The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New ZULU Thread
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have a Zulu and I’m currently using an old mixer to drive it.

Audio interface out > Mixer > Zulu > Audio interface in

I like the mixer only because shows the output level, but it’s not the most confidence inspiring thing.

What better options are there for driving Zulu? What are folks using?
Old 8th September 2019
Lives for gear

I think a lot of people are not fit for paid preorders and should rather wait until production are up and running. If that costs a bit more at least you will be more at peace.

Also maybe not all young companies should do paid preorders as it may hurt reputation and even lose potential customers. I know they get some cashflow to realise production but at what cost.

Seems like things are a bit much ATM as Langston doesn’t seem to stay on top of even responding to customers. I hope he’s read the E Myth Revisited book and start delegating some tasks to others so not everything is tied to his person and health
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckdaddy View Post
I think a lot of people are not fit for paid preorders and should rather wait until production are up and running. If that costs a bit more at least you will be more at peace.

Also maybe not all young companies should do paid preorders as it may hurt reputation and even lose potential customers. I know they get some cashflow to realise production but at what cost.

Seems like things are a bit much ATM as Langston doesn’t seem to stay on top of even responding to customers. I hope he’s read the E Myth Revisited book and start delegating some tasks to others so not everything is tied to his person and health
It’s not that people are not fit for paid preorders - it’s that a person and a company that repeatedly lies about release dates and the production of demos, photos, etc., that doesn’t respond to customer emails, and that can’t even find ten minutes (at most) in the span of a month to compose and post an update on his site, Facebook page, and/or the forums on which he hawks his products is not fit for paid preorders. Stop blaming the customers who have been lied to repeatedly for almost a year now and who simply want to be kept in the loop as to what’s going on - they are NOT the ones at fault here.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Hi Folks!

What is the best way to share updates? I'm not an expert on GS coding but regarding sharing updates - and yes they have been very recent - a good deal of them happen in IG and FB.

Anybody got a better way to share FB/IG posts to GS without sharing screenshots from my cell phone?

I have PCB gut shots, diary updates, filter system updates, a good deal but I'm doing more updates on social media these days.

Thanks
-L.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
I have a Zulu and I’m currently using an old mixer to drive it.

Audio interface out > Mixer > Zulu > Audio interface in

I like the mixer only because shows the output level, but it’s not the most confidence inspiring thing.

What better options are there for driving Zulu? What are folks using?
Mic preamps do a great job of this!

Pick your flavor, Neve 1073, ISA2, pair of Dakings, John Hardy Twin Servo.

Thanks
-L.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by programa View Post
langston when to you aspect to finish the ZULU R ?
I have a meeting with our case supplier for Zulu R in 10 days. I'm bringing some of the IO boards for fitment confirmation and PSU spacing. Once that's completed I'll be making some shipping announcements for Zulu R.

Thanks
-L.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecupboardmonst View Post
I think this is why there are frustrated people, including myself. Hopefully not mispeaking on others' behalf. I knew, based on previous endeavors- that this would be late, and I am alright with that... but there's minimal updates on production, and when there are, they don't seem too valid. I see people on here constantly saying that bothering him and and making him update will pull him away from actually getting the project done - but if still waiting on parts, then I'm not sure how the work is getting done yet anyways. Besides, seems like there's plenty of time for discussing functionality of the Zulu, so maybe spending 5-10 minutes every couple of weeks assuring the fanbase that it's still on track would alleviate the negativity around here. But maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I'm super excited for the units, but it's also fun when you invest in this kind of a startup to see the progress. Personally, I'd gladly receive my ZuJu bundle 5 days later than whenever they do show up in trade for a little more time spent on progess updates etc.
You're absolutely right. My biggest bratty complaint is I'd love to have a single platform to share updates that gave every audience the same user experience. I share stuff to FB, IG regularly and those followers get a different experience than GS which I'd love to know more about regarding syncing to the GS site from mobile. For IG and FB I can upload a video to IG and connect it to FB which then hits both audiences at one time without needing to convert files for hosting or loss of sexy format.

We've already had several updates on social media with PCB layouts, schematic posts, discussions about the inductor circuit, the PAX circuit with the newly dubbed Klint Filter, new clips are getting uploaded this week.

A simple and easy way to get access to these updates is to follow Handsome Audio on Facebook and to follow me on instagram. (PS is this allowed to direct traffic offsite for social media? I didn't post links for this reason).

Thanks
-L.
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
You're absolutely right. My biggest bratty complaint is I'd love to have a single platform to share updates that gave every audience the same user experience. I share stuff to FB, IG regularly and those followers get a different experience than GS which I'd love to know more about regarding syncing to the GS site from mobile. For IG and FB I can upload a video to IG and connect it to FB which then hits both audiences at one time without needing to convert files for hosting or loss of sexy format.

We've already had several updates on social media with PCB layouts, schematic posts, discussions about the inductor circuit, the PAX circuit with the newly dubbed Klint Filter, new clips are getting uploaded this week.

A simple and easy way to get access to these updates is to follow Handsome Audio on Facebook and to follow me on instagram. (PS is this allowed to direct traffic offsite for social media? I didn't post links for this reason).

Thanks
-L.
Just went to Facebook and saw a bunch of exciting stuff. Good to see!

But L, you gotta tell us where that stuff is or we are in the dark. It’s on you to tell GS at the very least “hey guys, cool post just up on fb”. Deal?
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru
GS is a great platform and reaches lots of serious people FWIW.... That's how I know about a lot of what I've bought. Stam hurt them/himself bigtime by not being responsive to complaints about updates. These units are a lot of money to small studios.....
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
Just went to Facebook and saw a bunch of exciting stuff. Good to see!
Worth a look for sure. Different tone there.
Old 9th September 2019
Quote:
Mic preamps do a great job of this!

