The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
How about a bundle offer for the juju and zulu rack purchase ?
I'd be all over this.
Old 23rd July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
I'd be all over this.
Likewise.
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear
Me 2
Old 24th July 2018
Lives for gear

Me 3
Old 28th July 2018
Lives for gear

Me design. Portal for Zulu and JuJu to merge as one.

Thanks
-L.
Old 28th July 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Me design. Portal for Zulu and JuJu to merge as one.

Thanks
-L.
Really!
How? Any visuals!
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Really!
How? Any visuals!
I could be wrong but I just took that as his way of saying he’d make a bundle price for purchasing both units together. I don’t think he’s actually combining them into a single physical unit.
Old 29th July 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
I could be wrong but I just took that as his way of saying he’d make a bundle price for purchasing both units together. I don’t think he’s actually combining them into a single physical unit.
Ah.

You’re probably right.
Hadn’t occur to me.
If so that’ll be awesome!
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think Zulu will survive the test of hot audio signal.

Please let us know what happens.
Thanks
-L.
Zulu handles modular synths perfectly (+/- 10 v), I did need to output both polarities into a balanced xlr plug (most synths output unbalanced which btw didn't work, so to get to balanced I took two 1/4 inch output plugs in both polarities so all it took was a plug that converted the two 1/4 inch to stereo then cord that is 1/4 stereo to xlr). I am pondering putting zulu in front of my normal record chain for synthesizers, for vocals I put zulu at the end, but synths kind of are a different deal so most of my settings for zulu I have changed for analog synths.
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
Zulu handles modular synths perfectly (+/- 10 v), I did need to output both polarities into a balanced xlr plug (most synths output unbalanced which btw didn't work, so to get to balanced I took two 1/4 inch output plugs in both polarities so all it took was a plug that converted the two 1/4 inch to stereo then cord that is 1/4 stereo to xlr).
Could you post a drawing or diagram of that?
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Could you post a drawing or diagram of that?
With the stereo 1/4 to xlr cable, I plug the 1/4 into that plug that is a mono to stereo (two mono's to one stereo) with the xlr going into zulu. (I attached picture)
Attached Thumbnails
New ZULU Thread-img_0007.jpg  
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Wonder how a zulu would sound thru my mellotron ?
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The difference between Zulu and JuJu is the following:

Zulu simulates tape machines and all their non linear quirks. It accomplishes this passively and incorporates itself into chains differently than any other piece of gear since it inherits the characteristics of surrounding equipment symbiotically.

Juju is a completely outside the box concept for me.
Treat every aspect of an audio source as a parallel processes. Dry, process 2, process 3 etc..all form the final output signal. I crammed a 3 band inductor based EQ, a passive James EQ/Bandaxall EQ, high gain amplifiers, intentional distortion circuitry, intentional compression circuitry and a transistor mixer, into a 1RU platform. It's meant to form the final bus you'd hit before tape so it yes it's totally meant to be the perfect compliment to Zulu.

Lacking phantom power, our input trafo is a nickel 20K:150, so yes Virginia, JuJu can totally function as a mic preamp, not for ribbons per session, but tube mics and Dynamics are welcome. I see overheads, mixes and masters in the future for JuJu. The proto we have is stupid analog sounding and the inductor EQ alone is monstrous, big yet tight bass, super spacious mids and surreal treble response, plus a spectrally triggered compression circuit. Then you also get a PAX EQ in parallel, that features it's own distortion control.

It's shocking how piling these processes together can make for massive positive changes in a mixes impact. The finishing effects and compression are just glorious when you witness them in action. Especially considering you're hearing frequency energy, saturation and compression mashup to create clarity and authority, rather than just a louder harsher signal which is what you get in digital most times.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks
-L.
What's the deal with you not booking a booth at winter Namm 2019? I think there's still a week or so left to book a table or booth.... which for you would be good in the new hall imo.... which for me would be good so that I can spend some time listening to these things with my own ears..... don't forget to bring lots of headphones.
Old 30th July 2018
Lives for gear
When's the Dudu gonna drop?
Old 31st July 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
?
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf View Post
After digestion

Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

yessss. now the thread has finally reached my level
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
?
Dudu. It's the ****.

I knew it was time for Dudu. It was either a **** or get off the pot moment.

When you turn the Peanuts N Corn pot don't forget to wiper.

Hilarious.

Thanks
-L.
Old 31st July 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dudu. It's the ****.

I knew it was time for Dudu. It was either a **** or get off the pot moment.

When you turn the Peanuts N Corn pot don't forget to wiper.

Hilarious.

