The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Technica ATH-M50x, the most overhyped headphones?
Old 17th January 2017

I've tested these headphones https://www.gearslutz.com/board/audi...th-m50x-g3374/ for about a week now. So far it's been a disappointment. The sound is scooped, bass heavy and sibilant.

How come these headphones are so hyped, "praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers"?
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

They're not bad for the price. There is a peak at about 10kHz, a wide bass bump at about 100hz and a dip at about 350Hz. They have reasonable isolation, decent transient response and a fairly 'satisfying' sound. The build quality and comfort is fairly good. I've tried a lot of headphones at different budgets and they all have a compromise in one way or another. Even the super expensive ones aren't perfect.
Old 17th January 2017
I'm pretty happy with my pair of M50X's. Definitely among the better headphones in that price range. A lot of people use the beyerdynamic dt 770, but they didn't really work for me.
IME as long as you know your headphones/speakers/room, you should be able to judge somewhat accurately what you're hearing.
Old 17th January 2017
I don't think that they are hyped. I have always liked mine. They sound good and my mixes translate well.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

I don't like them much either, if that makes you feel better, and for the same reasons.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear
Yep, same impression for me, too.

I tried Shure SRH840s and find them brilliant, though - perfectly balanced IMO. Most reviews suggest they're on the warm side, but the others I tried had more of that overhyped bass that seems popular for some reason.

Chris
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

They are too weird for mixing, with the boom-boxy low end and presence peak, but they are great cans for rhythm players during tracking, as they emphasize the beat.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

I personally like those sounds you described, that's what I want out of my headphones and I've learned their frequency response so I know what "neutral" or a "good mix" sounds like through them.
Old 17th January 2017
I have used them for some years now, compared to Beyerdynamic DT770 which I have used and DT250 which I still use I find the M50x easier gets harsh and irritating, never really understood the complaints about the bass though. Maybe if I was an EDM guy I'd get it. Anyways, for listening to vinyl I'd pick Beyerdynamic any day, but for mixing perhaps the M50x make me want to EQ more stuff. If the mix sounds smooth in those, it is SMOOTH.
Old 17th January 2017
Quote:
Pure. Professional. Performance.

As the most critically acclaimed model in the M-Series line, the ATH-M50 is praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers year after year. Now, the ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones feature the same coveted sonic signature, with the added feature of detachable cables. From the large aperture drivers, sound isolating earcups and robust construction, the M50x provides an unmatched experience for the most critical audio professionals.

Also available in white (ATH-M50xWH) and limited edition dark green (ATH-M50xDG).

More About the M-Series Headphones
Critically acclaimed M-Series professional monitor headphones deliver accurate audio and outstanding comfort, perfect for long sessions in the studio and on the go. Contoured earcups seal tight for excellent sound isolation, with minimal bleed. And the pro-grade materials are durable, yet comfortable. Find out why online reviewers, top audio engineers, and cult followers agree, M-Series is an unmatched combination of audio and build-quality that gets the job done. Hour after hour, year after year.
That's the description here on GS. It's very obvious with their scooped sound and boosted bass these headphones are not accurate, pure nor professional. Who are those top audio engineers who praise these?

It's dissappointing to say 35$ Sennheiser MX 475 earbuds sound more accurate and professional to me than the ATH-M50.

If anyone has suggestions for headphones in similar price range for mixing that have no extreme boosts or dips and are comfortable, please post them here. Thanks!
Old 17th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef_K View Post
I have used them for some years now, compared to Beyerdynamic DT770 which I have used and DT250 which I still use I find the M50x easier gets harsh and irritating, never really understood the complaints about the bass though. Maybe if I was an EDM guy I'd get it. Anyways, for listening to vinyl I'd pick Beyerdynamic any day, but for mixing perhaps the M50x make me want to EQ more stuff. If the mix sounds smooth in those, it is SMOOTH.
I agree about the ATH-M50 harshness. Makes cymbals and distorted guitars sound quite ugly. It's almost like there is some kind of distortion element in ATH-M50. I find the ATH-M50 pretty much bury the mid range under its overhelming bass. Been listening all kinds of released music and this seems to be the case with everything but some rare bass shy records.
Old 17th January 2017
I think that was an oversimplification of the hype of those headphones. If you look back on the original adverts for them, you'll see that many of the top engineers were using and hyping them for tracking, not mixing. The slight scoop and excellent isolation make them ideal for musicians that need to hear themselves.

Having said that, I mixed on ATH-M40fs headphones for 7 years and when they broke, switched to M50s. I thought they were decent when paired with a good set of loudspeakers, though not quite as flat and they broke after just one year.

I moved in to the 770 and 880 years ago, happily.
Old 17th January 2017
Lives for gear

If I were a DJ the 50s would be my 'phones of choice.

I'm not so I stick with Beyer 770s.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

There are two plug-ins that you can use in your DAW's main mix channel that equalize many headphone models in order to give them more of a flat frequency response.

