The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Malcolm Toft ATC-2
Old 10th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mike scott

Cut the aggro Alan and give some truth. There's room for Toft and Oram out there.

Mike
Sounds like you had a bit too much coffee this morning. Calm down or you just might blow up.

First of all, your facts are all wrong. Its cool that you like John Oram and are friends with him, but if he is telling you he designed the A-Range and 80B, or helped, well he is full of ****.

John Oram did not sort out any RF problems on any of these consoles either. This is direct from Malcolm; " I can categorically state that he had nothing whatsoever to do with it's
design or subsequent manufacture and that goes for the B range as well. The A and B ranges were entirely designed by Barry Porter and myself". John Oram was only involved in the Trident consoles that were i.c. based.

So the truth is known to a few survivors...Malcolm, The Sheffields of Trident Studio's, and a few of the old tech's who are still around.

As for the B Range consoles, 300 studios in the USA had Series 80 consoles, so how bad could they be.
Old 11th February 2005
Gear Head

Interesting how you state in earlier mails that Oram never worked for Trident, now it seems he did.

Great too that you recognise the Series 80 as John's, his third board for Trident using i.c. op amps., (I think it went Fleximix, "C" range that became TSM and then Series 80). Yes, I do know quite a lot about Oram, I knew him and Malcolm during those times.)

The B range was not the Series 80 Alan, you dumb bell!
The 300 boards was the Series 80B.

Also .........

Remind MT of all the roll-off caps on the back of the A Range that Oram removed just after Porter left that cured his RFI problems.

All mouth, no trousers! I think they say in Blighty!!
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear
With all due respect, saying the "80b was a great" desk does not make it so.
Certainly many records were made on them.. as many records were made on SSL's or MCI's or a long list of desks that don't sound all that great.
Quality of sound is a matter of opinion.
Mine is that the Series 80 was adequate, but not more.

The A Range was what was special about Trident.

It would be great to see MTA make a real A Range module.
If it IS a real, class A , all discrete A Range module.

meanwhile, that's what a Daking basically is.
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by wwittman
With all due respect, saying the "80b was a great" desk does not make it so.
Certainly many records were made on them.. as many records were made on SSL's or MCI's or a long list of desks that don't sound all that great.
Quality of sound is a matter of opinion.
Mine is that the Series 80 was adequate, but not more.

The A Range was what was special about Trident.

It would be great to see MTA make a real A Range module.
If it IS a real, class A , all discrete A Range module.

meanwhile, that's what a Daking basically is.
I agree with what you are saying. The A-Range was what made Trident Special. The EQ was a coil inductive design and as such it was a bit noisy, but Malcolm is determined to produce the original this time. The units by Daking are his representations of the A-Range, and the one done by Ted Fletcher was a disaster.

If Malcolm can't get this new A-Range exactly the way he wants it, I expect he will not do it, but it will be the way it was designed by Barry Porter and Malcolm.

As for the 80B console, saying it was a great console does not make it so, but my experiences with them were very favorable. I prefered the A-Range and there are still a few in LA here.

Lets hope Malcolm gets it done. Time will tell. He starts this project as soon as he gets the reproduced coils and transformers...
Old 11th February 2005
Lives for gear

ATC-2

Quote:
Originally posted by alanhyatt
I agree with what you are saying. The A-Range was what made Trident Special. The EQ was a coil inductive design and as such it was a bit noisy, but Malcolm is determined to produce the original this time. The units by Daking are his representations of the A-Range, and the one done by Ted Fletcher was a disaster.

If Malcolm can't get this new A-Range exactly the way he wants it, I expect he will not do it, but it will be the way it was designed by Barry Porter and Malcolm.

As for the 80B console, saying it was a great console does not make it so, but my experiences with them were very favorable. I prefered the A-Range and there are still a few in LA here.

Lets hope Malcolm gets it done. Time will tell. He starts this project as soon as he gets the reproduced coils and transformers...
I just ordered one. I hope it's what it's touted to be.
Old 12th February 2005
Gear Head

Can you tell me where it's made, Alan ..... in England ???
Old 21st February 2005
Gear Head

Sounds like it's made in China ?
Old 22nd February 2005
Lives for gear

We'll See

I'm pretty sure it's assembled in China. Mine just shipped today. If anyone's interested, I'll give my humble project studio review after I put it through the paces. I've got a ton of mixing to do, and am hoping it will be just the thing for some channel compression and/or eq.
Old 1st March 2005
Gear Head

Re: We'll See

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodstone
I'm pretty sure it's assembled in China. Mine just shipped today. If anyone's interested, I'll give my humble project studio review after I put it through the paces. I've got a ton of mixing to do, and am hoping it will be just the thing for some channel compression and/or eq.
We build the Toft products in China. We do it for a very good reason. We are able to get a good quality build from them at a price that allows us to pass the saving on to you... the end user.

Were this product manufactured in the US or the UK, we'd have to price it 3 to 4 times higher. I doubt anyone would be thrilled with that!

It would be a mistake to judge this product by it's price.
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

YEAH!!! but when will we see the A-range and the SP mics that have been promised for so long?

Wiggy
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

Just arrived

Just got it wired into the patch bay. Gave it a little run through on some drum overheads I had already tracked. The fixed threshold on the comp is a little different for me, but once I got used to it I liked it. You have to play around with a combination of ratio, attack & input. The EQ had a very appealing impact on the overall tone of the OH in the mix. I was able to clean up some harshness in the high hat, crash & ride. That's all I got, I need to work it over some more and put those "controversial" mic pres to the test.
Old 1st March 2005
Lives for gear

Wiggy,

Soon....We promise, we will do it, but we have to get the console done first. My guess is Malcolme will start the project in May.

Bloodstone,

It does take some getting used to the compressor. The fixed threshold is tied to the input so that changes as well, but once you get a handle on it, it is very easy to set up and use.

You will notice that when you switch to gain reduction without the compressor being on, the meter is active. This allows you to set up critical settings for gain reduction before you switch the compressor on. So you can set the ratio control and watch just how much gain reduction you have added. Then switch the compressor in, adjust the attack and release, then add any makup gain as needed.

Remember, the attack is very fast and can cause issues if set to fast. Time and experience with it will get you a much better appreciation of what it does...
Old 20th October 2008
Lives for gear

Has anyone, or does anyone use this on the 2 bus? It may not be a glamorous choice but I am looking for an eq and compressor for my analogue 2 bus chain, and this is very tempting at the price.

I like dialing in a little eq on my master and, the addition of usable pre's will allow it to pull double duty when tracking.

How grabby is the compressor. I'm not necessarily looking for an ssl style bus comp I just want something that sounds good, and will give me 1 or 2 db of gain reduction and mix shaping.

Cheers

Iwan

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search