Thanks
-L.
Any ETA on Zulu Rack and Juju?
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

Hey Langston.
I wrote you a mail about 4 weeks ago with the question if you have the zulus in stock. You wrote me back within 3 hours. I ordered and paid immediately. until today I have no shipping confirmation and you do not answer my mails, but as I said to the question if the zulus camp are you immediately replied. I feel a little fooled.
Old 1st August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peah View Post
Hey Langston.
I wrote you a mail about 4 weeks ago with the question if you have the zulus in stock. You wrote me back within 3 hours. I ordered and paid immediately. until today I have no shipping confirmation and you do not answer my mails, but as I said to the question if the zulus camp are you immediately replied. I feel a little fooled.
Peah,
I have consistently shipped out Zulus as soon as they are ordered. But I have not received these emails you're referring to. Let me investigate your packages status and I will contact you immediately with a remedy. I have had an issue like this in the past where the package was held up at the carrier due to a systems error and I had to ship a new package out to the same customer express while the carrier worked out their shipping error (slow process).

May you please inbox me your email address we would have on file?

Thanks
-L.
Old 1st August 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for your quick reply. have you sent my mail address by private message.
Thank you
Old 2nd August 2018
Here for the gear

hey langston,
Everything went well, I got the tracking number. Thank you. can not wait to try.
regards
Old 4th August 2018
Lives for gear

What sort of connections is the modular multi channel unit going to have on the back? XLR? Dsub?
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

You guys got me convinced...about to pull the trigger on this puppy. Looking to pair with my Pioneer SP16 sampler. And selling off a bunch of cheapy compressors that I don't use a whole lot...this could probably take their place in the Mojo/character department. Id use it for 90% drums...maybe individual samples but mostly bus style. Not an audio engineer by any means but seems like I could find a good set and forget setting hehe...more so than with compression that I overdue the vast majority of the time.

Maybe even use it in my live set on the master...
Old 10th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctothej123 View Post
You guys got me convinced...about to pull the trigger on this puppy. Looking to pair with my Pioneer SP16 sampler. And selling off a bunch of cheapy compressors that I don't use a whole lot...this could probably take their place in the Mojo/character department. Id use it for 90% drums...maybe individual samples but mostly bus style. Not an audio engineer by any means but seems like I could find a good set and forget setting hehe...more so than with compression that I overdue the vast majority of the time.

Maybe even use it in my live set on the master...
You will probably like it a lot on drums -- I certainly do. Although I get the "set and forget" mentality, I think you will find that it is easy and intuitive to tweak, and tweaking results in dramatic changes. I have favorite settings but I do tweak occasionally to taste.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

you wont regret it

I have a pair of zulus and I can't imagine tracking anything without them or mixing down to 2 bus without them.

It is without a doubt one of my desert island pieces. Its an incredible value for the money.
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Question for Zulu users: as it’s a passive device, do you find the insertion loss varies significantly with different settings, and if so does this make comparing the effects of those different settings difficult or are the tonal changes between different calibrations, decks, and headroom settings significant enough that the change in level doesn’t have a major impact in your decision-making process?
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Question for Zulu users: as it’s a passive device, do you find the insertion loss varies significantly with different settings, and if so does this make comparing the effects of those different settings difficult or are the tonal changes between different calibrations, decks, and headroom settings significant enough that the change in level doesn’t have a major impact in your decision-making process?
Loss can be addressed via gain staging into Zulu as well. So for high loss settings such as TK mode, I typically go in hotter.

Progressively, you can smash the input less with lower loss calibrations like MX through HX.

In all fairness, I'm going into each situation looking at it like high vs low gain at input. If I want lofi/brofi then I'm feeding Zulu hotter and working from that variable. I use a pretty sweet hardware insert plugin to audition changes so level matching isn't a challenge for me but it's possible with PT as well if you're using your routing creatively.

It's truly a mindset for me as well. I'm not reaching for lofi settings if I want hifi results. I'm only auditioning within those parameters, not sporadically jumping back and forth.

TK mode most compressed and potential for distortion.
MX mode compressed but less crunchy.
EX mode midrange forward, clearer, sponge.
HX mode, open, punchy even on lofi deck settings, especially with pro and high headroom. Needs less gain than other formulas to obtain unity transfer.
Here's a link to the manual, from the company website.

Dropbox - Handsome Audio Zulu Manual.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thanks
-L.
Old 11th August 2018
Quote:
Loss can be addressed via gain staging into Zulu as well. So for high loss settings such as TK mode, I typically go in hotter.

Progressively, you can smash the input less with lower loss calibrations like MX through HX.

In all fairness, I'm going into each situation looking at it like high vs low gain at input. If I want lofi/brofi then I'm feeding Zulu hotter and working from that variable. I use a pretty sweet hardware insert plugin to audition changes so level matching isn't a challenge for me but it's possible with PT as well if you're using your routing creatively.

It's truly a mindset for me as well. I'm not reaching for lofi settings if I want hifi results. I'm only auditioning within those parameters, not sporadically jumping back and forth.

TK mode most compressed and potential for distortion.
MX mode compressed but less crunchy.
EX mode midrange forward, clearer, sponge.
HX mode, open, punchy even on lofi deck settings, especially with pro and high headroom. Needs less gain than other formulas to obtain unity transfer.
Here's a link to the manual, from the company website.

Dropbox - Handsome Audio Zulu Manual.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thanks
-L.
Do you use LPX?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search