The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heads up on a good mic deal! Condenser Microphones
Old 26th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
I'd throw that Valvo on a tester!
Valvo tests are outstanding: 3.6mA (120%), 2,300 Gm (127%).

Maybe I have the world's greatest Electro-Harmonix
Old 26th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accompianist View Post
Valvo tests are outstanding: 3.6mA (120%), 2,300 Gm (127%).

Maybe I have the world's greatest Electro-Harmonix
Well that could be But I pulled three of them out, 2 out of the Revelation X/Y and 1 out of the Revelation, and none of them are quiet as the Mullards I replaced them with. That said, they all sounded pretty good.
Old 27th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yep it's that mid clarity quality that I like, my U87 is always too thick on the guitars the U89 sounds right on! The U89 is an honest sounding mic.

As for the Revelation... Check out this comparison, Bob Womack is a GS member... MXL Revelation
U87 on kick was really useful in a recent session for an up and coming pop singer we know out here. She's got some really classic sounds in her tunes and we used her father's 87 on our kick, sounded stupid fat. Gotta love neumanns!

I'm checking out audio demos for the MXL tonight! I'll let you know what I think after I get some work done!
Old 28th March 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Well that could be But I pulled three of them out, 2 out of the Revelation X/Y and 1 out of the Revelation, and none of them are quiet as the Mullards I replaced them with. That said, they all sounded pretty good.
One other possibility: MXL pre-burns their Electro-Harmonix tubes and my NOS Valvo is seeing a signal for the first time.

Gonna leave it on the next two days and test again.
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakun View Post
U87 on kick was really useful in a recent session for an up and coming pop singer we know out here. She's got some really classic sounds in her tunes and we used her father's 87 on our kick, sounded stupid fat. Gotta love neumanns!

I'm checking out audio demos for the MXL tonight! I'll let you know what I think after I get some work done!
I use a Neumann M147 on kick and it sounds righteous, but I can't wait to try the Revelation for the same thing (that was one of the main reasons I bought it!).
Old 28th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
One other possibility: MXL pre-burns their Electro-Harmonix tubes and my NOS Valvo is seeing a signal for the first time.

Gonna leave it on the next two days and test again.
Good idea I'm interested to hear in what happens!
Old 12th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Good idea I'm interested to hear in what happens!
Forgot to update this.

Valvo improved dramatically after about 48 hours of burn in. Noise floor dropped and the mids cleared up. Very pleased.

I've got to say, the continously variable pattern on this mic makes it work on just about anything. Not sure why we were able to get these so cheap, but I hope MXL doesn't discontinue these.
Old 13th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Forgot to update this.

Valvo improved dramatically after about 48 hours of burn in. Noise floor dropped and the mids cleared up. Very pleased.

I've got to say, the continously variable pattern on this mic makes it work on just about anything. Not sure why we were able to get these so cheap, but I hope MXL doesn't discontinue these.
Well the $399 deal is gone, but the mics are still available. Good to hear that the Valvo burned in well!
Old 13th April 2017
$449 now, not such a great deal anymore. Interesting that the catalog that came shipped with the mic shows the price as $399, but they've taken it off the website last I looked.

I'm really happy with mine, but I'm a crap tenor who's middle name is Sibilance, so now I need a great pre to go with it. Gonna have to nail that purchase tho, us old guys can't be wasting time and bucks on a gear hunt, so any suggestions on a pre that works well with this mic on a crap tenor would be welcome.
Old 14th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airlock View Post
$449 now, not such a great deal anymore. Interesting that the catalog that came shipped with the mic shows the price as $399, but they've taken it off the website last I looked.

I'm really happy with mine, but I'm a crap tenor who's middle name is Sibilance, so now I need a great pre to go with it. Gonna have to nail that purchase tho, us old guys can't be wasting time and bucks on a gear hunt, so any suggestions on a pre that works well with this mic on a crap tenor would be welcome.
Well here's even a better deal Heads up on a good mic deal!MXL Marshall Revelation Multi-Pattern Tube Condenser Microphone 801813139006 | eBay
Old 20th November 2017
Sale is back

The current PSSL Black Friday sale has the MXL Genesis, Revelation, Revelation Solo as well as the Aria and 604 for cheap.
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Couldn't be happier with mine.
Old 21st November 2017
Quote:
Couldn't be happier with mine.
The Revelation? +1

I don't know if my old ears would have heard a difference so I just left the stock tube in there, but I did put a couple hundred hours of burn-in time on it.
Old 20th February 2018
Here for the gear
The MXL Revelation is officially discontinued

The MXL Revelation is discontinued. I spoke with Kris Garcia at MXL today. PSSL is blowing them out at 299 for the solo and 399 for the dual diaphragm. If you want a new one, you'd better buy soon. There's nothing planned to replace it.
Old 6th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioPastor View Post
The MXL Revelation is discontinued. I spoke with Kris Garcia at MXL today. PSSL is blowing them out at 299 for the solo and 399 for the dual diaphragm. If you want a new one, you'd better buy soon. There's nothing planned to replace it.
Yeah, PSSL has them on both eBay and Reverb now.

