The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 13th March 2017
Hey there @ illacov ,

could you tell us when the bills for Europe are expected to be issued?

We are having a hard time keeping our panties on!

Peaches
Andy
Old 13th March 2017
Ok, so there will be an 'all out' mastering version and I could simply plug that into my masterbus insert ?

I'd like to see that
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumhead1957 View Post
This has probably been covered before, here, or in the other thread, so please bear with me. Q.) How hot a signal can Zulu handle? Is there ever any danger of overloading the box? I wouldn't think so, but thought I would ask. Is it the hotter, the better?

It's a cute little thing, and I wouldn't want to hurt it.
I've run +15db into it before.

FYI Phantom power is not its friend. I'm making a new page for the manual that covers this and other strange practices one may engage in when using a passive tape simulator.

Thanks
-L.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear
Thanks -L

BTW, I did also notice a slight decrease in dB by a click, or two. Nothing that can't be quickly compensated for. Welcomed, in fact. Like natural compression.
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks -L

BTW, I did also notice a slight decrease in dB by a click, or two. Nothing that can't be quickly compensated for. Welcomed, in fact. Like natural compression.
The amount of passive loss is truly dependent on the hookup you use Zulu with. The most loss is incurred during a DA/Zulu/AD hookup. Since neither the DA or AD offers any real analog gain (you can use digital gain to the DA but it's different than inline gain stage) you typically make up gain in post on your hardware insert plugin or with a digital gain plugin.

When using Zulu with a mic pre/line level device with gain feeding it or following it, this offers a very different set of rules.

Since you can go beyond 0 into Zulu, you experience less loss in application. The loss of 6-10db is there but since you can drive the front end harder in exchange for saturation and more tape compression the perceived loss is decreased. Roughly put if you shot 15 beans into Zulu and it took away 10 beans, you'd have a gain factor of 5. If your original signal level before the gain stage was 5 or 6 beans then your experience will be a little to no loss penalty.

By the same example but with the mic pre following Zulu, you can hit Zulu lighter for less saturation and gentle to little compression and more hysterisis energy (still very tapey though!) and you can actually get a signal back that's hotter than the original if you're not careful. It sounds different as well.

Lastly,
Hooking up a DI after Zulu with an XLR balanced to TS (instrument) cable into the DI input and then using your mic preamp of choice is very different as well. Your headroom increases but so does the depth of your stereo field and the bass becomes less compressed but intensifies especially in the low mid and low lows.

Try all of these hookups out!
The DI with Mackie Pres won over a very highly respected record producer. Dead serious. Sounded insane too!

Thanks
-L.
Old 14th March 2017
Just got my Zulu finally (took it's time coming up to central Canada) and starting put it through it paces - come up with a few things I like already, but this piece is DEEP - gonna take awhile to come to grip with all of the options and shaping combinations.

Running it after my Silver Bullet, Electra, FCS P3EX chain for now
Attached Thumbnails
New ZULU Thread-fullsizerender.jpg  
Old 14th March 2017
Lives for gear

I've had mine for a while now and it's great.... Sorry didn't get to this post sooner....
Langston hasn't hesitated to talked shop on the phone and out out a great manual for it....
Currently its sitting on my master bus and sounding magical....
Better sounding then my Kramer master tape that's for sure and doesn't chew up any cpu
Old 15th March 2017
Gear Head
Audio examples please guys!!!
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Zulu handles stereo signal just fine. It's dual mono. Rack version will be a 4U modular system, with a proprietary chassis, where you can add up to 16 channels. Or just get 2 channels.

Stereo mixing/mastering module with the rack system will clock in at $1000.
Thanks
-L.
The Stereo mixing rackmount is what im waiting for. Will there be an intro price for the 2 channel like you did with Zulu or......?

Thanks
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Recall Sheet

https://www.dropbox.com/s/taoq8yel1r...02017.pdf?dl=0

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bone View Post
The Stereo mixing rackmount is what im waiting for. Will there be an intro price for the 2 channel like you did with Zulu or......?

Thanks
after playing with mine, I'm thinking about inserting it between the two stages of this capi aca summing amp. and rack mounting it:
Attached Thumbnails
New ZULU Thread-rev-b-stuffed.jpg  
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
The amount of passive loss is truly dependent on the hookup you use Zulu with. The most loss is incurred during a DA/Zulu/AD hookup. Since neither the DA or AD offers any real analog gain (you can use digital gain to the DA but it's different than inline gain stage) you typically make up gain in post on your hardware insert plugin or with a digital gain plugin.

