The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New ZULU Thread
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i have two zulus. one im thinking of selling but im too lazy to make a post in classifieds. if someone wants to PM me we can work something out
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Thanks to @ illsoulprod my Zulu has found two happy places in the HW chain; mixing into it with Enhance at 3pm, and being the final mastering limiter and clipper. Just those two use cases alone make it worth it, regardless of what it's marketed as or what else it is capable of.

Very happy with it.

I still want a density, but for other uses :¬)
Thanks Mr Bose for sharing your experience. Enhance at 3pm. What about the other settings you choose?
Best
Sergio
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Thanks Mr Bose for sharing your experience. Enhance at 3pm. What about the other settings you choose?
Best
Sergio
Deck: Hi
BIAS: 12pm
Headroom: Hi
Calibration: HX

They never change. Enhance is at 3pm for mixing, and 12pm for limiting/clipping.
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Deck: Hi
BIAS: 12pm
Headroom: Hi
Calibration: HX

They never change. Enhance is at 3pm for mixing, and 12pm for limiting/clipping.
So all other settings are same for mixing into and limiting/clipping except for Enhance?
Quote:
Thanks to @ illsoulprod my Zulu has found two happy places in the HW chain; mixing into it with Enhance at 3pm, and being the final mastering limiter and clipper. Just those two use cases alone make it worth it, regardless of what it's marketed as or what else it is capable of.

Very happy with it.

I still want a density, but for other uses :¬)
Exactly and thank you for the compliment. And it does help that the built in limiter is really good sounding lol that enhance knob is definitely a mix fixer upper and helps push a record like we all love to hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
So all other settings are same for mixing into and limiting/clipping except for Enhance?
Yup. Unless you’re going for a sound with a style to it so I might use the second tape machine instead of the last one if I was doing a John Mayer kind of sound or the third machine if I were going for a more John legend style while the last machine is beautiful for modern pop
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsoulprod View Post
Exactly and thank you for the compliment. And it does help that the built in limiter is really good sounding lol that enhance knob is definitely a mix fixer upper and helps push a record like we all love to hear.
Wow, different strokes as they say. I wasn't entitled to an opinion before a kind GS'er sent me his Zulu for a week. I probably worked with it for at least 20 hours. And I did find things to like about the unit, but boy was that Enhance knob not one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Wow, different strokes as they say. I wasn't entitled to an opinion before a kind GS'er sent me his Zulu for a week. I probably worked with it for at least 20 hours. And I did find things to like about the unit, but boy was that Enhance knob not one of them.
I mix into mine so that it influences the record as a whole so yes, approach matters in this instance lol
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Same here. I hated what that Enhance knob did. I would also challenge the idea that there is a built in limiter in ZULU. There's no built in limiter that I'm aware of. I never thought it was doing any real compression and certainly not limiting. I've gone back to processing digital tracks thru my last remaining 2 track reel to reel and I couldn't be happier. Only do this for some tracks, like acoustic guitar. In the past year or so, I've discovered I don't want every track "tapefied"
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Same here. I hated what that Enhance knob did. I would also challenge the idea that there is a built in limiter in ZULU. There's no built in limiter that I'm aware of.
In the sense that "limiting" means establishing a ceiling, obviously not. Push more in, more comes out. But the maker plays pretty loose with audio terminology, so it's no surprise that the fan base does too.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Yup!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Same here. I hated what that Enhance knob did. I would also challenge the idea that there is a built in limiter in ZULU. There's no built in limiter that I'm aware of. I never thought it was doing any real compression and certainly not limiting. I've gone back to processing digital tracks thru my last remaining 2 track reel to reel and I couldn't be happier. Only do this for some tracks, like acoustic guitar. In the past year or so, I've discovered I don't want every track "tapefied"
As ill says, it's all about mixing into it. Adding enhance at the end is not a good idea (unless your mix needed it).

It's not that there is a limiter built into it, but rather it can be used as one. I was comparing driving into the Zulu vs:

OVC128 > Elephant
OVC128 > Pro L2
OVC128 > AOM G2
OVC128 > Limiter 6

The clipping/limiting total was around 5dB, all hitting the same LUFS. Pushing into the Zulu, with the settings I mentioned, would not exceed 0dB (no matter how hard you drive), just as pushing into the ITB chains. If you used a lower headroom setting on the Zulu, the level would be lower, but it would still level and not exceed it.

This track has about that much clipping/limiting via the Zulu. FWIW that track was written, tracked, mixed and mastered in 1 day as a creative/productivity challenge.

I don't think of the Zulu as a tape machine either. ATR102 for that :¬)
Old 25th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i have two zulus. one im thinking of selling but im too lazy to make a post in classifieds. if someone wants to PM me we can work something out
PM'd
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
PM'd
I PMd first. It's mine!
Old 26th October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My new unit has been posted out by HAudio today, can't wait to unleash it on my mixes.
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have one Zulu that I am selling.... PM me

I'm based near London.

