The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

That is only a third of the feature set, I think? I too, want to hear more. The demo he did a thousand ages ago used all the functions. To me, it was excellent and got me on board.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
That is only a third of the feature set, I think? I too, want to hear more. The demo he did a thousand ages ago used all the functions. To me, it was excellent and got me on board.
I don’t think he ever did a juju demo. It’s a new product.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hmmm. I realise it's very hard to demonstrate the full capability of a flexible product in a couple of vids, but I can't help but feel a tad disappointed by these JuJu demos. The first video sounds better to me dry, and the second video—although better with the added brightness—doesn't seem like something unique.

The source material sounds a bit congested (mix wise), plus it's mono, so perhaps not the best showcase?

When I heard the first Zulu demos it was the opposite, I wanted one badly!

@ illacov - you should get a Zulu-R and JuJu on Access Analog (online hardware):

The Analog Matrix from Access Analog - connect to analog hardware in the cloud!

Great way to test gear. Many have bought Silver Bullets after testing it on there too FWIW :¬)
If source material is a concern, I made a public ask for source material for JuJu demos, the only consideration is no compression or wacky processing on 2 bus with about -6db peak.

Care to share something I can process

And bigfurry is right. I'm only showing off the PAX circuit in this demo because I'm damn proud of it. Simulating Germanium is not easy and yes it's not extreme but it's not in solo either. Be glad to share the PAX only passes of those clips here.

Juju has mutes. Not a bypass. If you mute PAX and Induct you're back to dry.

The Distortion circuit is running at less extreme settings here. Be glad to futz it up for you, but the whole idea is frequency bent distortion in parallel is the aim.

It's Dry + PAX and + Induct. Or various combos of those 3.

Thanks
-L.
Old 12th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
The demo he did a thousand ages ago...
Was that in this thread? I thought I could narrow it down by just scanning his posts, but there are 430.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Makes sense. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
If source material is a concern, I made a public ask for source material for JuJu demos, the only consideration is no compression or wacky processing on 2 bus with about -6db peak.

Care to share something I can process

And bigfurry is right. I'm only showing off the PAX circuit in this demo because I'm damn proud of it. Simulating Germanium is not easy and yes it's not extreme but it's not in solo either. Be glad to share the PAX only passes of those clips here.

The Distortion circuit is running at less extreme settings here. Be glad to futz it up for you, but the whole idea is frequency bent distortion in parallel is the aim.

It's Dry + PAX and + Induct. Or various combos of those 3.

Thanks
-L.
Run a drum loop and run a synth loop into it and turn the knobs in an extreme way.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, he did something on a rock mix, a 2buss treatment. It was really good. I’ll look for it when I’m off work, but Langston surely can reference it for us

And yes, of course it’s a new product. Right there with you. He did a short demo using what I guess was a prototype.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all!

First off, here's a short video demonstrating JuJu on a pre-recorded clip of music by Kyle Esposito.

I hope this helps shed some light on JuJu's layout and signal management.

Thanks
-L.
Hopefully this worked. Page 60, post #1778
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hopefully this worked. Page 60, post #1778
Yes. Works. Sounds really good.
Old 12th October 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds nicer in that vid. Anything level matched?
Old 15th October 2019
Lives for gear

All 3 circuits,
PAX is being slammed by the DOA follower that makes up gain for the Klint Filter EQ. So its getting rather creamy but not "set," to distortion. Its moreso a tickly distortion but its really sweet combined with INDUCT (which is tickling transients too on the compressor side but not super slammed).

Thanks
-L.
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

All 3 circuits,
PAX is being slammed by the DOA follower that makes up gain for the Klint Filter EQ. So its getting rather creamy but not "set," to distortion. Its moreso a tickly distortion but its really sweet combined with INDUCT (which is tickling transients too on the compressor side but not super slammed).

Thanks
-L.
Can you please show an a/b video that goes between Pax+induct+dry and the unprocessed signal with the volume levels evenly matched? The volume difference makes the two signals impossible to compare.

Also can we have our shipping updates?
Old 15th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatio View Post
Can you please show an a/b video that goes between Pax+induct+dry and the unprocessed signal with the volume levels evenly matched? The volume difference makes the two signals impossible to compare.

Also can we have our shipping updates?
That was my first impression with those u Tube vids. Levels were not even close. With levels matched there might not be as many oohhs and aahhhs
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

Is it likely we’ll see the ZULU R before the end of the year? I preordered such a long time ago expecting it for the end of 2018 and now I’m beginning to doubt it’ll come before the end of 2019. :/
Old 15th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have a meeting with our case supplier for Zulu R in 10 days. I'm bringing some of the IO boards for fitment confirmation and PSU spacing. Once that's completed I'll be making some shipping announcements for Zulu R.

Thanks
-L.
Some time this year is starting to feel like wishful thinking.

Unless I'm missing something, I think this is the last update we have received, over a month ago... The posts that we do get make it seem like it's still in the design phase.
Old 16th October 2019
Here for the gear

please level match the audio on the Juju demos. I thought that was common sense for demos since mostly every manufacturer/developer does it. They are totally pointless if not level matched to best ability because I can't make an objective assessment when the audio is jumping 10+ db between clips...
Old 4 weeks ago
JGM
Lives for gear

Last Friday @ AES I ran into Langston and had a chance to chat with him for about 20 minutes. With all the big names in the building, I thought it was pretty cool of him to take time out to speak to an ordinary Joe like myself. This is my 2nd time meeting him and I have to say his sincerity, and passion for what he does is very apparent. I'm sure some folks may not want to hear this, but I'm just calling it like i see it.
Of course I grilled him about the impending products we've all been waiting for for quite some time now. He didn't provide me any specific date, but reassured me that the wait is all but over. He said very soon.
@ Langston
Thanks for your time. It was very informative.
Keep up all the great work!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Saw a pic of Hank Shocklee with a Zulu at AES!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Is the 16 channel version still coming?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I emailed Langston a month ago politely asking for a refund for my Juju pre-order from the 28th of August 2018 - no answer.

