The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Possible Issue With New PreSonus AR16 Mixer-Interface Condenser Microphones
Old 31st January 2017
Here for the gear

Possible Issue With New PreSonus AR16 Mixer-Interface

I bought a PreSonus AR16 mixer-interface last week and use it to record drums. Was using a PreSonus AudioBox USB prior to that with much success using only 2 overhead condenser AT-2020 mics.

Now I have this larger mixer-interface, using the same 2 overheads along with 8 dynamics on the drums. The problem is, I’m not too thrilled with the results? It’s as though the AR16 lacks dynamic range or something to that effect or is most likely a software issue. Everything recorded using it is considerably quieter and flatter. Increasing the levels really doesn’t help and it simply goes from okay sound to okay sound that’s clipping.

See the link below of the screenshot example. The interesting one is the imported MP3 file. This is the exact same file dragged into Studio One Artist and saved as an MP3. Notice how the file dragged into Studio One when the AR16 is running is flatter with less dynamic range when compared to the other two. Also see my drums on the bottom. Using settings as close as I possibly can, the waveform from the AR16 is very poor when compared to the AudioBox USB.

I'd like to keep this board as it's very nice and does everything I need. The results are from the same computer, Windows 10 laptop with plenty of horsepower. I'm thinking it's a driver issue of some kind although reinstalled everything and get the same results.

It's not a disaster, but just lacks the super clarity, pop and sparkle I get with the small AudioBox interface. Any suggestions much appreciated!

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/9...x-waveform.png
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search