The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JZ microphones Vintage 67 Condenser Microphones
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Jelena Ostapenko anyone?
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

OK, point being there are more good, strong and promising things coming from Latvia.
Old 10th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
OK, point being there are more good, strong and promising things coming from Latvia.

Oh ok. You lost me with that last post too, lol. But yeah, I think you're right.

May be a while before my studio is back up and I can get some vocals recorded but I think my Globe Standard with vd67 capsule is going to be just what I was looking for.

Did a little djembe percussion part as on overdub for a friend last week and the detail I was getting with the mic almost 3ft away was amazing! I think I'm interested in the Amethyst after this thread.
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Oh ok. You lost me with that last post too, lol. But yeah, I think you're right.

May be a while before my studio is back up and I can get some vocals recorded but I think my Globe Standard with vd67 capsule is going to be just what I was looking for.

Did a little djembe percussion part as on overdub for a friend last week and the detail I was getting with the mic almost 3ft away was amazing! I think I'm interested in the Amethyst after this thread.
Why get an Amethyst, you've already got the 67 covered? Go for a globe vintage and check out the 47 flavor. Even though they aren't listed on the current site ask Andrew if he can set you up! I love that mic! Although Amethysts do sound great
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Why get an Amethyst, you've already got the 67 covered? Go for a globe vintage and check out the 47 flavor. Even though they aren't listed on the current site ask Andrew if he can set you up! I love that mic! Although Amethysts do sound great

OH OK. I thought the amethyst was more 87 inspired but only "better"? More on the bright side? Yeah you're right though, maybe I should go for the vd47 capsule Globe.
Old 12th June 2017
Lives for gear

I fully second this post.

Quote:
Old 18th June 2017
Or try an Amethyst Standard which has a VD26 capsule, a more modern sounding capsule, single side. The legendary Emerald LE uses the VD26 with a transformer and we use it as much as the Amethyst Vintage. Through a nice transformer based preamp I imagine it will be another nice option.

Can't go wrong - VD26, VD47, VD67
Old 19th June 2017
i haven't tried the amethyst standard but the vintage and i think, beside the "vintage" name tag that it sounds pretty modern in my universe. but modern in a good way, not harsh with overpresent highs. everything is clear, detailed and tight.
Old 19th June 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
i haven't tried the amethyst standard but the vintage and i think, beside the "vintage" name tag that it sounds pretty modern in my universe. but modern in a good way, not harsh with overpresent highs. everything is clear, detailed and tight.
I concur, it's a vintage mic for people that don't want crusty old crap. It sounds really great and no tubes to worry about.....
Old 26th June 2017
Lives for gear

RF noise on Amethyst Vintage...!?

Hey Amethyst Vintage owners/users

Got one recently and testing. I really like the sound-quality I can get from it, but have experienced what I think may be RF interference, when I move the cable around close to the microphone or simply hold my hand around the cable close to the XLR output. Using the preamps on a TC interface it's very obvious. Connected to my DAV BG-1 it's less obvious, and even less of a problem (though definitely still there) using my Audient preamps. The sound is pretty close to typical self-noise from more noisy microphones. I have tried two different mic-cables, but that didn't make any difference.

I hope to hear some qualified opinion - did I get a 'broken' microphone (it certainly doesn't sound broken) or is it just because the microphone isn't "heavy filtered" - what do you think? Has anyone had similar observations?

::
Mads
Old 26th June 2017
I've got an issue also with one of my Amethyst Vintage mics. Not sure what's causing it. When it's plugged into my lunchbox - RND 511 or Avedis MA5 there's a bit of bumping sound when you quickly move the mic back and forth. Oddly when it's plugged directly into my interface or my DBX 576 tube preamp, nothing. Odd and I also wonder, is the unit broken or am I missing something. I would say a lose connection if it happened with the other interfaces but it seems to have something to do with the movement of the capsule. Strange.
Old 27th June 2017
RTG
Gear Maniac