When using Zulu with a mic pre/line level device with gain feeding it or following it, this offers a very different set of rules.

Since you can go beyond 0 into Zulu, you experience less loss in application. The loss of 6-10db is there but since you can drive the front end harder in exchange for saturation and more tape compression the perceived loss is decreased. Roughly put if you shot 15 beans into Zulu and it took away 10 beans, you'd have a gain factor of 5. If your original signal level before the gain stage was 5 or 6 beans then your experience will be a little to no loss penalty.

By the same example but with the mic pre following Zulu, you can hit Zulu lighter for less saturation and gentle to little compression and more hysterisis energy (still very tapey though!) and you can actually get a signal back that's hotter than the original if you're not careful. It sounds different as well.

Lastly,
Hooking up a DI after Zulu with an XLR balanced to TS (instrument) cable into the DI input and then using your mic preamp of choice is very different as well. Your headroom increases but so does the depth of your stereo field and the bass becomes less compressed but intensifies especially in the low mid and low lows.

Try all of these hookups out!
The DI with Mackie Pres won over a very highly respected record producer. Dead serious. Sounded insane too!

Thanks
-L.
Just out of curiosity, before I get my eager hands on my Zulu, what kind of DI would you recommend before the mic press. Active or passive? Any particular model?
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks!

Anyway to deliver other than dropbox, which requires an account?

As a happy and grateful Zulu owner, nice to be able to obtain the manual and recall sheet without mandatory participation in (anti-)social media fantasies...

Your handsomeaudio site perhaps?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

^ No account required, just click the download button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut
Maybe missed it earlier in the thread - what's the size of the Zulu?
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Maniac

I have the Anamod, anybody compared it to that?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsguitar View Post
Maybe missed it earlier in the thread - what's the size of the Zulu?
From the other thread: "Case is 9" long (from rear XLR connectors to you by 6" wide (from left to right) by 4" tall (at the highest part of the case, front of the case is 2" tall)."

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12381068-post230.html
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyocity View Post
I have the Anamod, anybody compared it to that?
Old Speckled Hen wrote:

"I'm also impressed with the ZULU. I'm still very much in the getting acquainted phase but I'm really encouraged by what i've heard.

I own (or have owned) various harmonics/saturation boxes ( Silver Bullet, HG2, Anamod w/all cards, Overstayer MAS ) and this little $400 box brings something new to the table. What i'm particularly happy with is its ability to saturate smoooothly. This, to me, has been an elusive quality. Again, very early impressions...but thus far it appears this box can do the "rounding" thing really well...but can ALSO bring out upper harmonics/detail. Very cool.

This thing is a real bargain at $400. And i confess the low price only added to my initial skepticism...chalk it up to confirmation bias. I ordered it almost on a whim it's so cheap. As others have noted, there are plugins for roughly the same price.

Love that it's passive and is super easy to recall. I'm a fan."

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

Thanks
Do you have an answer to this Illacov?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have an answer to this Illacov?
For the stereo mixing/version or the tracking version?

The whole rackmount system will be modular. There will be the tracking version with a fewer steps per rotaries for the Bias and Enhance control and the mixing/mastering version that will feature fully articulated controls and full size knobs.

The tracking version is a smaller platform (2 channels per 2" wide module) and the mixing mastering version will be larger (2 channels but 4" wide, taking up two spaces out of 8 vs 1 space).

The tracking module will be $400 full retail and the mixing mastering version will be $650 full retail. The proprietary chassis will be $350 and capable of hosting up to 16 channels of Zulu.

The promotional pricing for the tracking and mixing version is yet to be officially announced but there will be a sweet deal for either, but in some limited supply. There will also be a limited quantity of fully loaded 16 channel packages for an equally sweet deal.

We are thinking that the tracking modules will be available on pre order for $250 a piece (maximum of 2 per customer) and the chassis will still be $350. That's 4 channels for $850. The mixing/mastering module will be sold at $500 in limited supply (maximum 2 per customer) and the chassis will be still be $350.

There will be a small number of fully loaded 16 channel units for $2750.

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Will there be anything different about the mixing/mastering one compared to the stand alone 2 channel that just hit the streets? Metering?

