The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha B1 Silent SI board mod: add midi out (without buying the new version!)
Old 26th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Yamaha B1 Silent SI board mod: add midi out (without buying the new version!)

Hello everyone

thought about posting here something I discovered some time ago for a friend who needed some help with Yamaha B1 Silent Piano SI.

This is a very fine entry level acoustic piano with the quite ingenious and useful 'silent piano', that is just a laser sensor under the keys that converts them in MIDI and allows playing at night using one of the pedals (that simply lifts the hammer so they never touch the strings, so you get basically real piano action/weight but the sound is just mechanical and it comes instead from the samples rom that is in a box under the piano).

Now these are somehow difficult to find second-hand, because Yamaha introduced then an upgraded version, that is the same piano with a board that has more sounds/options and, most of all, MIDI OUT.

But it costs 4 grands, while the second hand previous version, the same exact piano apart from this small electronics addition, costs usually HALF THE PRICE.

We tried contacting Yamaha asking for an upgrade (paid), and they refused to comment for 'internal policies'. So once again I did it on my own with the precious help of a friend, as I was sure they are obviously using MIDI but they implemented it only in the second upgraded version to have people spending money.

Long story short, opening the box under the piano we found that obviously it was a board using already MIDI (why reinvent something that exists?), and is even USB ready!

Because Yamaha refused to help with circuits, we did it all and I post below the pictures of the small circuit board (some soldering needed) and how to simply connect to the main connector in the Yamaha board, the one coming from the controller under the keys that sends MIDI ready signals.

You basically 'take' the power (5v) and signal (GND and RX) from the connector in the pictures, and with the small pcb you get a MIDI OUT. The scheme is made for 4 MIDI OUTS, but you can adapt for just one as I did.

There are more elegant ways to do it, but without modifying the original thing you can just to what I did and simply plug your cables on top of the other cables in the connector, and keep them steady with a short resistor as I did.

Sorry obviously there's no way here to explain how to read the circuit scheme or how to solder, but if you have a friend with even basic soldering knowledge that circuit is super simple and in no time you'll be ready to get MIDI OUT from the same Yamaha B1 that Yamaha wants to sell you twice the price.

Once you have a MIDI OUT you don't need any of the other (anyway very limited) options in the new model electronics, because you have much more with any basic computer: the new B1 itself is an acoustic piano identical to the older one

Good luck!
Old 10th February 2017
Here for the gear

Very good post.
According to a few of my friends, they told me that the pin 6 of the sn74ls14 should be connected to pin 2 of the jtopiano (tx) and not on 3 (rx). If this is correct, in total we have 4 cables to connect to piano card. Finally I cannot understand if the two connectors (jfrompiano and jtopiano) are the same (and only one) connector with 5 pins. Thank you for the collaboration
Old 26th May 2019
Here for the gear

Hi, Thank you for sharing. I want to use a USB B connector, not the old midi connector. On the usb I have Vbus, D-, D+, GND. How does this connect in the circuit scheme? Was there any conclusion on the last post, suggesting pin 6 on chip to pin 3tx and not pin 2tx?
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi, the only conclusion I do have is that after years is that I keep using it as in that scheme, and it all works perfectly after years
Old 26th May 2019
Here for the gear

Sounds great. Thank you. What about the usb? Do you know how to connect it to the usb b connector?
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Maniac

That scheme is for standard midi din out, so is super easy to get any midi/usb on Amazon and similar for a tenner and go from there.
Old 26th May 2019
Here for the gear

Yes of course, but if the same circuit could be used to mount a usb b female on my piano, it would also be a more elegant solution to just get a usb b male to lightning cable to plug in the iPad directly. No adapters needed.
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Obviously yes, maybe someone else can experiment.

Personally like on all my synths I never use or want the direct usb, I prefer a standard midi din compatible with all my devices without the need of a computer
Old 26th June 2019
Here for the gear

Can you please explain the pin 6 to Rx connection? I canโ€™t see it in your setup
Old 27th June 2019
Here for the gear

Btw I will use the standard midi port out as described. And only one output. Also do I have to break the number 3 cable between the two connectors? Thanks for any help.
Old 10th August 2019
Here for the gear

No comments on this one? Iโ€™m finally about to start soldering and hopefully not making a mess. I would really appreciate some feedback as Iโ€™m a noob in schematics.
Old 10th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Sorry I dont know as a friend helped me so I dont know, he says everything is there for it to work!
Old 27th February 2020
Here for the gear

Finally gave it a shot and it works! the schematics is for sure correct. The only downside is that the headphone output now seems to be not working anymore. Any solutions to this rofus?
Old 27th February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioErik View Post
Finally gave it a shot and it works! the schematics is for sure correct. The only downside is that the headphone output now seems to be not working anymore. Any solutions to this rofus?
I'm not sure because the headphone out is completely not related to that, and my one keeps working as usual never had a problem.

Maybe something got disconnected while working on it?
Old 28th February 2020
Here for the gear

I found that if you do the wiring like the schematics, the onboard analoge module does not get any midi signal, and thus not any signal in the headphone out. I reconnected the 3tx and now both the midi and the headphone out works. Thank you for the mod rofus! Im now playing the iGrand from iPad, and it sounds great.
Old 1st March 2020
Here for the gear

Hi guys.
I have the same problem. I want to get the Yamaha ready for the Synthesia application to visualize the played songs on this beautiful piano.
Mainly as learning support for my kids.
I hope I can ask you guys about these mod`s.
See you soon, Bye
Old 1st March 2020
Here for the gear

Okay my first questions.
1. These resistors are 220 Ohm or 22 Ohm? Shematic view has quite low resolution
2. Photo 1 does not fit with the cables to photo 2. . Why are resistor sticking in the pins of the internal midiconnector on photo 2 but not on photo 1 ?