Pick your flavor, Neve 1073, ISA2, pair of Dakings, John Hardy Twin Servo.

Thanks
-L.
I quit using a mic pre preceding ZULU (it was a DBX 386). The reason was the mic pre would overload and distort before I got a hot enough level into ZULU. I now precede ZULU with my little mackie mixer. Works way better.
Old 11th September 2019
Here for the gear
Yeah my plan for now is to drive a Zulu Rack with the preamp insert on my first gen SSL Nucleus. That should give me a bonus feature since the Nucleus' insert comes with a wet/dry blend knob.
Looking forward to that release because as soon as I see "in stock" I'ma hit that button.
Old 15th September 2019
Gear Maniac

@ illacov any updates on the chassis design of the units?
Old 15th September 2019
I drive my Zulu with a Silver Bullet and VariMu in front of it. Works great. Most of the extra gain comes from the VariMu.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I paid for my JuZu Bundle preorder late May or early April.. can't recall at the moment. BUT
.. I Had absolutely no idea I'd be out over 2 grand and still waiting for this long. I would've ordered a desktop Zulu and waited til things were actually happening.. or maybe just given up on Juju altogether.

If not for finding this thread I would be asking for a refund. It really pissed me off to send emails asking for updates and not getting any responses at all.

If I don't get my products by the end of this year I will not do business with handsome audio again. At least until they get their act together. I don't like being kept in the dark when you have my money in your pocket. There's plenty of other good gear to buy out there.. that only takes a few days to ship.

JM
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I have a meeting with our case supplier for Zulu R in 10 days. I'm bringing some of the IO boards for fitment confirmation and PSU spacing. Once that's completed I'll be making some shipping announcements for Zulu R.

Thanks
-L.
How’d the meeting go? Any updates?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Two Zulus For Sale On Reverb

Not sure if this is ok to post here. So apologies in advance if it’s not. I just know that many are on the hunt for a Zulu and might land on this thread. There’s that new Zulu (direct from Langston) and I just posted a used Zulu. Just an FYI.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

Thanks
-L.
Anything to announce about Zulu R and Juju?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just announced on Facebook they “are about to release” Zulu r and juju
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
Just announced on Facebook they “are about to release” Zulu r and juju
There's more to that post.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's more to that post.
“Handsome Audio is about to release 2 new amazing products! Juju and Zulu R. However, we need music for demos! No limiting, no compression. We need hip hop, rock, electronic dance, EDM, jazz, classical. We need all sorts of music to show off the prowess of these new entries to the music technology world. Please email me your music at the address in the comments. Files must be 24 bit WAV. 44.1, 48, 96 khz are the allowed sample rates.

Thanks!”
Old 3 weeks ago
Nah, what you need is to deliver the gear people paid for nearly a year ago. Make your marketing demos only after the last one is out the door.

The way this dude treats his customers is ridiculous.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripripstabstab View Post
Nah, what you need is to deliver the gear people paid for nearly a year ago. Make your marketing demos only after the last one is out the door.

The way this dude treats his customers is ridiculous.
Let's just be happy he's not posting pictures from Abiza with his hand around two chicks and a pile of cocaine on the table.

There is a product. That's good news.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockfresh View Post
There is a product.
Maybe.

I think that in the long run this is really healthy for pro audio, though. Going forward, anyone who wants to do pre-sales of a new product will have to have a working prototype.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Maybe.

I think that in the long run this is really healthy for pro audio, though. Going forward, anyone who wants to do pre-sales of a new product will have to have a working prototype.
Maybe. Hopefully, but...

It's not the first time this has happened.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
My biggest bratty complaint is I'd love to have a single platform to share updates that gave every audience the same user experience. I share stuff to FB, IG regularly and those followers get a different experience than GS which I'd love to know more about regarding syncing to the GS site from mobile. For IG and FB I can upload a video to IG and connect it to FB which then hits both audiences at one time without needing to convert files for hosting or loss of sexy format.
What about an email blast every couple of weeks/month to those who pre-ordered? Make a simple list from the emails of those who have already ordered either/both. Wouldn't mean you couldn't still post on other forms of social media; just seems a bit more proactive and doesn't require any one to use various forms of social media (personally, I don't use FB or insta - but have since looked to see whats going on there) as well as hunt out which ones have the most recent updates. Honestly, the main reason I even use GS at this point is just to keep tabs on what has been happening with this project.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Absolutely. From the order page on Handsome Audio's website it showed shipping dates of late 2018 for the Zulu R, Juju, and the bundle. This was May 2019 when I saw this too.

Based on that I was under the impression that those orders had been fulfilled and already sold out, and pre-orders for the next batch were being taken. Nowhere on the website or in my early emails with Langston was it mentioned that these units were still in development. I thought I ordered from the next batch of units from a small company that only makes so many units per year based on orders. By the time I found out that these things were still in the development phase they already had my money for several months.

I'm with you.. a working prototype will be required in the future, as well as much better transparency and communication.
Old 3 weeks ago
The moral to this story is NEVER pre order a new product. I never do. I wait until they're actually in the field.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Wow. I went to Handsome audio web page as I wanted to get the OG Zulu and wanted to check out the delivery to Europe. No stock there.. and a quick glance on this last page of this thread makes me wonder will I ever have one..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hmm... I paid for my Original Zulu on June 26... When I asked about it, I got the message that everything is alright. Nothing since...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search