have not met deadlines.

Whatever reasons, communicate them.

Judgement will always follow no matter what.
So come forward dont be afraid just speak out.
The longer one waits the worse it gets until it explodes.

I speak out of personal experiences and it doesn't matter, it applies always, in social life, personal relationships or customer relationships.

But I get him a bit too.
He depends on suppliers and some others, he may have underestimated things, he has run out of acceptable excuses and may well be completely fed up with the situation and what people say about him because of stuff he did not even have control of. He is only human and Murphy's Law always and everywhere applies.

But unless he comes out we dont know and speculation goes further hand in hand with serious frustrations.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Stam audio is another example.

Remember, small enterprises, one man boutique shops... a great gear designer doesn't make a great communicator nor salesman.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
... a great gear designer doesn't make a great communicator nor salesman.
Salesman? A+. Communicator? F. Designer? TBD.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The core of the matter is a serious inexcusable lack of communication. Plain and simple.
Exactly. This.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's more than that because they choose to post on Facebook and fulfill orders, ship, etc. and choose not to respond to this customer after a month of reaching out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post

Does anyone know what state Handsome Audio is based? A quick search of Handsome Audio on NY, NJ and Delaware corporate / business entity search comes up with nothing. Anyone who received a product have a shipping from address?

If I was out $1000+ and a company wasn't getting back to me for a month I would contact consumer affairs and / or the attorney general in that state.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Don’t quote me, but I heard rumors that Handsome Audio is involved with developing an amazing new product. Some type of microphone/preamp/mojo box combination that sounds so damn sweet even Doc Mixwell would be at a loss for adjectives.

Microphone design by Tony Merrill, preamp & mojo by Langston and it is being hand built by Stam! All parts made in China!!

Guaranteed Grammy boys. Get your advanced pre-pre-orders(aka Langston needs a vacation beeyatch!) in today.

Delivery is guaranteed - in the near future!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician View Post
It's more than that because they choose to post on Facebook and fulfill orders, ship, etc. and choose not to respond to this customer after a month of reaching out:

Does anyone know what state Handsome Audio is based? A quick search of Handsome Audio on NY, NJ and Delaware corporate / business entity search comes up with nothing. Anyone who received a product have a shipping from address?

If I was out $1000+ and a company wasn't getting back to me for a month I would contact consumer affairs and / or the attorney general in that state.
It's something that he's still selling his other products on Reverb
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMusician View Post

Pretty sure he’s in AZ
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search