Had it most of the year , think its a great box, love the tonal shaping it does... but bought some AEA ribbon mic pre's and need the money
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have one Zulu that I am selling.... PM me

I'm based near London.

Had it most of the year , think its a great box, love the tonal shaping it does... but bought some AEA ribbon mic pre's and need the money
Well I'm in Canada so overseas shipping isn't ideal, but is doable. I've asked boneshowell (also selling a Zulu) where he's based and just waiting for him to get back to me. Perhaps duckoff (looking to buy) is nearby you. In any case, hopefully we can all work something out, lol.
Old 26th October 2020
Gear Head
Thought I would chime in with regards to ordering off of Reverb... I was able to snag one a few weeks ago and it shipped pretty quickly and arrived about a week later (Canada).

So far for tracking vox (KH87)/acoustic guitar (KM84), I am liking tx, pro deck, bias 12pm, enhance off, headroom hi. Sometimes with a little 10k from a pultec clone. I think @ Rob Coates said to checkout this setting—been pretty happy with it so far. Haven't tried a mix through it yet but will probably start with the HX mode when mixing tracks that were captured in tx to not further attenuate the highs.

Cheers
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Well I'm in Canada so overseas shipping isn't ideal, but is doable. I've asked boneshowell (also selling a Zulu) where he's based and just waiting for him to get back to me. Perhaps duckoff (looking to buy) is nearby you. In any case, hopefully we can all work something out, lol.
I've got two brand new Zulus to ship from Portland, OR. (They were part of my JuZu bundle "refund.") Just haven't gotten around to listing them on Reverb or the classifieds...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanktron View Post
Thought I would chime in with regards to ordering off of Reverb... I was able to snag one a few weeks ago and it shipped pretty quickly and arrived about a week later (Canada).

So far for tracking vox (KH87)/acoustic guitar (KM84), I am liking tx, pro deck, bias 12pm, enhance off, headroom hi. Sometimes with a little 10k from a pultec clone. I think @ Rob Coates said to checkout this setting—been pretty happy with it so far. Haven't tried a mix through it yet but will probably start with the HX mode when mixing tracks that were captured in tx to not further attenuate the highs.

Cheers
Nice! Thanks for the info. There are no new ones on reverb right now, but I do have it on my notify list. But it seems there are several people selling here, so hopefully that will work out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Dash View Post
I've got two brand new Zulus to ship from Portland, OR. (They were part of my JuZu bundle "refund.") Just haven't gotten around to listing them on Reverb or the classifieds...
Awesome, will PM you in a moment.
Old 13th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Dash View Post
I've got one more brand new Zulu to ship. I'll put it up on Reverb tomorrow or the next day but figured I'd mention it here before that if anyone's still looking for one. PM me soon if you're interested!
Old 14th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Is there a Zulu in Europe willing to move into my Studio? :-)
Would like to buy one.
There are some on reverb but importing into Germany from the US is sometimes....especially in my hometown
Old 19th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@ memyselfand_I How much would you be willing to pay in total for a like new/mint boxed Zulu from Europe delivered?

By the way just out of curiousity, has anyone ever upped pictures of the inside/internals of the Zulu on here or anywhere? If so can you link me up please, cheers!
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graph View Post
@ memyselfand_I How much would you be willing to pay in total for a like new/mint boxed Zulu from Europe delivered?

By the way just out of curiousity, has anyone ever upped pictures of the inside/internals of the Zulu on here or anywhere? If so can you link me up please, cheers!
The main components are potted in epoxy. I"m 99% sure an inductor is the main component along with a couple of small transformers and some diodes for distortion. The Zulu effect is easily reproduced if you have an all inductor EQ.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
@ Rob Coates

Do you think the Zulu is a sh1te piece of kit, or?

Cheers!
Old 21st November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

19 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graph View Post
@ Rob Coates

Do you think the Zulu is a sh1te piece of kit, or?

Cheers!
No I don't. It can sound great. I just don't need one. I found the passive nature and need to tie up another device to gain stage too much of a hassle. Went back to actual tape processing for selected tracks.
Old 25th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have a mint Zulu in all original packaging available if anyone is interested...
Old 29th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
I have a mint Zulu in all original packaging available if anyone is interested...
pm’ed you
Old 29th November 2020
Gear Head

end of 2 bus chain:

Zulu, MAS, or pair of 542s. Which would you pick?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzb View Post
end of 2 bus chain:

Zulu, MAS, or pair of 542s. Which would you pick?
Mas no doubt. It's the sweetest and won't f**k with your fidelity.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Mas no doubt. It's the sweetest and won't f**k with your fidelity.
Confirmed! Thx
📝 Reply