The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone still using PZM mics out there?
Old 13th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton View Post
What would be an alternative I wonder? I guess it would have to fit the casing.
I posted it above, and that mod removes the casing from the mic cable entirely.
As I mentioned above, I replaced the casing with a circuit mounted inside an old direct box, to take advantage of the XLR and 1/4-inch jacks in the box, though I think the 1/4-inch needed to be a stereo jack.
This circuit allows you to power the mics via P48, and removes the awful RS transformers from the mics.
https://www.jdbsound.com/art/art520.html

IIRC, when I was researching this, I saw a website that offered a circuit board to do the same thing, but I just did it on some perfboard.
http://uneeda-audio.com/#pzm
Lots of other good info there.

I had previously tried mounting clips for 9v batteries in the original casing, soldering XLR connectors to the cables, and many of the other things being mentioned in this thread, and none of them sounded nearly as good as this mod, because the transformers in there are trash.
Old 14th May 2019
Gear Addict
I still use regularly: Audio-Technica AT871R x 2 and Beyer Dynamic MPC 66 x 2 as room mics.

The Beyer is half omni and the AT unidirectional. The Beyers work great on a wall or ceiling taking out one of the room boundaries and making the room sound a bit "bigger". The ATs are great when you want more source as you can "aim" them. The ATs work well on guitar and bass amps if you want a more realistic tone but obviously have the opposite of in-your-face aggressive vibe. I have all 4 always available to plug in in my studio.

I have a number of Realistic (Tandy in the US) PZMs that served me well in the 80s and 90s but no longer get use.

The Shure Beta91a gets lots of use around the world as a kick in mic for live use but I'm sure you all know this already. I would specify them on my tech rider if I was fussy but always just use what the venue have available.

Tony
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchgtr View Post
I posted it above, and that mod removes the casing from the mic cable entirely.
As I mentioned above, I replaced the casing with a circuit mounted inside an old direct box, to take advantage of the XLR and 1/4-inch jacks in the box, though I think the 1/4-inch needed to be a stereo jack.
This circuit allows you to power the mics via P48, and removes the awful RS transformers from the mics.
https://www.jdbsound.com/art/art520.html

IIRC, when I was researching this, I saw a website that offered a circuit board to do the same thing, but I just did it on some perfboard.
http://uneeda-audio.com/#pzm
Lots of other good info there.

I had previously tried mounting clips for 9v batteries in the original casing, soldering XLR connectors to the cables, and many of the other things being mentioned in this thread, and none of them sounded nearly as good as this mod, because the transformers in there are trash.
Thanks for this.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I sometimes use a pair of audio technica pzms for drum underheads. I position them like overheads, but underneath the drums. It picks up more drums and less cymbals. It sounds really weird having an upside down perspective, but kind of cool. If you can get the placement in phase with any top mics, it can be beefy.

I usually keep them floating around as room mics as well. They sound natural and easy to setup.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search