Originally Posted by veggieryan View Post
Let us hear a short sample please...
Before and After would be great.
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieryan View Post
Let us hear a short sample please...
Give me a day or two to get the artist permission if he ok’s it I’ll post. Should not be a problem
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

It is always great to share Zulu settings, which settings did you settle on within your holy grail chain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmade View Post
Just finally after all kinds of routings found my dream chain with Zulu and all outboard gear
DAW-api eq - smart c1 - capi vc528pr- Zulu- LaChapell 992eg
Holy mother of tape ! The sound I’ve been searching for driving the 528‘s into the Zulu pretty hard then out of Zulu in DI of LaChapell my search for the holy grail is OVER THANK YOU LANGSTON
Old 10th October 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
It is always great to share Zulu settings, which settings did you settle on within your holy grail chain?
Zulu settings were TK mode - Deck Pro- Bias 5 clicks 12:0clock- Enhance either 0 to 1 click song dependent - headroom High
I’ve just found this chain today on a new recording I’m working on, but for these sessions it’s killing it.
Just FYI this is a live recording ,but can’t imagine that makes a difference in what Zulu and the LaChapell is doing

Last edited by kmade; 10th October 2017 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Added
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Zulu settings were TK mode - Deck Pro- Bias 5 clicks 12:0clock- Enhance either 0 to 1 click song dependent - headroom High
I’ve just found this chain today on a new recording I’m working on, but for these sessions it’s killing it.
Just FYI this is a live recording ,but can’t imagine that makes a difference in what Zulu and the LaChapell is doing
K, what you've got going on is what it's all about!

You have a really compressed tape formulation and juiced electronics setting via Calibration set to TK. Then you are using the Japanese multitrack, softened the saturation and compression via Bias (which increases headroom before sat and compression but differently), add in some lovely harmonic energy via Enhance (just a taste) and then have the headroom boosted max. Add in the DI patch into Tube mic pres and you have this super analog front end chain, plus a tube repro amp section via the tube preamp. It's the cheat code of tape sims, to modify the electronics and systemic behaviors simply by changing the patch.

Love it! And you're welcome

Thanks
-L.
Old 10th October 2017
Interesting !
For my part, I'm making my own little experiments with my Zulu. Currently working on a modern epic space-like track I'm producing, and I use Zulu as an insert, fed by my RNLA compressor, to print stems out of the DAW.

Still learning, but I'm always pretty close to these settings (TK-Pro deck-bias12-enh0/1-headPro).

After some prints, it starts to sound more "cohesive" and easier to listen to, but in a very special way. I'm hurry to see the final overall results combined with the 2-bus setting. I'll share that if I'm happy with !

Cheers !

Last edited by Felon; 11th October 2017 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Orthograph
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Looking forward to trying it out. (Just bought one.)
Old 12th October 2017
Latest with Zulu

My latest tune, zulu is used on the lead guitar,tremelo guitar and chorus backing vocals and 2 buss...

I play and sing everything.

cheers

Wiz
Old 12th October 2017
Quote:
Exactly the settings I use. Seems to produce the most "tapey" sounds to my ears.
Old 12th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Just finally after all kinds of routings found my dream chain with Zulu and all outboard gear
DAW-api eq - smart c1 - capi vc528pr- Zulu- LaChapell 992eg
Holy mother of tape ! The sound I’ve been searching for driving the 528‘s into the Zulu pretty hard then out of Zulu in DI of LaChapell my search for the holy grail is OVER THANK YOU LANGSTON
It is SOOOO good to hear when people discover the sound of the 992's DI. Lots of time went into that design... Congrats on finding your elusive tone!!
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Exactly the settings I use. Seems to produce the most "tapey" sounds to my ears.
The Pro Deck is pretty special to my ears when you really need to "hear," the deck do its thing, compression and saturation wise.

The Calibration switch was the last modifier added to the Zulu platform. Originally I wanted to make Zulu focus on tape formulas (in my original sketches I had a control labeled "formula,") and how the machines would be calibrated to the SOL and MOL of those tape types but it was tabled and the other 4 controls on the face of the unit, plus the resultant ergonomics you see and experience now were the focus.

But like every other part of the creative process, Calibration popped its head back up at the 11th hour and I realized I could have my formulas/calibrations for formulas back!

Calibration is an extremely complicated circuit to describe, mainly because a better name for it is Transmogrify. Each position creates very complex harmonic changes, the sensitivity of each control shifts and how you use Zulu, experience and enjoy Zulu modulates whenever this switch is moved into different positions. Each change is significant, but relies on how you stack the Deck.

It truly is a personal, aesthetic choice to pick a calibration since it's entirely based on what you feel emotionally is the best bet. Its very cool to see people have a firm belief that each position is optimal for their respective workflow, there are just as many people using HX, MX or EX on their mixes and especially their opinions on calibration during the tracking process.

Truthfully there is no "wrong," setting for Calibration, its entirely up to you the end user

Thanks
-L.
Old 12th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott LaChapell View Post
It is SOOOO good to hear when people discover the sound of the 992's DI. Lots of time went into that design... Congrats on finding your elusive tone!!
Thank you for making such an awesome DI! And everything else that you do. Big time admirer of your product line and design aesthetic.

Thanks
-L.
Old 13th October 2017
Another reason to get a LC pre... LaChapell 583 still one of the all-round finest mic pres to my ears... seems all ribbon mics love it... fave tube here so far Telefunken ECC83 but recently found an old Tungsram that might challenge it. JJ ECC803S highly not-recommended. ECC82 can be nice as well for softer rounder tones. And this pre is solid.. never any issues and i bought mine 2nd hand years ago. Bravo Mr. LaChapell.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

First of all, congrats on the successful product launch! I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on a Zulu yet but I'm quite intrigued by the clips I've heard and there will probably be (at least) one in my future.

A few questions/thoughts: first, is the 1u version going to be the tracking version or the full mixing/mastering version? Any idea on price?

And for the 4u modules, you mentioned that the tracking version would lose the bypass switch positions and a couple settings on either end of the bias and enhance switches. Just putting my two cents in but I would argue for keeping the bypass and the most subtle switch positions for each control on the tracking version, just on the general principle of being able to track with subtle settings and then get more heavy handed if necessary during the mix. Since you're using rotary switches perhaps you might consider keeping the bypass and the first 2-3 subtle switch positions for light processing, and then beyond there spread out the range between steps to account for the fewer switch positions. That way you could still use the tracking units for either subtle processing or heavy smashing (for parallel use on drums, etc.); you'd simply lose some of the granularity in the most extreme end of the range, which I think most people would rather sacrifice than fine control at the subtle end.

And finally, while I'm sure it's all still early days and you probably don't want to share too much for fear of getting locked into something that you might want to change later, could you possibly give an idea of what else you have planned for the 4u rack?

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Oh, and will the 1u version use a single set of controls or is it like the desktop version with a different control set for each channel? Thanks!
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
First of all, congrats on the successful product launch! I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on a Zulu yet but I'm quite intrigued by the clips I've heard and there will probably be (at least) one in my future.

A few questions/thoughts: first, is the 1u version going to be the tracking version or the full mixing/mastering version? Any idea on price?

And for the 4u modules, you mentioned that the tracking version would lose the bypass switch positions and a couple settings on either end of the bias and enhance switches. Just putting my two cents in but I would argue for keeping the bypass and the most subtle switch positions for each control on the tracking version, just on the general principle of being able to track with subtle settings and then get more heavy handed if necessary during the mix. Since you're using rotary switches perhaps you might consider keeping the bypass and the first 2-3 subtle switch positions for light processing, and then beyond there spread out the range between steps to account for the fewer switch positions. That way you could still use the tracking units for either subtle processing or heavy smashing (for parallel use on drums, etc.); you'd simply lose some of the granularity in the most extreme end of the range, which I think most people would rather sacrifice than fine control at the subtle end.

And finally, while I'm sure it's all still early days and you probably don't want to share too much for fear of getting locked into something that you might want to change later, could you possibly give an idea of what else you have planned for the 4u rack?

Thanks!
The bypass controls are very subtle tone shaping positions that speak more to mix and mastering decisions than what you'd call a true effects bypass. Skipping them was more about offering tone options that make sense during a tracking and production session.

As far as the subtle positions versus extreme, that's exactly what we were aiming for but not necessarily in tune with your thinking as far as go light at first and heavy later. It was moreso to make a smaller 7 or 8 position switch work into the scheme. Deck would still feature the 3 core Deck types, Bias and Enhance use an odd number of positions so we were going to use 7 position switches there. At each end of the scale you'd would lose 2 spots at subtle versus maximal. We are hand selecting those stops/values by consensus from our large endorsed artist base who have tracked numerous sources in high end environments with Zulu to see where their faves are. That seems most ideal to use expert opinion and empirical data to gauge the optimal values for those controls. We wouldn't throw out the baby with the bath water.

As far as what else are we thinking for the modular system? Channel strips, other harmonic devices and tone modulators, skies the limit!. All very affordable and all very analog tone focused.

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. Anything you can tell us about the 1u version or is that still up in the air?
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Sounds good! Thanks for the info. Anything you can tell us about the 1u version or is that still up in the air?
As of last revision,
we will feature full sized and articulated controls, same as the desktop unit.