I have contacted him twice through instagram where he posts fairly regularly - no answer.

I know he is deliberately ignoring my emails (it's bleedingly obvious) so I have am forced to call this bull**** out here. Is there a better way to reach him?
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalston View Post
I emailed Langston a month ago politely asking for a refund for my Juju pre-order from the 28th of August 2018 - no answer.

I have contacted him twice through instagram where he posts fairly regularly - no answer.

I know he is deliberately ignoring my emails (it's bleedingly obvious) so I have am forced to call this bull**** out here. Is there a better way to reach him?
I recommend Facebook chat. He ignored a few messages to me at first on the chat...but then I politely asked what kind of business would ignore someone who is considering buying a product from him and genuinely would like more information. He finally responded after that.

I don't have a pre-order on JuJu or Zulu R...but I was asking him when he anticipated they would be shipping. He told me May 2019. Glad I never sent him my money...because it appears no one has ever seen a working prototype of either...just drawings and some YouTube videos to hear what the JuJu can do.

If it makes you feel any better, I do have a Zulu desktop and it's absolutely outstanding. But then again...those have been out in the wild for years and can be bought on his Reverb account (which is where I got mine).

I truly hope he gets his business organized because I do believe both JuJu and Zulu R will sound fantastic.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think after 2020 there will be no acceptable excuses. Hopefully he delivers a big Christmas present this year.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
I think after 2020 there will be no acceptable excuses. Hopefully he delivers a big Christmas present this year.
I think honestly, as I see most everybody has been supportive and patient, all that the most folks who have the bundle pre-order wants is an actual shipping date.

No more no less, and that'll allow people to decide to either stick with it or ask for a refund. By not disclosing any information whatsoever, I could see how this as it drags on, that some people will jump ship. No?

I've been involved in two separate orders where I paid for units to be built, where for whatever reason it got delayed from the initial delivery estimates. One experience was extremely fraught, mostly due to inaccessibility and numerous broken promises, and the other just mildly frustrating but understandable and sympathetic because we kept the lines of communication open.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think I'm about to jump ship as well. This is BS. I'd still love to own a Zulu, but I'm quite disappointed in the Juju demos. Besides that I'm tired of waiting for something I paid for so long ago. Langston seems cool, but there is no excuse for the lack of communication. Hell, he doesn't even post here as often as he should.. and he knows we're watching the thread. Then he complains he doesn't know how to keep people informed. Don't insult our intelligence. You been holding my $2070.00 since April 2019. Those of us that paid you already deserve better. Period.

If anyone knows a good way to contact Langston for a refund please share. I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by Jeru215; 2 weeks ago at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect error
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I'm pretty frustrated too. But I imagine if he can't deliver the units he likely won't have the money to refund us. So I'm just waiting it out. I think he will come through. I believe he is a good person who is just in over his head with this product. The qualities that make someone an innovative gear designer and the qualities that make someone a great business person are very different and it would be unusual for one person to possess all of those qualities.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replies.

I'm very over the wait and the recent demos sound like crap to me (the volume matching is ridiculous). The original one sounded great but honestly I doubt it was even done with a Juju circuit as they currently don't exist. For the record, I think the Zulu is nothing special too - if someone can show me a proper demo where it sounds good, I'll buy one - but not on preorder.

I will try messaging on facebook.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru215 View Post
I think I'm about to jump ship as well. This is BS. I'd still love to own a Zulu, but I'm quite disappointed in the Juju demos. Besides that I'm tired of waiting for something I paid for so long ago. Langston seems cool, but there is no excuse for the lack of communication. Hell, he doesn't even post here as often as he should.. and he knows we're watching the thread. Then he complains he doesn't know how to keep people informed. Don't insult our intelligence. You been holding my $2070.00 since April 2019. Those of us that paid you already deserve better. Period.

If anyone knows a good way to contact Langston for a refund please share. I'd appreciate it.
Let us know if you can contact him and get a refund. My emails have been ignored. My guess is nobody is getting a refund. The money is spent. Either you will get your units or nada.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Wow really disappointing, thought he was one of the good guys. People should learn from Stam who has a great product but doesn't have customer service together. He's been around for a while and should know better.....I would bet on you guys getting what you paid for FWIW....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Wow really disappointing, thought he was one of the good guys. People should learn from Stam who has a great product but doesn't have customer service together. He's been around for a while and should know better.....I would bet on you guys getting what you paid for FWIW....
There's a fascinating Working Class Audio interview with him, if it's still available. Some interesting between-the-lines stuff.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I've avoided joining the chorus here, but after nearly a year since the pre-order, and the failure to respond to any of my emails, text, or fb messages, I think it's time to do this publicly. As many of you have probably discovered, we are well beyond the time window for resolution claims via Paypal or credit card companies.

Langston, please PM me or email me with information about how you plan to proceed with a refund for the JuZu bundle - the refund you promised you would honor on this same thread several times. Purchased November 25, 2018.
Old 2 weeks ago
Wow...this is not lookin good. Glad I didn't preorder a ZULU R.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search