The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JZ microphones Vintage 67
Old 29th December 2016
Lives for gear

JZ microphones Vintage 67

looking for a "darker" vocal mic. i use for vocals michael joly hulk - very good, rode nt2a - mostly to bright and golden age R1 - darker but not optimal vocal mic.
i read lots of good reviews about the jz vintage 67 and the few soundsamples i heard seem promising.
budget is round 1000€. i am looking for feedback from users on the jz 67. as a cheaper alternative i am thinking about the audio technica 4040.
i mainly record myself and have a rather thin and bright voice. soundsamples in my sig.
i would use the mic for acoustic guitar or drum mono oberhead as well. thanks.
Old 29th December 2016
Gear Head

I use it as my main and the only mic. On pair with the Neve 1290-clone preamp it does sound really dark, warm and vintage. I think it is a perfect match. My Taylor GS mini sounds warm and round with it too. Can send you later a very rough demo recorded with it (voc + ac.gt).
Old 5th February 2017
Lives for gear

anyone else with feedback on the jz v67?
Old 6th February 2017
Don't quote me but I've tested the JZ67 and it is a nice mic but not what I'd consider a dark mic, very balanced and somewhat modern. It's related to the Violet Design Globe Standard and Amethyst Vintage because of the capsule design which are both great cardiod all purpose mics. I believe we're getting into the Violet Design/JZ capsule discussion that I don't know the details about.

There is a Globe Standard on Ebay for $700 that uses a similar capsule the VD67. That's a steal for that mic. In that price range, there are a lot of choices and we're shopping in that range also. If you can swing it, our favorites in this price range "used" are the Lauten Atlantis and Blue Rocket Stage 1 mic locker (4 of their best capsules).
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Not sure how much this helps but my late production partner tested a couple of JZ mics in his studio and sent me files to choose from. If I recall correctly he had both the JZ11 and the JZ67. I liked them both for vocals but my partner preferred slightly brighter & airier mics for the female artist we were producing. This was 2-3 years ago so my memory is a little hazy regarding the JZ67 specifically but I do remember being impressed with it and how it focused on the vocal and pushed everything else to the background. I think the JZ line doesn't get enough praise on the forums tbh but I think that's because they don't look like the "classic" mics.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Good stuff.
Violet Design, too.

Quote:
I think the JZ line doesn't get enough praise on the forums tbh but I think that's because they don't look like the "classic" mics.
I agree.
But to be consistent with the alternative looks and daring approach, they should lose the 67 number, as well IMO.
It has nothing to do with a U67 anyway.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I think the JZ line doesn't get enough praise on the forums tbh but I think that's because they don't look like the "classic" mics.
def true. i only read positive reviews and also in the youtube shootouts (for what they are woth) the jz microphone v67 does sound good.

but it's always a gamble with these kind of mics that are not much requested, if you buy 'em and you don't like 'em you loose money when reselling 'em. if you are able to resell 'em at all! not always you can find a seller willing to let you test or send the mic back.

the lauten audio mics do also interest me. never ever seen or heard a violet design for real ... aaah there's so much choice in the ≈1000 Euro range.
Old 6th February 2017
Here for the gear
I love my JZ67 , for vocals is my main microphone and I have a few standards in the booth.I would not say it is dark at all,bit slow at transients,can handle a LOT of SPL
It is the first choice for a few main artist I work with since they tried,and they do modern fast transients (Reggae/HIP-HOP/Dancehall...)...You will love it I am sure...A multi pattern model would have make it much more expensive.....For a 67 Cardioid sound with a very low noise/signal ratio and a beautiful price this is the GO GO
I have an AT4040,is other thing,nice sound but not 67 Character and response of course...You should not be looking at them with the same eyes,they are very different.
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post

I agree.
But to be consistent with the alternative looks and daring approach, they should lose the 67 number, as well IMO.
It has nothing to do with a U67 anyway.

You know it's funny you should say that since that is the first thought I had when I heard the files. The character was more reminiscent of the 47 flavor..although full disclosure I have never used a vintage 47. Only several clones. Which flavor of the "Big Five" is this mike referencing? Great sounding mic in any event...
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The character was more reminiscent of the 47 flavor..although full disclosure I have never used a vintage 47. Only several clones. Which flavor of the "Big Five" is this mike referencing? Great sounding mic in any event...
i am slightly confused now ... 67, 47, bright, dark, not dark ...
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
i am slightly confused now ... 67, 47, bright, not dark ...