I have also added dual inserts per channel. The sonic possibilities to insert preamps, eqs, reverbs, delays etc...at various points in the signal path offers numerous advantages to sculpting sounds and textures during mixing, tracking or composition.

I am working on two "system," controls that will be featured internally, but set to a default (via jumpers) at the factory. These controls are yet to be named, but they are designed to impact depth and tone. An end user can open their box, set these controls to desired operating points/values and close it back. They are pretty cool controls but we ran out of room on the face plate!

Same amazing transformers, high quality passive components, rotary stepped controls that use 1% resistors on the ladders and same great core sounds!
Until we finalize this platform I can't offer a solid release date at this point but we have it slated for 2018. The modular system is being developed in parallel and is similarly targeted for a 2018 release.

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
The bypass controls are very subtle tone shaping positions that speak more to mix and mastering decisions than what you'd call a true effects bypass.
In my universe, "bypass" means "not in the circuit." Just speaking for myself.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In my universe, "bypass" means "not in the circuit." Just speaking for myself.
The bypass controls remove the phenomenon of the controls from the circuit, when in bypass they are "not in."

In use, this would mean you would hear a difference between "on," and bypassed. It just happens that the way I designed the scales and positions for Deck and Bias, the step before Bypass on both controls is either the most HiFi or Brightest setting for each control and after that when those controls are in bypass the results of the control are completely removed from the circuit and you are hearing what is essentially a brighter consecutive step, but really the control/circuit is off.

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th October 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
As of last revision,
we will feature full sized and articulated controls, same as the desktop unit.

I have also added dual inserts per channel. The sonic possibilities to insert preamps, eqs, reverbs, delays etc...at various points in the signal path offers numerous advantages to sculpting sounds and textures during mixing, tracking or composition.

I am working on two "system," controls that will be featured internally, but set to a default (via jumpers) at the factory. These controls are yet to be named, but they are designed to impact depth and tone. An end user can open their box, set these controls to desired operating points/values and close it back. They are pretty cool controls but we ran out of room on the face plate!

Same amazing transformers, high quality passive components, rotary stepped controls that use 1% resistors on the ladders and same great core sounds!
Until we finalize this platform I can't offer a solid release date at this point but we have it slated for 2018. The modular system is being developed in parallel and is similarly targeted for a 2018 release.

Thanks
-L.
In terms of patch bay planning, can you discuss type of connectors for the 1U unit, as well as how many, including the inserts?
I would also like to know for the 4U unit? Don't want to assume too much.
So far I'm thinking I would want both units.
Thanks.
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, the 1u will have inserts (which is hella' cool)...but what about the 4u module?
Old 27th October 2017
Just discovered ZULU does a great job of smoothing out cheap Chinese LDCs. Makes a cheapo MXL V63m actually sound like a decent mic by removing the high freq. ear piercing high end spike and improving the bass. Just keep the enhance all the way down, and the bias at around 12 o clock.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Just discovered ZULU does a great job of smoothing out cheap Chinese LDCs. Makes a cheapo MXL V63m actually sound like a decent mic by removing the high freq. ear piercing high end spike and improving the bass. Just keep the enhance all the way down, and the bias at around 12 o clock.
Before/after clips? Thanks!
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
We actually have a shootout where we did a mult from the preamp, so direct dry and with Zulu on a Chinese condenser. The results were pretty significant. Especially considering how much less you have to fight with sibilance and and de harshing everything, especially at 2K.

Thanks
-L.
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
We actually have a shootout...
I know. I'd like to hear Rob's.
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
So, the 1u will have inserts (which is hella' cool)...but what about the 4u module?
So, as far as I can gather, the crickets implies only the 1u will have inserts.

...good to know.

So, in any case, an exact rundown of the differences/what's the same, would be useful, for inquiring minds, you know, for those thinking ahead.
Old 28th October 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:

...good to know.

So, in any case, an exact rundown of the differences/what's the same, would be useful, for inquiring minds, you know, for those thinking ahead.
+1
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

...good to know.

The crickets imply I've been running out of helper elves, they keep getting stuck in the epoxy vat! Once you're in, you stay in!

The 4U system will have 2 different module types. The double wide mix buss/master version has plenty of faceplate space for added "features." The tracking version is simplified and more space conservative. So it can only physically feature the typical features from desktop Zulu on the face while also offering calibration on the front, but with no space remaining for inserts. Double wide to the rescue.

The differences in price will reflect this as well.

Thanks
-L.
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The double wide mix buss/master version has plenty of faceplate space for added "features."
DW eh?

...gonna be a good boy, and refrain from Sir Mix a Lot quips.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search