I don't have any issues with my Amethyst Vintage. It's a great microphone. Very warm with enough air to make it sound special.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
I've got an issue also with one of my Amethyst Vintage mics. Not sure what's causing it. When it's plugged into my lunchbox - RND 511 or Avedis MA5 there's a bit of bumping sound when you quickly move the mic back and forth. Oddly when it's plugged directly into my interface or my DBX 576 tube preamp, nothing. Odd and I also wonder, is the unit broken or am I missing something. I would say a lose connection if it happened with the other interfaces but it seems to have something to do with the movement of the capsule. Strange.
My buddy who bought an Amethyst Vintage is also having problems with it. His problem is two fold, a bit more than normal self noise and a mechanical connector issue where he gets what sounds like a bad ground when moving the mic cable. I hope these problems are just from a small batch of mics because I bought two of them.
Old 27th June 2017
Quote:
My buddy who bought an Amethyst Vintage is also having problems with it. His problem is two fold, a bit more than normal self noise and a mechanical connector issue where he gets what sounds like a bad ground when moving the mic cable. I hope these problems are just from a small batch of mics because I bought two of them.
Not good. I've owned several Violets and had zero issues but this one has me perplexed and I don't want to have to send it back to Europe for service.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Not good. I've owned several Violets and had zero issues but this one has me perplexed and I don't want to have to send it back to Europe for service.
Who knows, maybe they built these a bit faster than normal and missed a few of the problems. It seems they were building to fill a lot of orders for those sales they were having. I hope these are just isolated cases. That said, the one mic of mine that I've been using of my pair, hasn't exhibited any problems.

Last edited by Rockabilly69; 27th June 2017 at 07:23 AM..
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

So far so good with my pair. I've been using them as drum overheads in a location with little EM going on, but my initial testing (in a room with a lot of EM noise, judging from some other mics) they were pretty quiet
Old 27th June 2017
Anyone owning an Amethyst Vintage that uses a 500 series preamp such as a RND 511, Avedis MA5, etc, set the gain to about 40, take in hand and move it back and forth (not particularly hard, just front to back with air passing through the capsule). Do you get a bumping sound occasionally? If not then I need to return this one.

It's not an "end of the world" problem just annoying and odd since it doesn't happen through any other interfaces (Steinberg UR44, DBX 576 Channel Strip). It may be some electrical relationship between my lunchbox and the mic or an actual loose connection. It still sounds great and this is not something that you normally do with a mic under regular order.
Old 27th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who knows, maybe they built these a bit faster than normal and missed a few of the problems. It seems they were building to fill a lot of orders for those sales they were having. I hope these are just isolated cases. That said, the one mic of mine that I've been using of my pair, hasn't exhibited any problems.
Yes maybe this could be the case. Besides my noise issue (holding or moving the mic-cable around) the shock-mount was not properly made, one of the screws holding the rubber-bands on one side was threaded askew (making the rubber-band clamp a little loose). But that's easier to fix than the noise-issue.

Regarding use on drums - the low gain-levels probably wouldn't reveal the issue, at least not the one I've got, which I guess goes from the specified low levels (7 dB-A), raised by around 10-12 dB in worst case scenarios.

Mads
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Just an update, regarding my Amethyst V. noise issue:

What I have found out is that it's very dependent on the specific location of the microphone in my 'test-living-room'. So even if there's noise at a single spot, it doesn't seem to be a general problem, so unless I experience similar problems recording on location, I just keep as it is.

But the shock-mount, which has one damaged screw/thread goes back.

Mads

Last edited by mljung; 28th June 2017 at 10:35 AM..
Old 28th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What I have found out is that it's very dependent on the specific location of the microphone in my 'test-living-room'.
What some or more than some don't fully realise is how much garbage can be invisibly "floating" through the air. Things like stray magnetic fields and RF interference and such is what I'm talking about. Dynamic mics and condenser mics each have their own problems in coping with this.

Budget, project and home studio's are likely less protected on average than the famous ones.
And in this day and age with all the mobile phones, wireless networks etc. matters have not improved.

