The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Binson Echorec
Old 16th January 2017
New Binson Echorec

Just saw this on T Rex facebook page....

https://m.facebook.com/trexeffects/p...pe=3&source=48
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Wow! It's always better to have more of these on the planet than less. Hopefully they stack up to the originals...

Last edited by Teej; 17th January 2017 at 11:12 AM..
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

echorec

looks like they're serious about this.

On Thursday, March 26, 2015, an european community trademark registration was filed for Binson Echorec by T-rex Engineering ApS Hjulmagervej 17E, Vejle DK 7100. The OHIM has given the trademark application number of 013883236. The current status of this trademark filing is Registered. The Binson Echorec trademark is filed in the category of Musical Instrument Products , Computer & Software Products & Electrical & Scientific Products .
Old 16th January 2017
If it's in the price point of their tape delay I might have scoop one up!
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Can't wait to see this!
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

well nice brand name was picked,
but this is not by any stretch a real echorec.
surely it will be a great tape delay!
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Hmm very interesting because doesn't Catalinbread own the US trademark for Echorec???
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opamp View Post
well nice brand name was picked,
but this is not by any stretch a real echorec.
surely it will be a great tape delay!
Where are you reading that it's a tape delay?
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

my bad l might have got it all wrong,
from their site they are advertising a new
tape delay and l thought they just rebranded it... They might actually
have a brand new machine.
Guess it's a matter of hours.
Sorry again for misinformation.
Old 17th January 2017
Trex already makes a tape delay, so I'm assuming they are going to use some of that r and d to build this thing.
Old 17th January 2017
Gear Head

well binson was from Milan,
a couple of years ago a friend of mine contacted one of the old engineers at the now ex binson and found out that he bought all the old stock and that he was producing some custom machines
with upgrades signal path, motor and bearings... l think it was in the 2000€+
price bracket...what a beauty!!!
Old 18th January 2017
Lives for gear

Binsons are probably the main thing that I collect. I currently have about 11 machines - they are fascinating boxes, to be sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inasilentway View Post
Hmm very interesting because doesn't Catalinbread own the US trademark for Echorec???
This is absolutely the way I remember it going down just a few years ago. I even have some of the remake EchoRec stickers that Catlinbread sent out during that time. I can't imagine that they'd just let go of a very prominent name like that. T-Rex is made in Denmark, if I'm not mistaken... and they may not have thought this through, legally, if they're going to try and sell an Echorec in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opamp View Post
my bad l might have got it all wrong,
from their site they are advertising a new
tape delay and l thought they just rebranded it... They might actually
have a brand new machine.
Guess it's a matter of hours.
Sorry again for misinformation.
Hmm. Well, not really. There isn't much R&D that could be swapped over from T-Rex's "Replicator" tape delay. The Binson Echorec was an entirely encapsulated mechanism that went through several generations (both tube and solid state) which sounded very different from each other. Honestly (and I say this a collector AND a player), there isn't much that can possibly be improved on from the Catalinbread offering. These older machines are temperamental, unreliable, boxes of catastrophes-waiting-to-happen, and once Guild started putting their name on them, things got even more wonky. If T-Rex is actually making a real hardware analog magnetic drum delay, then it better have a whole lot of extra bells and whistles that would make it stand above what Catalinbread has done. (as a side note: Catalinbread even went so far as to ensure that electric input had the correct amount of resistance in the preamp's sound - which is why you cannot use a battery with the pedal - and that's just a tiny detail that they carefully researched.)

*** I'm not a shill for Catalinbread, by the way, I'm just a longtime collector of Echorecs and happen to be impressed by CBread's diligence in making that pedal.
Old 18th January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
Binsons are probably the main thing that I collect. I currently have about 11 machines - they are fascinating boxes, to be sure!

This is absolutely the way I remember it going down just a few years ago. I even have some of the remake EchoRec stickers that Catlinbread sent out during that time. I can't imagine that they'd just let go of a very prominent name like that. T-Rex is made in Denmark, if I'm not mistaken... and they may not have thought this through, legally, if they're going to try and sell an Echorec in the states.

Hmm. Well, not really. There isn't much R&D that could be swapped over from T-Rex's "Replicator" tape delay. The Binson Echorec was an entirely encapsulated mechanism that went through several generations (both tube and solid state) which sounded very different from each other. Honestly (and I say this a collector AND a player), there isn't much that can possibly be improved on from the Catalinbread offering. These older machines are temperamental, unreliable, boxes of catastrophes-waiting-to-happen, and once Guild started putting their name on them, things got even more wonky. If T-Rex is actually making a real hardware analog magnetic drum delay, then it better have a whole lot of extra bells and whistles that would make it stand above what Catalinbread has done. (as a side note: Catalinbread even went so far as to ensure that electric input had the correct amount of resistance in the preamp's sound - which is why you cannot use a battery with the pedal - and that's just a tiny detail that they carefully researched.)