Thank you,
Sean
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfurry View Post
Will there be anything different about the mixing/mastering one compared to the stand alone 2 channel that just hit the streets? Metering?

Thank you,
Sean
Unit will still be full passive, no metering.
Rack mounted seems to be a thing folks are hot for. And it will be virtually identical to the desktop version but will have an Easter egg or two.
Super low noise floor as always and same amazing sounds! Custom Altran transformers, sweet tape machine modeling technology, flexible stepped controls and Neutrik XLR.

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Do ya thing L, glad to see you still at it
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
For the stereo mixing/version or the tracking version?

The whole rackmount system will be modular. There will be the tracking version with a fewer steps per rotaries for the Bias and Enhance control and the mixing/mastering version that will feature fully articulated controls and full size knobs.

The tracking version is a smaller platform (2 channels per 2" wide module) and the mixing mastering version will be larger (2 channels but 4" wide, taking up two spaces out of 8 vs 1 space).

The tracking module will be $400 full retail and the mixing mastering version will be $650 full retail. The proprietary chassis will be $350 and capable of hosting up to 16 channels of Zulu.

The promotional pricing for the tracking and mixing version is yet to be officially announced but there will be a sweet deal for either, but in some limited supply. There will also be a limited quantity of fully loaded 16 channel packages for an equally sweet deal.

We are thinking that the tracking modules will be available on pre order for $250 a piece (maximum of 2 per customer) and the chassis will still be $350. That's 4 channels for $850. The mixing/mastering module will be sold at $500 in limited supply (maximum 2 per customer) and the chassis will be still be $350.

There will be a small number of fully loaded 16 channel units for $2750.

Thanks
-L.
Thanks, mixing for me. Do you have any idea when they will be available?
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, mixing for me. Do you have any idea when they will be available?
God willing we will be out of prototype by this fall and displaying it. Once we have it on display we will be taking pre-orders.

If you have a Zulu, please take some time to try all the different hookups with it, DAC>Zulu>ADC, DAC>Mic Pre>Zulu>ADC, DAC>Zulu>Mic Pre, DAC>Zulu>DI>Mic Pre>ADC. As well a line amp into Zulu will work great as well.
As well if you have a Zulu, tracking through it will change ALOT for you, analog signal levels allowed to breath into Zulu without as much concern for clipping your converters during tracking, plus its like cutting to tape without the head gap delay

Thanks
-L.
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Dereck Blackburn of Quiethouse Recording, posted some awesome clips demonstrating Zulu with before and after examples, plus his settings via recall sheet for Zulu.
He wrote on Facebook today:
"Zulu People - I am going to be putting together some before and after files today. Here is a song I made a few months ago with and without Zulu, gain matched wavs. More to come."

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...HluWGZFWkRkeHM

I've attached the recall sheet along with an image of the wav before Zulu and after Zulu. The transient difference is massive.

Thanks
-L.
Attached Thumbnails
New ZULU Thread-17342607_10103576622456721_2700885624755290245_n.jpg   New ZULU Thread-zulu-recall-test.jpg  
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Zulu in Super Hifi Mode:
Try putting a pair of direct boxes on the line outputs of Zulu in HX or EX mode using balanced XLR to TS/instrument (unbalanced) adapters then patch the outputs of the direct boxes into a pair of mic pres. This patch produces euphoric results. Check it out and share your experiences here.

This is my partner Tod Levine's favorite way to patch Zulu, especially during mastering jobs. As long as you have a transformer couple DI, we prefer passive, so far even the cheap transformer coupled ones perform quite well, you experience a forward shift in headroom, clarity and 3D imaging of the audio. The bass in this mode must be tried to heard!

An image of the hookup is attached.

Thanks
-L.
Attached Thumbnails
New ZULU Thread-17310615_1470857749613916_1948119304_o.jpg  
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear
Do you think a Radial ProD2 would work just fine as well? I'm thinking yes, but thought I would ask.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you think a Radial ProD2 would work just fine as well? I'm thinking yes, but thought I would ask.
Of course!

Better quality, won't eliminate the physics of what's happening in this patch, its just not a REQUIREMENT to use a high quality DI. By all means I'm curious to hear your results

Thanks
-L.
Old 17th March 2017
Lives for gear
Cool! Just something I had laying around
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search