The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking of selling my Soundtracs Solo Board. Am I making a mistake? Consoles
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

Thinking of selling my Soundtracs Solo Board. Am I making a mistake?

Hey Guys,
I am thinking of selling my soundtracks solo 16X4 board. I have been doing some checking on this forum and apparently these boards have really nice discrete mic pres. I have always used the board live and have never recorded with it, and, unfortunately, my studio is down right now so I cannot compare it to my Neve,Calrec, api, grace, etc pres. What are your opinions on this board. Is it worth keeping around for someone with nice outboard mic pres? I don't want to kick myself for selling it. If you think I should sell it, what price should I ask? I have a nice cellini supercase for it with 10" of doghouse space. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Mario
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Guru

I have a Sountracs solo MIDI 16x8. The preamps are really not bad, but certainly no comparison to "name" outboard pres. They are reasonably clean but 'unexciting' I guess is the word. I use them without fear, but only after the 'good' pres are used up. I always loved the EQs on the board, but don't have much use for them these days.

I have never tried using the board for summing, but I would not expect miracles there either.

I use it for distribution, talkback, headphones level control- I like the convenience of a board, but I switch to a passive volume control when I am mixing, as I feel it is less colored that way. See my comment on summing above.

It's bigger, size and channel wise, than I personally need for my current DAW based setup, and who needs MIDI muting anymore, so I looked into selling it, thinking I would buy something about the same level but newer and more compact.

But I was dismayed by the prices boards like this are going for on eBay. My dreams of turning that board into a fistful of cash evaporated pretty quick.

Like the song says, it's cheaper to keep her.
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

Wow...I have just the opposite with my Solo 32...The pres are warm and colored, just right for certain things...even though we have a pretty good assortment of external pres, we still use the SC for a lot of stuff...

Since its arrival here we so all mixing, routing, monitoring, talkback, etc...everything one would expect from a well designed console...Got mine for a bit less than a song, and afer a a couple hours cleaning out some sticky faders has been flawless...

Everyone has a different opnion, but if it were up to me, I'd hang onto a 16x4 Solo as long as it was working properly...the summing works extremely well, and the EQ is miles ahead of 99% of the internal DAW EQs I am familiar with...routing is very good...Or when you make a ton of cash and buy a (insert 1/2M dollar board here) it wll still serve as a submixer, B room mixer, or any number of chores....

Just another opinion, but if it were me, I'd fix it up. recap if need be, and put it to work...
Old 13th March 2007
Lives for gear

I have a 24/8 solo logic that I simply love...keep it dudeheh
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

Thanks guys! Any more opinions out there? How does this compare to an A&H2400?
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Head

I had one years ago. I thought it was ok but I had faults with the VCAs on the faders so I would push a fader to the bottom and it would jump in level as if Id pushed it the other way. When it was working ok it was decent enough board but I chopped it in for a DDA QMR. Id say if its working ok and well maintained keep it.
Old 13th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by esumsea View Post
Thanks guys! Any more opinions out there?
Yeah...I have a 32/8 Solo Logic.

The pre´s are ok´ish.

The eq´s are very nice. Beats all the cheap stuff out there IMHO!

Also great routing and flexibility thumbsup

Solid construction, meter bridge, looks great too

I love it!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search