The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha HS5 vs. HS7 vs. HS8 the most overall balanced one?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Yamaha HS5 vs. HS7 vs. HS8 the most overall balanced one?

Hi,

Quite often in the single manufacturer's monitors lineup people find a specific model that is the most balanced one and not necessary the top one. Like many people prefer JBL LSR305 over LSR308, or Adam A7x in the AX series. Quite often the top one is still the overall best one. My question is what is the most overall balanced Yamaha's current lineup monitor in terms of resolution, coloration, imaging, frequency range, etc. I guess it is actually more related to two of them HS7 vs. HS8. Or they are all pretty much even and the actual difference is just frequency range?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Same^ I've heard people love the hs5 with a sub and people love the hs8 alone.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc4yr View Post
Same^ I've heard people love the hs5 with a sub and people love the hs8 alone.
I have the HS5s with an the HS8S sub and yes, I love the combo.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Ah, interesting, I did not think about such option, like HS5+HS8S vs. HS8.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

The HS8 is probably the best overall balance in a medium/larger room. If you are in a smallish room, the HS7 will most likely hold up better, considering the rear porting. They have similar mid range character, with the edge going to the HS7 for vocal translation due to the smaller woofer.

A producer friend of mine uses the HS7, and I like their balance a lot when set up right. It was easy to work on them in his space coming from my own, using Focal Solo's.

Prior to the Solo6's, I used to own the Yamaha HS80M's in a large room, and got very good translation from them.

I wouldn't say the HS5 have an ideal voicing/balance for all-around work. I used them as a second reference for vocals and mid range, but stopped eventually, and gave them away after working on the Solo's for awhile. The HS5's usefulness kind of starts and stops there IMO, but I never used them in a sub/satellite setup, as I'm not a proponent of subwoofers.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

I find the HS7's to have very good balance. They do of course lack the ability to reproduce the very lowest frequencies, and as such are not well suited for mastering, but OK for mixing, except one has to be cognizant of the small dip around 7KHz. But certainly for the price, an excellent monitor speaker, IMHO. Good luck.
PS I should add, they do have a lot of "bass", my comment about the "lowest frequencies" means those below what is typical for most music frequencies, but stuff one needs to hear accurately for mastering purposes.

Last edited by edva; 4 days ago at 04:27 PM.. Reason: PS
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

It depends on how you will use them. If you use them as nearfield monitors, the room size is not nearly as important as a factor. This is because you are relying on the direct, and not reflected sound for the most part. In addition, it you are using them as nearfield monitors, the power is not so important.

In my home studio I have a pair of HS5's and an HS8. Regardless of the rooms size, having the sub with the HS5's is a good idea so that you can hear the lower freqencies.

However, it you are not going to use them as nearfield monitors, it probably would be better to go with the larger versions.

I am quite happy with the sound in my setup and can recommend the 5's highly in that context.

Tom
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I was doing some session work for a pal last night. at the studio i met a gentlemen who ironically owns a studio down the street from my house and has a bunch of grammy nominations. We started talking gear and eventually got to speakers, he was mentioning to me that mixing on HS5s should be a lot like his NS10s in that they're not strong in the low end either.

i'm looking forward to wiring the hs10w up no my HS5s this week and see how it does.

attached the graph for the last generation of HS speakers to the NS.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha HS5 vs. HS7 vs. HS8 the most overall balanced one?-screen-shot-2017-02-17-11.42.33-am.png  
Old 2 days ago
I agree with edva, HS7. Depending on the room the subwoofer can be quite problematic, so I'd stick with a 2.0 system.
Loading mentioned products ...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search