Kind regards, Seeda.
Old 1st March 2020
Here for the gear

Hi Seeda.

1: Its 220 ohm
2: The resistors sticking out was used by rofus to keep the cables in place for temporary testing i guess. The only resistor you need is the one named R1 in the schematics. Search google for the correct numbering on the sn74ls14 chip and follow the schematic. But as I suggested in my previous post, do not break the number 3TX cable if you still want to use the headphones out. I mounted a Midi connector on the side of the unit, works great. Hope you can figure it out as I also found the pictures a bit confusing.
Old 9th March 2020
Here for the gear

Hi guys, hi Erik.

Thank you for your post.
I will try it and make some additional research.
First I`ve found some PDFs one of the Texas Instruments SN74LS14N chip
Second the the sheme of the Yamaha CP33 board, which is the same board but with some additional functionalities which the piano is not offering, i.g. USB etc...
More steps will follow
Attached Files
File Type: pdf yamaha_cp33_sm.pdf (5.92 MB, 66 views) File Type: pdf SN74LS14N-Texas-Instruments.pdf (683.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 9th April 2020
Here for the gear

Ground / reference voltage

Hey rofus. Thanks for the detailed guide!
About to try it myself but I'm a little confused about the midi ground/signal (#1 and 2 respectively next to "midi out 1").
If I look at this article by sparkfun it seems like pin #1 coming from the resistor is the midi "reference voltage" line and pin #2 coming from ground is the "data line"?
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...implementation
That's correct right, it sounds a little reversed?
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubipo View Post
Hey rofus. Thanks for the detailed guide!
About to try it myself but I'm a little confused about the midi ground/signal (#1 and 2 respectively next to "midi out 1").
If I look at this article by sparkfun it seems like pin #1 coming from the resistor is the midi "reference voltage" line and pin #2 coming from ground is the "data line"?
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...implementation
That's correct right, it sounds a little reversed?
I'm afraid I'm not sure I can reply as the scheme was done with a friend who's an expert and I can't remember now...I do know though it works very well and without any damage
Old 9th April 2020
Here for the gear

That's alright. Just to be sure though; the picture on the scheme is the outside of a female connector right (as in the view when plugging in a male connector)?
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That's alright. Just to be sure though; the picture on the scheme is the outside of a female connector right (as in the view when plugging in a male connector)?
Yep that's a female connector
Old 9th April 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the personal support
Everything works flawlessly! Just like the diagram and your pictures described (build-in headphone jack sound also still works).

My housemates will be grateful that I can practice in silence
Old 9th April 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the personal support
Everything works flawlessly! Just like the diagram and your pictures described (build-in headphone jack sound also still works).

My housemates will be grateful that I can practice in silence
I'm very happy it works mate

That's the beauty of GS and the internet...I'm still mad at Yamaha for nor providing this simple fix as a module or upgrade instead of trying to sell you a whole piano that is the same apart from this small mod...

Anyway, good it works, the more people try this simple mod the more we know it works and can be safely applied.

To be honest since then I used similar approach on other devices, like some Korg Volcas missing a midi in or out simply because they were not bothered of adding the connector on a board that was already ready for both... #justsaying
Old 10th April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofus View Post
Anyway, good it works, the more people try this simple mod the more we know it works and can be safely applied.
Exactly, and for reference; I've got a v1.3 box, with some room on the left side for the mod: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5nSrqjXAvdmLbFJYA
Old 10th April 2020
Here for the gear

Nice work! Really interested in how is your setup? How du you plan to use the midi signal?
Old 11th April 2020
Here for the gear

I don't know if that was directed to me but I connected mine to a midi-to-usb cable and then to a tablet via usb-OTG to practice on simply piano (โ„ข ).
Works flawlessly, no more note recognition issues.
Old 22nd April 2020
Here for the gear

Hi guys.

Thank you for bringing this further.
I have done the cable work now but I still have a problem understanding the schematic view.

It tells us that there is a internal circuit from 3to4 and from there from 5 to 6. Or do I have to wire these pins externaly?

If you compare this schematic wire diagram with the schemativ view by Texas instruments you can see that following the schematic wire diagram is a bit confusing. What are pin 3,4,5,6 meant for ?
And do I have to make this again if I want to connect the pedals?
I `ve attached two pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha B1 Silent SI board mod: add midi out (without buying the new version!)-schematic.jpeg   Yamaha B1 Silent SI board mod: add midi out (without buying the new version!)-sn74_01.png  
Old 22nd April 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeda View Post
Hi guys.

Thank you for bringing this further.
I have done the cable work now but I still have a problem understanding the schematic view.

It tells us that there is a internal circuit from 3to4 and from there from 5 to 6. Or do I have to wire these pins externaly?

If you compare this schematic wire diagram with the schemativ view by Texas instruments you can see that following the schematic wire diagram is a bit confusing. What are pin 3,4,5,6 meant for ?
And do I have to make this again if I want to connect the pedals?
I `ve attached two pictures.
Regarding the RX wire that gets tapped for the midi signal and runs to the yamaha amplifier:

I personally didn't connect it through the SN74LS14. But I guess it could help if you were to extend the RX wire, that way the signal gets buffered. As for the "internal connection"; you're right, they just have to be wired externally, it needs to go through the SN74LS14 twice because it needs to be inverted twice. That way the signal comes out like it came in. The connections you'd need are: RxFromPiano -> 3 4 -> 5 6 -> RxToPiano .

But again, if you don't add a long wire between the "FromPiano" and "ToPiano" plug you should be fine. I just cut the wire to "wiretap" it and soldered it back together, without making it longer.

Regarding the pedals:
They just work , both soft and sustain
๐Ÿ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear