The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Malcolm Toft ATC-2
Old 15th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Malcolm Toft ATC-2

From the designer of the Trident 80's series come this new Stereo Pre/EQ/Comp

The Pre uses Burr Browns, the EQ should sound like the Trident 80 Series and the compressor is supposed to sound very close to 1176

And I believe it should street around $1200! Sounds like a bargain if it sounds good...

More info here
Old 15th October 2002
Looks very 'use-able' to me.

Old 16th October 2002
Arrrrrrggggg I need money...
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Maniac

jeronimo they going to be releasing cut down versions of this in 2003. I think a dual compressor and a dual pre,eq for like $600 street...Seems like a pretty affordable unit. But the question is how does it sound. I believe they had demos at AES if anyone stopped by the PMI booth and chime in with there opinion.

I am most curious how close the compressor sounds to an 1176...they are not claiming to be a redo of the 1176 but just that it sounds very similar...if so that would be worth the price alone...also is anyone here familar with the Trident 80 series EQ? What made them special?
Old 16th October 2002
Lives for gear

They're not that special, but they do beat a Mackie. Just a good sounding rock console without a lot of bells and whistles. A little aggressive (harsh?) in the mids.
Old 16th October 2002
Gear Maniac

hey drundall...keep in mind that the pre on this has nothing to do with the Trident only the EQ I think...I thought Tridents were famous for their EQ? Oh Well..
Old 17th October 2002
Lives for gear

Mr. Toft & Joemeek put together did not contain the original Trident micpre. I´ve was told it was the same pre as in the Joemeek pre´s.....

It was not the exact same same as the joe meek, altho it was FAR better but still not the same as real A-Range. THe micpore int he MTA A-Range was an IC based affair, while the EQ was a pretty decent and GREAT sounding musical replication of the classic A-Range.

Im intersted too.... alto i am happy to stand coreccted when things come clearer, but it does smell a bit like a 'Name' that is now manufacturing in China or somewherelse to flesh out he bank and our pockets... but if it sounds good it sounds goos o who cares!!!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 17th October 2002
I agree w/ you guys... I'm not looking for a "real" replication of anything, but if it sounds good to me... I'll get it.
Old 29th October 2002
Lives for gear

www.toftaudio.com

More of your questions will be answered later as we get a little closer, but it will be here very soon. January is our ship date.
Old 29th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Nice to see you here Alan...sometimes I wonder if there are clones of you to share the workload... just had a thought...Rupert Neve mentioned in his online chat about releasing new versions of his classics....is there something you would like to tell us Alan
Old 29th October 2002
Very nice... looking foward to hear (read) the reviews....
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
It was not the exact same same as the joe meek, altho it was FAR better but still not the same as real A-Range. THe micpore int he MTA A-Range was an IC based affair, while the EQ was a pretty decent and GREAT sounding musical replication of the classic A-Range.
Don't be scared of the MTA A Range. It's a great unit and the EQ is one of the best I own which includes many of the golden greats.
Old 6th November 2002
Gear Maniac

The new word is that this will street for $999 :eek:
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Smafdy

Don't be scared of the MTA A Range. It's a great unit and the EQ is one of the best I own which includes many of the golden greats.
Jamie, I agree with you, but there was also many reliability problems which was a pain in the ass for us here. I just wish Ted Fletcher had made them more true to the original design instead of doing what he did, which was not letting Malcolm do them, but I do agree...they sound great.

The good news is the next project for Malcolm Toft is a dual channel "A" Range EQ exactly like the original. No mic amp, just EQ, and hopefully at $1,299.99 list for two channels. Then on to a rack mount mixer...
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
Nice to see you here Alan...sometimes I wonder if there are clones of you to share the workload... just had a thought...Rupert Neve mentioned in his online chat about releasing new versions of his classics....is there something you would like to tell us Alan
Funny now that you mention it, I have just hired in the UK an ex Neve designer, but it is not Ruppert...:D In addition, we will be opening our UK office in January.

Man, this is a small world....
Old 6th November 2002
Hey I have a general question about most of the units that are pre/comp/eq...
Can I use those units in a mix for example? If I need to use a compressor... the pre will be on the chain right? And most of those pres... start at let's say, 6db gain...
Does anyone uses a unit this way? Let's say I have this ATC-2 and I want to use it's compression on kick and snare... should I?
Old 6th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
hey drundall...keep in mind that the pre on this has nothing to do with the Trident only the EQ I think...I thought Tridents were famous for their EQ? Oh Well..
I don't use the Trident mic pre's. I was referring to the sound if the EQ.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Hey I have a general question about most of the units that are pre/comp/eq...
Can I use those units in a mix for example? If I need to use a compressor... the pre will be on the chain right? And most of those pres... start at let's say, 6db gain...
Does anyone uses a unit this way? Let's say I have this ATC-2 and I want to use it's compression on kick and snare... should I?
You can use them in a mix, just kick the mic line switch to line and go for it. The mic pre will be out of the chain, and the EQ defeatable as well.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

Re: Allan;

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
When will the new Toft Design be avalible? (atc-2)
End of January!
Old 9th August 2003
Here for the gear

alan,

just wondering if you could give us some more info about toft's upcoming rack mount mixer?

price?

features?

also, what's the deal with the joe meek jm828?

on the website it says that it was supposed to ship may of 2003 but no retailer i've spoken to has even heard of it....