Narrowing this down to condensers, three layer baskets protect better than dual layer and single layer. And electronically, filters can help, too. But it's a compromise. Too much of a brick wall, either physically otr electronically, will kill transparency.
Better to clean up the studio if at all possible.
Old 28th June 2017
Gear Nut

I purchased a Amethyst Vintage and shock mount at the tail end of the recent sale.
I find it to be a well made microphone and have no problems with it. My preamps are the channel strips in a Cadac J-Type console.
Old 29th June 2017
Gear Head

Hey everyone - I'm really interested in picking up either an Amethyst Vintage or a Globe Vintage. I generally go for more of a vintage vibe when recording. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not either one would be a good fit for my voice?

Here are some samples of my voice. I'm singing lead. The first track was done with a Rode NT1A and the second was through SM57 or an SM7A (I can't quite remember).

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by illold3chordme; 29th June 2017 at 02:47 AM..
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
What some or more than some don't fully realise is how much garbage can be invisibly "floating" through the air. Things like stray magnetic fields and RF interference and such is what I'm talking about. Dynamic mics and condenser mics each have their own problems in coping with this.

Budget, project and home studio's are likely less protected on average than the famous ones.
And in this day and age with all the mobile phones, wireless networks etc. matters have not improved.

Narrowing this down to condensers, three layer baskets protect better than dual layer and single layer. And electronically, filters can help, too. But it's a compromise. Too much of a brick wall, either physically otr electronically, will kill transparency.
Better to clean up the studio if at all possible.
I agree on this, and since I make location recordings I often don't know which environment I'm working in, which complicates things even further. Regarding the issue in my room, I compared the Amethyst Vintage to several other mics, using the same placement, but they all kept quiet, including single basket microphones.

All that said, I really like the sound of the Amethyst Vintage and don't want to go into the trouble of sending it back, to get a replacement, which could easily show the exact same behavior. But I will remember to move the cable away from the front the microphone body (which seem to be where the issue most likely can arise).

Mads
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback.
It would seem like there's something else going on.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I agree on this, and since I make location recordings I often don't know which environment I'm working in, which complicates things even further. Regarding the issue in my room, I compared the Amethyst Vintage to several other mics, using the same placement, but they all kept quiet, including single basket microphones.

All that said, I really like the sound of the Amethyst Vintage and don't want to go into the trouble of sending it back, to get a replacement, which could easily show the exact same behavior. But I will remember to move the cable away from the front the microphone body (which seem to be where the issue most likely can arise).

Mads
I can only say I've never had any of these issues with my pair.
Although mine are kinda old now.. I'd guess about 9yrs old or so.

They do sound great indeed.

Cheu
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illold3chordme View Post
Hey everyone - I'm really interested in picking up either an Amethyst Vintage or a Globe Vintage. I generally go for more of a vintage vibe when recording. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not either one would be a good fit for my voice?

Here are some samples of my voice. I'm singing lead. The first track was done with a Rode NT1A and the second was through SM57 or an SM7A (I can't quite remember).

Thanks for the help!
The Amethyst Vintage has a sound that has nothing to do with "vintage". It's a great modern sound. The Globe Vintage on the other hand is clearly more "47" oriented.
Old 29th June 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The Amethyst Vintage has a sound that has nothing to do with "vintage". It's a great modern sound. The Globe Vintage on the other hand is clearly more "47" oriented.
This is also how I feel about these mics, and I've owned both for a while!
Old 30th June 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Quote:
This is also how I feel about these mics, and I've owned both for a while!
Thanks for the info, guys! Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the AV or the GV would pair better with a Great River me-1nv mic pre? Or if either would be a better fit for my voice in general? It's higher and kind of thin, which you can hear in the samples I posted above.
Old 30th June 2017
Owned the Globe Standard, Amethyst Vintage, Violet VD47(used in the Globe Vintage), and VD67 for the Blue Bottle/Rockets/M563. I prefer the mics/capsules with the VD67 for vocal recordings and found the VD47 a bit dark for my voice also using a Great River preamp. It just sits really nicely in a mix, balanced with bit of character.
Old 1st July 2017
Can't believe I missed this sale! I've been using a garnet for almost a year now and I totally love it. It is their tube mic, and I believe it has the vd47 capsule. It's definitely on the darker side, but still very sweet. The midrange is perfect and it has huge lows. I'd love a pair of amethyst vintage for overheads!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search