Both JZ's were considered "dark" by my production partner. He liked more airy LDC's for females e.g. in the vein of the C12 / 251. I liked both JZ's and thought they sounded closer to what I think a vintage 47 might sound like. Hope that makes sense. Perhaps Legato can clarify what lineage they are based on...
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Don't quote me but I've tested the JZ67 and it is a nice mic but not what I'd consider a dark mic, very balanced and somewhat modern. It's related to the Violet Design Globe Standard and Amethyst Vintage because of the capsule design which are both great cardiod all purpose mics. I believe we're getting into the Violet Design/JZ capsule discussion that I don't know the details about.
I'll quote you with some additional info on JZ capsules. In reality there are only a few basic capsule models designed by Juris Zarins (JZ). They are numbered JZ001, JZ002, JZ003 and so on. These designs have a unique backplate that can be tuned by screwing them in and out, and allowing more or less alignment of the holes. So, while there are only a few basic capsule models, Violet, JZ (and in the past Blue) would give them different names depending on the chosen tuning.

For anyone who is interested I have taken a few pictures of the most common JZ capsule designs, called VD67 and VD26 in Violet speak. The VD67 is the same that is used in the JZ67. The working principle is the same to that of the capsule used in the Neumann U67: a double capsule (back to back) with a passive (non-terminated) membrane in the back capsule. This gives lower off-axis coloration and a wider pickup pattern, while at the same time more attenuation of the back. The VD67 version you see is the older model, without the microdot pattern. It has a beautiful warm tone with no sibilance, yet is brighter than a classical U67.

The VD26 (JZ002) capsule shows the microdot gold sputtering that are in JZ's current capsule line, but be aware that there are also older JZ002 versions without the microdots. Both sound fine, but the microdots help avoiding membrane resonance frequency waves and because they are slightly lighter they have better high frequency transient response than the classic sputtering. This capsule has a more narrow pickup with a tiny tail on the back. It sounds modern bright and airy. Combine it with an output transformer (as in the Emerald LE) and you have some thicker, warmer lows. Great on acoustic guitar.

If I have the choice between JZ and Violet I prefer the Violet mics with the same capsules, because their square headbaskets give fewer resonances and their electronics are a step up, with lowest noise figures. So, generally I prefer the sound quality of the Violets (and I like their "artisan" looks). They're a little more expensive than JZ, but worth it IMO. Both Violet and JZ mics come from the same factory, but have different sales channels and ownership constructions.
Attached Thumbnails
JZ microphones Vintage 67-amethystv_vd67_emeraldle_vd26_front.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-amethystv_vd67_emeraldle_vd26_back.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-jz002_vd26_back.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-jz002_vd26_microdots.jpg  
Old 7th February 2017
Had a Violet Design VD47 stiletto capsule for a short while. Thomann carries them and they're really thin as opposed to the earlier models that looked like the Blue capsule headbaskets. Used it on Stage 1/2 Rockets and it was a bit "wooly" and I returned it. Having used the Emerald and Globe from Violet Design (both great mics), I keep looking at their VD67capsule which is no doubt related to the JZ as described above. Anyone used this capsule as a standalone on a Blue Bottle or Rockets?
Old 7th February 2017
I bought a cheap JZ47 on eBay for fun after the results of a shootout on here and the fact everyone named it as the real vintage U47. It's nice, it sounds not unlike a Flea 47 without some depth and takes tons of hi eq very well.
Recently a friend brought me all his Violet microphones over. I explained I have a great mic collection and he needn't bother. I'm glad he did. The Violet stuff is great, like the JZ47 without the noise and more solidity and clarity. In short really, great sounding, well made microphones. I won't be such a snob in future, in fact I will probably pick some up soon as they sound much better than nearly all the other modern mics I've heard including the big names.....
Old 7th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I'll quote you with some additional info on JZ capsules. In reality there are only a few basic capsule models designed by Juris Zarins (JZ). They are numbered JZ001, JZ002, JZ003 and so on. These designs have a unique backplate that can be tuned by screwing them in and out, and allowing more or less alignment of the holes. So, while there are only a few basic capsule models, Violet, JZ (and in the past Blue) would give them different names depending on the chosen tuning.

