The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I spent a week with a Zulu several months back. I found that, depending on the settings and the level going in, insertion loss ranged from a little to a lot. Because of that and the lack of metering, people tend to push a lot of level into it, which is why having a bypass switch would be a bad thing. You'd blow your tweeters. I also suspect that when people are hitting the Zulu really hard, it only deserves half the credit for the changes in tone. It dulls (or "warms") the signal, but the saturation may mainly come from the gear in front of it that's being overdriven to achieve the elevated level.
Brent I have enjoyed your comments throughout this thread.

I also found the lack of meter and drop in volume sooo annoying. I have the Berich Density and when I am over the other side of my studio playing piano and recording regularly through the Density I can see the meters moving and... there is no drop in level either....
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Brent I have enjoyed your comments throughout this thread.

I also found the lack of meter and drop in volume sooo annoying. I have the Berich Density and when I am over the other side of my studio playing piano and recording regularly through the Density I can see the meters moving and... there is no drop in level either....
The Density looks like a great piece of gear.

But apart the cumbersome workflow of the Zulu. How would you describe both units? How different they are in normal usage?
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I wouldn't dream of using the Zulu on a stereo mix buss. The degeneration is far too great. To me it's just a cool character box for drums.
It took me a while to realize that as well. Even when I thought it was the cat's pajamas, I would never run a full mix through it. After listening more critically to some tracks recorded with ZULU a year or so ago, I realize now the high end was ruined. They were recorded with the bias knob at 12 O clock. Maybe my ears are changing or something but I'm not even loving the sound of tape on everything anymore and only use tape on a track here or there (bouncing the track to tape and back). I guess it's taken me years to learn how to make digital sound good.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
As far as hype GS doesn’t hype people do and Zulu is fine. Where people got/get in trouble is pre ordering. That’s a crapshoot and anyone trying to save money off brand takes chances.

Nothing wrong with people loving something and being enthusiastic about it.....! There are also lots of products that are great even though the people behind them spin out.....
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
It took me a while to realize that as well. Even when I thought it was the cat's pajamas, I would never run a full mix through it. After listening more critically to some tracks recorded with ZULU a year or so ago, I realize now the high end was ruined. They were recorded with the bias knob at 12 O clock. Maybe my ears are changing or something but I'm not even loving the sound of tape on everything anymore and only use tape on a track here or there (bouncing the track to tape and back). I guess it's taken me years to learn how to make digital sound good.
Isn't Bias at 12 o'clock taking out a bit of the high end?
Old 3 days ago
The bias knob is really counter-intuitive. The most transparent setting is all the way clockwise.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
The bias knob is really counter-intuitive.
It certainly is if you’ve ever adjusted bias on an actual tape machine. Which makes me wonder if the designer ever has.

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 2 days ago at 09:38 PM..
Old 3 days ago
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So no one has had success with using the Zulu to profess a full mix? I felt like I’ve read plenty of guys saying good things about processing a full mix through Zulu. Has everyone now found it to be not such a good idea?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
So no one has had success with using the Zulu to profess a full mix? I felt like I’ve read plenty of guys saying good things about processing a full mix through Zulu. Has everyone now found it to be not such a good idea?
Some people seems to like it, like FTRSHK on the last page, that have even compared with other tape emulation gear.

Other users have said here that are using it on the 2-Bus, or as a limiter/soft clipper not many days ago.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have used Zulu to process entire mixes with great success. It's next to impossible to A - B to quickly determine exactly what is is doing...but more often then not I am pleased with the way my mix sounds when Zulu is in the chain. Whenever I am not completely satisfied with my mix Zulu has yet to be the problem. I too use it last in my mixbuss chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Questions from New Zulu User

Just dropping in here with a couple quick questions, as a guy who just hooked up a Zulu for the first time.

1) If I have, say, a drum bus running out to the Zulu and back into my DAW, is it a bad idea to raise the send signal until the drum bus channel is clipping? I've heard the Zulu needs a hot signal, and while normally I wouldn't clip a channel in the digital world, is it perhaps not the same thing in this case because the signal is going direct to the Zulu, where a loud signal is needed?

Another way I could ask this is, how are you getting a loud enough signal to your Zulu (short of using additional outboard gear pre-Zulu)?

2) Is there a good reason why it would not be advisable to run a finished master into the zulu, back into the DAW, and then just use a transparent limiter to get the master back up to the target volume level?
I'm in the middle of mixing/mastering a band's album and would like to knock down the transients/add some saturation using the zulu, but I've already mastered half of the songs.

Thanks
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Based on my limited time with one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom View Post
1) If I have, say, a drum bus running out to the Zulu and back into my DAW, is it a bad idea to raise the send signal until the drum bus channel is clipping?
Yes, it's a bad idea.

Quote:
Another way I could ask this is, how are you getting a loud enough signal to your Zulu (short of using additional outboard gear pre-Zulu)?
I couldn't, without using analog outboard gear.

Quote:
2) Is there a good reason why it would not be advisable to run a finished master into the zulu, back into the DAW, and then just use a transparent limiter to get the master back up to the target volume level?
A good tech-based reason? No. You could also Normalize and skip the limiter.
📝 Reply