The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Struggle with UA 4-710d Mixers (Digital)
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Struggle with UA 4-710d

Hi guys,

Is anyone of you using a UA 4-710d and willing to give me some tips on how this thing can be used best ?
I'm in constant struggle of getting my levels working. Too little signal, cranking the gain easily distorts. Just can't seem to figure this thing out

I go from the 4710d to a Tascam DM4800 through ADAT, and have a lot of trouble getting my gain staging right.

I mainly record vocals and acoustic guitar for pop and folk music.

Thanks in advance,
Frans
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

That's an interesting one. I have a similar setup but don't use mine for vox - or any really important channels. I have tried some test vocal recordings with it (the 4-710) and it worked pretty well. The ua 4-710d has input gain and a separate output level knob so I think this is something you'll just need to play with a bit until you hit the sweet spot. You may just be driving the input too hard? Remember, in the digital world...."yellow is the new red".
Old 18th January 2017
Here for the gear

I've used this unit a lot in the past, but never with the digital output. Which MTR option do you have selected? Output, GR, or Drive? Is there a healthy level there, or is that low as well? Is the compressor off?

I would normally set the MTR to Drive with both input and output pots set to 5 and the compressor off, just to start. If you do that, where is the needle hitting on the VU meter?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search