The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best mic pre for tracking drums!?
Old 21st December 2011
Here for the gear

Great!

Thanks for the input. At least I know where to start. Again, to save on cost, it looks like I'm going to give the Seventh Circle pre a try. But they have 7 different ones! Does anyone have a combination or grouping of these? I guess I'm leaning towards the SS A12 (API) and the SS N72 (Neve). Does anyone know how these are for the overheads, or am I looking to out source on these? I.E. Daking, Neve, etc?

I guess the answer is to experiment and see what I like. Just curious about any pertinent issues.

I'm mainly a rock player.

Thanks again
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmusic View Post
Whats the best mic pre for tracking drums, I was considering using the Focusrite ISA 428? suggestions?
[SNARKY] Gearslutz.com - Search Forums [/SNARKY]
Old 21st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhetro View Post
Getting the gist of it.

Definitely interested in the API clone kits. It sounds fun; not to mention saving some cash for 8 channels.

Now:

Seventh Circle? Black Lion? I think there's a third? I'm guessing they're pretty similar? Anyone get to A/B the DYI kits?

The other API clone kit of note is from Classic Audio Products of Illinois They have three or four iterations of this classic preamp. They also have several different discrete op amps you can build. They are all 500 series based, though, so that is a non-starter for some folks.

Or if you are REALLY adventurous, the API 312 schematic is posted online various places if you dig for it---you could build your own clone from scratch. I have not tried that, I do not feel up to the task at this point, I have way too many other projects pending! But the parts count on this thing is not especially high, FWIW. I have not gotten into burning/ etching boards for myself. But you could probably build it on perf board if you were so inclined. Perf board would get really tedious if you wanted to make more than one or two though.

The transformers and the op amp are going to be the big dollar stuff when trying to build a clone 312. Expect to pay around $100 or more for the input and output transformers and around $50 ~ $75 for a discrete opamp that is already built for you.

One of the nice things if you buy a kit is you'll get some building support from the folks you buy from. I have read posts from the 7th Circle fellow on here, I don't know his name off the top of my head though, but he seemed responsive. The Classic API guy has been involved in threads various places online, as has the Five Fish guy. They all seem like they'd be responsive to their clients from what I can tell.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Using Daking IV Pre over here on kick(beta52 usually), snare top(beta57) and overheads(akg c214). Punch for days!!! Bottom snare is Burl B1(i5), Room mics are Vintech 1272(CAD M179), rack toms are modded pre73's(also CAD M179), floor tom is ISA220(Heil PR30 usually, but sometimes CAD m179).

People love my drum sound, but it starts with the balance of Kick, snare and overheads. Ever since I picked up the Daking, more and more sources have been going through the Dakings. Excellent preamp with tons of punch clarity and presence.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search