The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Multiple mics on one amp: Tips on avoiding phase cancellation...
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Multiple mics on one amp: Tips on avoiding phase cancellation...

I've been experimenting around with different mic setups on a couple guitar cabs these last few days and am having issues with phase cancellation. I'm getting pretty close to what I want by micing two cabs with one mic each, but the second I try adding a 2nd mic to a cab I get that boxy phasey sound that makes me want to hurl.
Here's what I've tried so far:
-a 421 and a 57 up close on one of those dual mic attachments that fit on one stand. I tried different positions moving one of the mics and no luck
-a 421 up close (bout 2 inches from cone and slightly off center) and an AEA R84 about 18 inches back. I had my girlfriend move the R84 across the cab in one inch increments and no luck
-I've tried the polarity reverse on the preamps with no luck

I've had no probs with clean and light gain tones, but with the higher gain tone I'm going for now, I'm getting the phase issues. (...and no, I don't have the amp gain cranked. I'm actually using just enough preamp distortion to get the tone I want. It's an Engl E570 so it doesn't take much.
Any tips on multiple micing an amp would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

A 421 and a 57 up close should line up pretty easily. If you start with the grill of both mics at the same distance from the speaker they should be close. By moving one of the mics (not more than 0.5 to 1 inch) you should have them perfectly lined up.

Putting another mic 18 inches back sounds like you're begging for phase issues. Try 5 feet from the amp or something like that for the room.

Try searching gearslutz for Michael Wagener's phase alignment procedure. It's described here somewhere.

Also have a look at the royerlabs website under "session photos". There's quite a lot of amp micing pictured there.

BTW, are you sure your entire signal chain is in phase ?
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

In my experience, the more mics you throw at a cab the less natural the sound!
That might be a cool thing, but if you're looking for the natural tone of the amp/cab try to use only one mic. There are always phase issues (even with alignment and the LittleLabs IBP) that can be cool or not, but IMO it's making things worse mostly.

And by the way, there are many people who are fooled by the raised volume of two mics vs one!
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
In my experience, the more mics you throw at a cab the less natural the sound!
That might be a cool thing, but if you're looking for the natural tone of the amp/cab try to use only one mic. There are always phase issues (even with alignment and the LittleLabs IBP) that can be cool or not, but IMO it's making things worse mostly.

And by the way, there are many people who are fooled by the raised volume of two mics vs one!
true ....less is oft times more..with DAW hard drive based recorders you can physically see and manipulate time/phase issues so it i easier to correct..but why create the issue in the first place?
Old 7th March 2007
Lives for gear

•Like TheSweetener touched on, I suggest doing a search here for the Little Lab IBP unit.

•Try the 3:1 thing people have been doing for decades.

•Have the guitarist play and get your placement on your "main" mic perfect. Mute your monitors. Reamp whitenoise and/or a tone into the amp. Have your second move the 2nd mic around until you see the most prefect phase possible on a phase scope. When it's most perfect, mute the sound to the amp so the 2nd knows to tighten the mic stand so the mic stays at that perfect position. This technique is wrong on many different levels.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search