For anyone who is interested I have taken a few pictures of the most common JZ capsule designs, called VD67 and VD26 in Violet speak. The VD67 is the same that is used in the JZ67. The working principle is the same to that of the capsule used in the Neumann U67: a double capsule (back to back) with a passive (non-terminated) membrane in the back capsule. This gives lower off-axis coloration and a wider pickup pattern, while at the same time more attenuation of the back. The VD67 version you see is the older model, without the microdot pattern. It has a beautiful warm tone with no sibilance, yet is brighter than a classical U67.

The VD26 (JZ002) capsule shows the microdot gold sputtering that are in JZ's current capsule line, but be aware that there are also older JZ002 versions without the microdots. Both sound fine, but the microdots help avoiding membrane resonance frequency waves and because they are slightly lighter they have better high frequency transient response than the classic sputtering. This capsule has a more narrow pickup with a tiny tail on the back. It sounds modern bright and airy. Combine it with an output transformer (as in the Emerald LE) and you have some thicker, warmer lows. Great on acoustic guitar.

If I have the choice between JZ and Violet I prefer the Violet mics with the same capsules, because their square headbaskets give fewer resonances and their electronics are a step up, with lowest noise figures. So, generally I prefer the sound quality of the Violets (and I like their "artisan" looks). They're a little more expensive than JZ, but worth it IMO. Both Violet and JZ mics come from the same factory, but have different sales channels and ownership constructions.
Thanks for these details. They almost look like Swiss watch movements. Great stuff!
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

thanks A LOT! great great info. violet mic is on top of my list now. which blue mic would be the v67 capsule?
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I bought a cheap JZ47 on eBay for fun after the results of a shootout on here and the fact everyone named it as the real vintage U47. It's nice, it sounds not unlike a Flea 47 without some depth and takes tons of hi eq very well.
Recently a friend brought me all his Violet microphones over. I explained I have a great mic collection and he needn't bother. I'm glad he did. The Violet stuff is great, like the JZ47 without the noise and more solidity and clarity. In short really, great sounding, well made microphones. I won't be such a snob in future, in fact I will probably pick some up soon as they sound much better than nearly all the other modern mics I've heard including the big names.....

Which Violet had the closest u67 flavor to your ears? And which was the u47 sound with more "solidity" and "clarity" as you mentioned? Or perhaps I should just ask which impressed you the most?
Old 7th February 2017
Quote:
Which Violet had the closest u67 flavor to your ears? And which was the u47 sound with more "solidity" and "clarity" as you mentioned?
The Amethyst Vintage and the Globe were the 2 that struck me in that way but even the Wedge's were remarkable in quality and character.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Amethyst Vintage and the Globe were the 2 that struck me in that way but even the Wedge's were remarkable in quality and character.
Thanks Paul. Cat's out of the bag now....

P.S. I was reading the product description on Violet's website for the Globe and there are two models, i.e. the "Standard" and the "Vintage" model. The standard uses the VD67 capsule mentioned by @Earcatcher above and the Vintage uses the "VD47" which gives a little indication of how they might sound.

Last edited by Funny Cat; 7th February 2017 at 04:50 PM..
Old 7th February 2017
Quote:
Thanks Paul. Cat's out of the bag now....P.S. I was reading the product description on Violet's website for the Globe and there are two models, i.e. the "Standard" and the "Vintage" model. The standard uses the VD67 capsule mentioned by @Earcatcher above and the Vintage uses the "VD47" which gives a little indication of how they might sound.

And the proof is in the pudding
Attached Thumbnails
JZ microphones Vintage 67-15726526_10154970899092868_6419722393313912562_n.jpg  
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks A LOT! great great info. violet mic is on top of my list now. which blue mic would be the v67 capsule?
Originally the Blue B6 was the VD67 capsule, but this is no longer the case since the break with JZ. The design is currently still a double backplate back-to-back front terminated capsule in the vein of the classic U67-idea. This capsule has a little more sizzle than the VD67. Both are worthwhile sounding in their own right, although I find the VD67 more natural sounding, whereas the current B6 has a more "processed" sound, as we are used to from many pop songs.

Below pictures of an original B0, which had a JZ001 capsule in it. The front is similar to the JZ002 (see above, although note the absence of micro-dots), but the tuning plate on the back is different. What is in the current Blue B0 cap I don't know.