-libations
Old 10th August 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by est1769
alan,

just wondering if you could give us some more info about toft's upcoming rack mount mixer?

price?

features?

also, what's the deal with the joe meek jm828?

on the website it says that it was supposed to ship may of 2003 but no retailer i've spoken to has even heard of it....

-libations
There is a whole thread on the mixer at Click Here

As for the JM828, it is now back to a Studio Prjects SP828 as it was originally supposed to come out as. I know it is confusing but as a result of the new Joemeek extrusion on the front panel, we have been having trouble getting the 8 channel mic pre to fit in the curved face panel.

This is what has been taking so much time, so we decided to just can the idea of making it a Joemeek and go back to the SP828. Maybe by the end of the year or earlier it will be out. This is all our fault, but **** happens....
Old 10th August 2003
Here for the gear

you guys are a Godsend!!!

that toft audio mixer looks great and fits my needs/budget perfectly! i was gonna go for a dangerous mixer with outboard pres and eq but this seems like a much better and more economical solution.

PS - keep it rack mounted!!!

as for the jm828:

understandable problem. will the sp828 use the same preamp design as specified on the jm828 website or will it simply be an 8 channel version of the studio projects preamp?
Old 10th August 2003
Hey Alan,

On a different front;

I got a Joe Meek VC1(the green "brick") which is giving me some problems. How can I get it repaired?

Thanks.

TTF
Old 7th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
The good news is the next project for Malcolm Toft is a dual channel "A" Range EQ exactly like the original. No mic amp, just EQ, and hopefully at $1,299.99 list for two channels. Then on to a rack mount mixer...
Alan,
Any news on his "remake" a-range eq?
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gie-Sound
Alan,
Any news on his "remake" a-range eq?
Wow, old thread. Not yet, malcolm is finishing the mixer right now, then he will do the A Range. Maybe end of year for that.
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

Confused

This thread is puzzling. I thought the ATC-2 had been on the market for at least six months or so in the US (maybe longer). Mercenary has it on their website. Is this some kind of re-do of the original release? Tony Visconti wrote a review of the piece in Tape Op quite a few issues ago. Thanks.
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear
Hard to imagine a more bog standard uninteresting mic pre and EQ.
The Trident rep was built on the A or B, not on the Series 80 which was ALREADY largely trading on their rep (undeservedly).

and as for the A-Range reissues...
Not like a "real A-Range"???? the A-Range "reissue" was NOTHING like an A-Range.

It's like calling a Focusrite 110 a 1073 resissue.
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

Re: Confused

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodstone
This thread is puzzling. I thought the ATC-2 had been on the market for at least six months or so in the US (maybe longer). Mercenary has it on their website. Is this some kind of re-do of the original release? Tony Visconti wrote a review of the piece in Tape Op quite a few issues ago. Thanks.
ATC-2 has been on the market for some time. This is a very old thread that somehow got renewed. Tony stilluses his ATC-2 all the time, and now several more notable users are using them. Quite a nice EQ (80B), and the compressor is an original remake of the CB****46 FET stereo compressor. Those two items are more than worth the price of the ATC-2...IMHO
Old 8th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by wwittman
Hard to imagine a more bog standard uninteresting mic pre and EQ.
The Trident rep was built on the A dn B, not on the Series 80 whcih was ALREADY trading on their rep (undeservedly).

and as for the A-Range reissues...
Not like a "real A-Range"???? the A-Range "reissue" was NOTHING like an A-Range.

It's like calling a Focusrite 110 a 1073 resissue.
Sounds like your a bit upset on the remakes by some other folks.

The 80B was a great console by the way. A lot of good tracks came of that board, but it was the A-Range that was the heart and sole of the original Trident Developments..(not John Oram) Agreed the reissues from Fletcher Electro-Acoustics and others of the A-Range were not real.

As you know, Malcolm Toft designed the A-Range Console. This time as Toft Audio, he has control over the project which unfortunately he did not on any past issues.

Malcolm's intention is to do the A-Range the way it was. He has his original plans and even has sought out the old transformers and EQ coils for the remake. Only time will tell if it is the real deal or not. I think it will be, as such it will be noisey, which the A-Range was.
Old 9th February 2005
Gear Head

Oh great! That's all we need is a noisy EQ !!

I know Malcolm employed John Oram to sort out the problems of the A range and that's how they became great buddies.

I also know Malcolm was John's Best Man at his wedding and John was Malcolm's Godfather to his kids. These guys had a good time together I'm sure and John always talks fondly of Malcolm.

A range had RFI probs that John sorted out. I hope the new releases will contain those mods and not make radio receivers.

Cut the aggro Alan and give some truth. There's room for Toft and Oram out there.

Mike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search