The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New ZULU Thread
Old 4th May 2019
Lives for gear

Sorry if I missed someone's emails.

Please shoot me a text at 3154542255.
I've been swamped lately but text is best right now. I'm working on both zuluR and Juju currently and I fell a bit behind in correspondence.

Thanks
-L.
Old 6th May 2019
Lives for gear

Zulu desktop cases arrive Wednesday. Please keep your eyes peeled for shipping notifications!

News to come for Juju as well!

Thanks
-L.
Old 6th May 2019
Here for the gear

Alright! That's what I want to hear!
Old 6th May 2019
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Zulu desktop cases arrive Wednesday. Please keep your eyes peeled for shipping notifications!

News to come for Juju as well!

Thanks
-L.
What's the likelihood that Zulu R and Juju will ship at or around the same time?
I'm only asking because of your above message which I interpreted as Zulu desktops and Juju are close to shipping, or will be shipping around the same time. And you didn't mention Zulu R.
Good news all the same.

Thanks.

Last edited by JGM; 7th May 2019 at 03:29 AM..
Old 7th May 2019
Quote:

-L.
Bonza! Thanks, Langston.
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Also a couple questions regarding Zulu’s low end shaping capabilities:

- Does Zulu simulate head bump or just the saturation characteristics of tape?
- What frequency range does the low setting on pias affect? And is it a bell or a shelf? You’ve already covered the mid and high bands but haven’t talked about the lows.

Basically just trying to get an idea of my options with regard to shaping the bottom end with Zulu vs. other tools I have or am considering - trying to find things that complement each other in order to maximize versatility while minimizing redundancy.

Thanks!
Zulu simulates head bump, high frequency compression, saturation characteristics as a side effect of compression vs gain.

Pias bass setting is a broad range of 150hz and down on a shelf.

To be perfectly honest, Zulu compliments everything.

I just ran a Zulu as a limiter test last night.
Check this out.

I set Zulu to HX mode, turned Deck to Bypass, Bias to Bypass, Enhance to 1 click before 100% and LO Headroom. It does this amazing job of sounding open, taming all transients and limiting dynamic range, while still sounding super analog and easily outperforms digital limiters in retaining punch and doing gobs of reduction before distortion. I got a rock master to -12/-11 RMS last night with this setting and no other equipment. Adding in a digital limiter and you get where I'm going with this.

Thanks
-L.
Old 8th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Zulu simulates head bump, high frequency compression, saturation characteristics as a side effect of compression vs gain.

Pias bass setting is a broad range of 150hz and down on a shelf.

To be perfectly honest, Zulu compliments everything.

I just ran a Zulu as a limiter test last night.
Check this out.

I set Zulu to HX mode, turned Deck to Bypass, Bias to Bypass, Enhance to 1 click before 100% and LO Headroom. It does this amazing job of sounding open, taming all transients and limiting dynamic range, while still sounding super analog and easily outperforms digital limiters in retaining punch and doing gobs of reduction before distortion. I got a rock master to -12/-11 RMS last night with this setting and no other equipment. Adding in a digital limiter and you get where I'm going with this.

Thanks
-L.
How did you fed the Zulu? I mean, Zulu probably worked as “Output Cieling” and what did you use as a Threshold or Gain?
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear
Very interesting, Langston. Will have to try this!
Old 8th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoFrugoni View Post
How did you fed the Zulu? I mean, Zulu probably worked as “Output Cieling” and what did you use as a Threshold or Gain?
Honestly, all you do is the following:

Attenuate the return from Zulu in your hardware loop ITB so that you are hearing things at a much quieter volume.

Then push the input of Zulu with the send until you hear glaring distortion. Now back off until you don't hear that glaring distortion anymore. Its also very important to make sure you're familiar with the source material. Sometimes there are distorted sounds in sources to begin with and you don't want to be tricked into thinking Zulu is causing that because you're driving it too hard. Be sure of what you're hearing! Once you no longer hear that distortion or hairiness, you can now set the return to its normal volume or operating level that you need to have good gain staging after Zulu. In my setting I wanted it to be as close as possible to returning ~-.5 so I did about 10db of makeup gain in digital. Still a very quiet result around -92db noisefloor.

This is the best way to do this with all Zulu formulas when you're mixing, but I'm sure it works for tracking as well.

Try it out!!!

Thanks
-L.
Old 8th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Langston, you think we can get another juju sample while we wait on orders? Maybe on some modern hip hop stuff.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate855 View Post
Hey Langston, you think we can get another juju sample while we wait on orders? Maybe on some modern hip hop stuff.
Yeah I'd like to hear it on some trap stuff as well to see what it does for 808s and trap hi hats. I bet it sounds incredible!
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate855 View Post
Got any material I can run through it?