Then images of the current B6 capsule and of the current B7 capsule, a single backplate with two membranes, of which only one is terminated, like the original U47-idea. Finally pictures of the B8, which was introduced after the break with JZ and which had no JZ predecessor. It is a side-terminated front membrane, in the vein of the AKG C12 capsules.
Attached Thumbnails
JZ microphones Vintage 67-b0-original-_front.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b0-original-_back.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b6-current-_front.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b6-current-_back.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b7-current-_front.jpg  

JZ microphones Vintage 67-b7-current-_back.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b8_front.jpg   JZ microphones Vintage 67-b8_back.jpg  
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
P.S. I was reading the product description on Violet's website for the Globe and there are two models, i.e. the "Standard" and the "Vintage" model. The standard uses the VD67 capsule mentioned by @Earcatcher above and the Vintage uses the "VD47" which gives a little indication of how they might sound.
The Globe Standard sounds extremely close to the Amethyst Vintage, which is no wonder as they share the same capsule. Amethyst Vintage has a little bit more "air" than the Globe Standard.

The Globe Vintage does indeed resemble a classic U47-ish sound. Beautiful mids and can take tons of EQ. No discernable noise (like most solid state Violets), which helps a lot when you want to process the signal any further.
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Globe Standard sounds extremely close to the Amethyst Vintage, which is no wonder as they share the same capsule. Amethyst Vintage has a little bit more "air" than the Globe Standard.

The Globe Vintage does indeed resemble a classic U47-ish sound. Beautiful mids and can take tons of EQ. No discernable noise (like most solid state Violets), which helps a lot when you want to process the signal any further.
so much GREAT infos! thanks again. now i just need to find good deals on all of the mics! :-)
Old 7th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
so much GREAT infos! thanks again. now i just need to find good deals on all of the mics! :-)

Yes. Thanks to @Earcatcher and @Paul_G for the extremely informative posts. I'd never even considered adding any Violet or Blue mics to the locker...until today.
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

yes, i would almost elect it as "the most informative thread without bullsh*t talk" here on GS :-)
just one last question: after some research about the amethyst i read it more in the u87 ballpark, i already own the u87 like michael joly hulk 990 mic.
my last doubt is if the amethyst will have even smoother highs ...
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes, i would almost elect it as "the most informative thread without bullsh*t talk" here on GS :-)
I truly hate the general level of non-information on this board, so whenever I can I will try to make a difference. I think we are lucky in this case that many of the sheep have never heard of the Violet mics, or at least have never seen them in real life. This brings down the signal to noise level by a good margin.

Quote:
just one last question: after some research about the amethyst i read it more in the u87 ballpark, i already own the u87 like michael joly hulk 990 mic.
my last doubt is if the amethyst will have even smoother highs ...
If this helps: my ears cannot stand the harsh edge of most (real Neumann) U87ai's, but I love the smooth highs of the Amethyst Vintage, while it is still nicely textured in the mids. (The standard Amethyst is a bit sharper though, so you, or others that commented somewhere, may be confusing that one with the Vintage.)
Old 8th February 2017
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra View Post
Thank me later! They are on back order if you want to wait. An amethyst vintage at this price is a steal. It doesn't come with the shock mount but you can purchase it when you click on the catalog tab.

https://violetmicsus.myshopify.com/c...f-the-amethyst
"sale is open til feb 6th" ... is written there. but that's not the "real" violet site - you shure that's a trusted site? the real violet design shop site is a different one.

there's even some typos in the word "product" ("Porducts") ... and when sending them a email i get a email sending error
Old 8th February 2017
Lives for gear

Earcatcher wrote:
Quote:
I truly hate the general level of non-information on this board, so whenever I can I will try to make a difference.
LOL

He'll forgive me for laughing, as he knows I mean well.
Earcatcher really knows his stuff. Well, I guess you guys have found this out by now.
And he's a great guy to boot. Trust me on that one.
Old 8th February 2017
Finally great to hear the Violet mics get their due. Had to sell a few from my collection and could barely "give them away" last year. Luckily Earcatcher did a great trade with me and I ended up with my all time favorite vocal mic, the Emerald LE (VD26 capsule, transfomer and Amethyst headbasket). Have only heard the VD47 in a stand alone capsule but it's very warm sounding in that configuration.

Great information on capsules and an opinion I trust. The VD67 capsule is an "in-between" capsule not too dark or bright and as I mentioned to Earcatcher at the time there's some special hi-end magic going on. No affiliation but there's a Globe Standard on Ebay for $700 that is a steal, almost bought another myself and an Amethyst Vintage here in the classifieds.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search