For $400 it's a no-brainer. I'm curious though how PSSL is able to drop that low while everyone else is holding firm at $1300-$1400.
Old 7th July 2018
Lives for gear

I have a pair of the Revelation multi pattern and three of the Revelation Solo cardioid only models, obviously I like the mic.

I bought the first Revelation on sale for $400, then the sale ended.

Then they went back on sale and I bought a second one for $400, both mic's sound fantastic, way above the $400 price point.

So then I bought a pair of Solo Revelation (because I liked the multi models so much) and tried them on drum toms, OMG, they're amazing so I bought a third Revelation Solo so all my toms are mic'd with them, the drum toms sound massive and I'm using one of the multi pattern models on the kick drum.

Why the low price? The mic is discontinued on MXL web site, it's hard to find data about this model, it's almost like it never existed. I suspect MXL made a deal with PSSL, possibly on a container load, hard to say but I think they bought a bunch and are dumping them now at these prices.

A lot of people have bad impressions of MXL from their low priced models. The Revelation uses a unique heavy brass construction, a fairly large internal transformer for output and the same tube as a U67.

This mic has become a favorite of mine for male vocals, especially my vocals. It has massive proximity effect (if you want to use it), crystal clear sound with no harsh essing or weirdness in the highs and it sounds great on acoustic guitar, my Martin D-35 never sounded better.

The multi pattern model has continuously variable pattern selection too, I like it set right around 2-o'clock for vocals.

Ground lift and phase flip on the power supply are nice additional features.

What makes you sound best is what IS best so get what works for you but for a great sounding budget mic these Revelation models are pretty kick azz in my opinion.

Good music to all!
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Goodness, I would love to hear some samples.
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Nut
That pair of solos is calling my name... This is killing me... I just bought a Slate ML1. Might have to get a pair of Solos and a standard Revelation instead... Hmmm...

Brandon
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Nut
I just ordered a Revelation and a pair of Solos. My wife is going to kill me...

I've got to stay off of this website...

Brandon
Old 7th July 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
The multi pattern model has continuously variable pattern selection too, I like it set right around 2-o'clock for vocals.
Interesting. On male vocals, I've enjoyed putting them right up on the mic then dialing it towards omni (like, 9-10 o'clock).

Will re-explore the cardiod settings though.
Old 8th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting. On male vocals, I've enjoyed putting them right up on the mic then dialing it towards omni (like, 9-10 o'clock).

Will re-explore the cardiod settings though.
I think the fact that we choose to use the mic in different ways attests to the strength and usability of it in general.

It's made to be used in different ways which compliment the acoustic space it's in.

There is less proximity effect as you move toward omni, I like that sound for cymbals and room mic's.

My third Revelation Solo has a lower serial number than either of my other two which I bought three months earlier. This sort-of suggests there was a big pile of these sitting somewhere, hence the ultra sale prices.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who appreciates the sound these produce.

Good music to all!
Old 10th July 2018
Gear Nut
Mine came in today. Can't wait to try these!!!! I'm hoping I don't regret not getting a pair of the multi patterns.

Brandon
Attached Thumbnails
Heads up on a good mic deal!-20180710_094012.jpg  
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Disappearing from most retailers.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Nut
Yep. Glad I grabbed a few. Great mics!

Brandon
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
These are back on sale again, if anyone is interested. I absolutely love these mics. They sound phenomenal. I've got another pair on their way to me. I'll now have a pair of solos and a pair of regulars.

Brandon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I got a pair of the variable patterns in last week, used them tracking drum overheads on Saturday;

Vocal session is up next.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Nice! Which pattern did you go with? Any sound samples you can share?

Brandon
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeveSSL1 View Post
Nice! Which pattern did you go with? Any sound samples you can share?

Brandon
Just a smidge above fig-8, the 414B/ULS in that kick tunnel is in fig-8 and there's a fig-8 ribbon just off the floor in front of that cello as well... don't know if the artist wants anything shared but I can ask tomorrow, probably won't mind if it's just drums.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
That would be great if they wouldn't mind. I'll see if my artist minds if I post up some of his vocals and acoustic. I've been running one of my Solos (a friend is borrowing my variable polar model) into an SCA API clone. It sounds really, really great. I'm loving it.

Brandon
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search