I can ask around. Most of my users do industry work so I can't just share their stuff without permission.

Thanks
-L.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a thought, but perhaps it might not be a bad idea to compile a list either here or on your site of Zulu settings (with both the positions of the Zulu controls and the level going into the device) that seek to emulate specific decks/formulations/etc. Obviously a device like this calls for experimentation and I’ve never been a proponent of mindlessly using presets, but having some reference points from which to start might help people get a better idea of how to approach the device and to get the most out of it. People seeking to emulate a particular sound could start with the reference point closest to what they’re after and then tweak from there.
Old 10th May 2019
Here for the gear

What is the difference between zulu and zulu R (19" version)?

Does the zulu r 1250$ contain more premium parts then the desktop zulu 750$ ?

when you choose on the zulu the option Deck and option 4 (bypass) is that a full bypass of the circuit ?
(the demo sound of the zulu sounds really good)
Old 4 weeks ago
Hmmmm. It's very quiet all of a sudden.

Anybody got updates on when Zulu orders are shipping? I'm in the dark.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just a thought, but perhaps it might not be a bad idea to compile a list either here or on your site of Zulu settings (with both the positions of the Zulu controls and the level going into the device) that seek to emulate specific decks/formulations/etc. Obviously a device like this calls for experimentation and I’ve never been a proponent of mindlessly using presets, but having some reference points from which to start might help people get a better idea of how to approach the device and to get the most out of it. People seeking to emulate a particular sound could start with the reference point closest to what they’re after and then tweak from there.
Quote:
Great idea!

I can use our recall sheet as the frame of reference as well.

Thanks
-L.
3 weeks later - any news on this?

As a potential customer this info would be of great value. One of the reasons I've held back is due to the 'mystery' about the settings and the capability of the Zulu.

I don't want my hand held and to only use 'presets', but starting points as to what the Zulu can emulate (Studer etc) and do (such as the limiting example posted recently) would be invaluable. I'd be far more likely to pull the trigger knowing this sort of thing, because as it stands, it's all a bit fuzzy.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I sent Langston a text last week and he said that the metal work was awaiting arrival, That all Zulus (DESKTOP) would ship within 2 weeks of receiving metal work. Which I see he posted would be arriving as of Weds of last week.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I'm starting to feel like a bit of an idiot for paying full price for a zulu R that was supposed to ship December 31st and haven't had an update in months about what is going on. Am I alone??
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by basic View Post
I'm starting to feel like a bit of an idiot for paying full price for a zulu R that was supposed to ship December 31st and haven't had an update in months about what is going on. Am I alone??
Don't be too hard on yourself. It looks like a great box. Great tech. Buying from boutique guys is often a punt, at least for me; I'm crossing my fingers when I hit the PayPal button.

I'm like you... Paid in full. Don't mind waiting and just want a realistic update.

I'm certain that once the box arrives it'll be like Xmas all over again and your frustration will be a distant memory. Fingers crossed! LOL
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The least of what could be checkmarked in the plethora of what could be construed/perceived to be an act of idiocy on my part.

In for the JuZu bundle. Patiently waiting...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, you guys are right. I'm just burnt out on meeting all my clients deadlines and noone being accountable to their own deadlines to me. I think the whole Stam fiasco soured me. Once I have the Zulu R in my hands I'm done with pre ordering stuff. Gonna stick to buying hardware and software that isn't vaporware.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
The least of what could be checkmarked in the plethora of what could be construed/perceived to be an act of idiocy on my part.

In for the JuZu bundle. Patiently waiting...
JuZu bundle coming here as well. I expected such a wait for such a great deal from a boutique company. I hope Langston takes his time and gets it all dialed in perfectly so I am happy to continue waiting patiently.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
As a first gen zulu pre orderer I can tell that we all waited long after the original due date, but in the end everyone got there zulu's. I'm sure langston is doing his best as he did in the past. Just have some Patience... although it's not a popular thing to have in 2019
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I also ordered the Zulu R, and I am confident that I will receive the Zulu R. But I like to get updates from time till time so I know what is the status of the ZULU R project.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Short question:
Is Zulu currently in stock?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by broco View Post
Short question:
Is Zulu currently in stock?
No, but apparently they are shipping imminently
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drxcm View Post
No, but apparently they are shipping imminently
Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Are there any JuJu sound examples?
Old 3 weeks ago
Langston, if you're around could you please give us an update on when paid-for Zulus are shipping?

I'm from New Zealand so dropping a text is not that easy.

Thanks
Amos

Last edited by sHOWpONY; 3 weeks ago at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Duh..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sHOWpONY View Post
Langston, if you're around could you please give us an update on when paid-for Zulus are shipping?

I'm from New Zealand so dropping a text is not that easy.

Thanks
Amos
Seriously?

+1 3154542255
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search