Both can be tried for free in demo mode.

One is from Morphit TB Morphit
It actually has a second function: simulating the impression of a particular model of headphones that you do not have on the headphones you do have.

The other option is Digital Speaker Calibration Software | Sonaworks
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

They are awful. Never understood the GS hype. I give them to the talent for overdubs. For me, GRADOs and nothing else ever.
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhhie View Post
I've tested these headphones https://www.gearslutz.com/board/audi...th-m50x-g3374/ for about a week now. So far it's been a disappointment. The sound is scooped, bass heavy and sibilant.

How come these headphones are so hyped, "praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers"?
That's how they sound to me. You might like the Sony 7520's. They are the best mixing headphones that I have used.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

The ATH-M50's are the headphone equivalent of the KRK Rokit monitors.
Old 18th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue monk View Post
There are two plug-ins that you can use in your DAW's main mix channel that equalize many headphone models in order to give them more of a flat frequency response.

Both can be tried for free in demo mode.

One is from Morphit TB Morphit
It actually has a second function: simulating the impression of a particular model of headphones that you do not have on the headphones you do have.

The other option is Digital Speaker Calibration Software | Sonaworks
Just remember that for headphones to sound correct their frequency response must be non-flat.
Reason being that with headphones the eq function of our pinnae is partially or completely circumvented and thus must be designed into the 'phones FR.
Generally our outer ears provide anything from 10 to 15dB of boost somewhere between 1.5 and 7kHz. How much and exactly where depends on the shape of your pinnae.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auricl...tomy)#Function
Old 19th January 2017
Wondering the same here. Glad i'm not the only one.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Guru

I kind of like them, maybe a bit too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Technica ATH-M50x, the most overhyped headphones?-sam_0324.jpg  
Old 19th January 2017

NO. They are incredible.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I like 'em for the price I paid a few years ago. They've doubled in price (at least in Canada) since then though, which makes them a bit pricey if you ask me.
Old 19th January 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
They are too weird for mixing, with the boom-boxy low end and presence peak, but they are great cans for rhythm players during tracking, as they emphasize the beat.
That summarizes my experience with them as well. I dipped into a retailer one day when I needed cans. I came out with those because they were one of the better options in stock. I find them very loud and bassy, although they have good isolation. They're good for recording drums, but I favor other cans for pretty much everything else. When it came time to buy more cans, I went with other ones. That said, some people love 'em for everyday use.
Old 19th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_gant View Post
They are awful. Never understood the GS hype. I give them to the talent for overdubs. For me, GRADOs and nothing else ever.
What Grado model please?
Old 19th January 2017
Lives for gear

I think the ATH-M50's are great...for tracking and checking low end and harshness. The freq response is something like 15hz - 28Khz so yeah they are "hyped" to a certain extent. This is not a negative though. If the bass is boomy on these and your top end is harsh...then back it off!

I wouldn't mix with them (or any cans for that matter) but they do tell you what's really going on in those areas. They are simply fantastic for tracking and give a sense of excitement to artists. Not only that but they are comfortable in long sessions. The Shure line is pretty good but I didn't get along with any of the DT's at all.
Old 19th January 2017
Deleted 1846071
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhhie View Post

They are mostly hyped in hi-fi and consumer listening circles. Look how many reviews are on Amazon. How many reviews on Head-Fi. And only a handful of reviews here.

The hype is not coming from GS. People like the scooped sound. When was the last time you heard 400 hz in a kick drum on the radio?
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Guru
I love mine and use iGrados as mobile phones. The 50's really translate well to speakers. Maybe I'm just used to them......Have you guys tried Sonarworks with them? BTW they are great tracking phones......
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Guru

Headphones are an exercise in compromise. Pick your poison. I like my pair for what they get used for. Trust a mix to them? No, but then mixing on cans is not for me anyway, regardless.
Old 19th January 2017
Gear Guru

No headphones ever really sound natural, they just can't because the air around you is not moving like it is when listening to speakers. It not a natural way to hear sound, so there are always going to be limitations compared to speakers, especially in lower frequencies.

That said, I have had a lot of headphones over the years including some pretty high end ones. I even had some fantastic electrostatic AT's back in the 80's, but as beautiful as they sounded, they were quite bass shy.

Of all the phones I've owned, the ATM50 comes closest to giving me the feeling of actually listening to speakers as I listen. The bass is definitely over-hyped and they are anything but flat, but they just work for me.

I'm not talking about for mixing, which I thought they were horrible for. I had better luck with the old ATM40's for that. I'm talking about for general listening when I am just not able to listen to my speakers.

And I love them for listening to movies while watching on my computer. I have put a lot of hours on these headphones.
Old 20th January 2017
Gear Guru

Yeup, they are great. Not for mixing, but for anything else. Drummers and casual listening especially. I chose them over the DT770 as well. I will still use my AKG K702 for critical listening.
📝 Reply