*** I'm not a shill for Catalinbread, by the way, I'm just a longtime collector of Echorecs and happen to be impressed by CBread's diligence in making that pedal.
Those are some great points. I'll definitely have to give the Catalinbread a good listen.
Old 18th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
there isn't much that can possibly be improved on from the Catalinbread offering.
The Dawner Prince - Boonar pedal.
Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

hey, i thought i quote you in case you wanted to se an overview of the new units. it appears the guys at t-rex bought the name. it looks impressive overall.

Old 21st January 2017
Lives for gear

they can call it whatever they want - how does it sound?
Old 21st January 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
they can call it whatever they want - how does it sound?
My money's on great.
Old 22nd January 2017
Is it tube-based?
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

This and the Replicator Eurorack look great. Really excited about these. Can't wait to hear the Binson Echorec.
Old 22nd January 2017
Does the Binson has balanced XLR IO ?
Old 22nd January 2017
Lives for gear

Wow! and Yes!
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Some tidbits I gleaned from the T-Rex booth, as best as I can remember (I did not take notes):

- They do own rights to the Binson EchoRec name. Whether they only own the European rights, or share them with Catalinbread, I do not know.

- Their unit has five playback heads, one erase head, and one record head.

- It is mono.

- There are no tubes in the electronics.

- The drum is wound with very thin wire that they had to have custom manufactured. A spool of the wire is visible in the photos of the prototype unit under glass. This wire is the recording medium. Described to me as not very similar to WW2-era "wire recorders", since it's not a single strand of wire passing under the heads, but rather wound around and around the drum to create a wider surface area than a single strand.

- The user will not need to re-wind fresh wire around the drum, the wire was only shown for illustrative purposes. Whether or not replacement wire or drum re-wrapping will be available or needed, was not disclosed to me.

- The heads on the EchoRec, as well as the heads on the Replicator, are custom made for them. No suitable (any?) mono heads are available off the shelf.

- The little black block between the erase head and the record head contains a magnet, which is needed in addition to the erase head for complete erasure of previous signals, as well as a foam sponge, saturated with a special oil, which lubricates the surface of the drum constantly.

- The heads "touch" the drum, separated only by a thin layer of oil, upon which the heads "float". The oil is critical.

- There is a little hole in the black block that holds the foam sponge, this hole is where you apply oil to keep the sponge fully saturated so it can lubricate the drum.

- At some point there may be a stereo Replicator, but no word of a stereo EchoRec.

- The EchoRec was not making sound, it was only spinning.

- The EchoRec had a beautiful green wrinkle finish and looked like it was built like a tank.
Old 9th February 2017
Lives for gear

so any update on this?
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Maniac

bump...
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I'm still waiting. . . .
Old 25th October 2017
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear

Old 27th October 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclouser View Post
Some tidbits I gleaned from the T-Rex booth, as best as I can remember (I did not take notes):

- They do own rights to the Binson EchoRec name. Whether they only own the European rights, or share them with Catalinbread, I do not know.

- Their unit has five playback heads, one erase head, and one record head.

- It is mono.

- There are no tubes in the electronics.

- The drum is wound with very thin wire that they had to have custom manufactured. A spool of the wire is visible in the photos of the prototype unit under glass. This wire is the recording medium. Described to me as not very similar to WW2-era "wire recorders", since it's not a single strand of wire passing under the heads, but rather wound around and around the drum to create a wider surface area than a single strand.

- The user will not need to re-wind fresh wire around the drum, the wire was only shown for illustrative purposes. Whether or not replacement wire or drum re-wrapping will be available or needed, was not disclosed to me.

- The heads on the EchoRec, as well as the heads on the Replicator, are custom made for them. No suitable (any?) mono heads are available off the shelf.

- The little black block between the erase head and the record head contains a magnet, which is needed in addition to the erase head for complete erasure of previous signals, as well as a foam sponge, saturated with a special oil, which lubricates the surface of the drum constantly.

- The heads "touch" the drum, separated only by a thin layer of oil, upon which the heads "float". The oil is critical.

- There is a little hole in the black block that holds the foam sponge, this hole is where you apply oil to keep the sponge fully saturated so it can lubricate the drum.

- At some point there may be a stereo Replicator, but no word of a stereo EchoRec.

- The EchoRec was not making sound, it was only spinning.

- The EchoRec had a beautiful green wrinkle finish and looked like it was built like a tank.
Any indication of price?
Old 27th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I emailed T-Rex questions about it, but they are too Hollywood to email me back...

I'll still probably buy 2 of these though.
Old 3rd November 2017
Quote:
I have a P.E. 603, a Catalina and an Echosex. The Echosex is sonically superior to the Catalina by a long stretch, not that the originals sound so bass heavy.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search