The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
JZ microphones Vintage 67 Condenser Microphones
Old 31st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Well you could do that, but....

Check with Andrew about having him sell you a Globe Vintage (the 47 sounding capsule is in that one). For a non-tube, non transformer mic it's surprising that it gets that style sound, it's another one of the Violet gems...

The Globe Vintage (60% Off) – Violet microphones US
Of course Chue is giving some "thumbs up" gloss to that recommendation. I'll look for some clips. But on the link its sold out, and I thought JZ was taking that model over. I definitely want something dark, with a ton of weight that breaks up and blooms when I push a transformer hard. I'm not even sure how much I would use it for a main center vocal track, but I would definitely rock one for doubled tracks just ghosted in hard left and right, and also for doubling on a chorus. Unless I'm recording death metal vocals or something, I generally never use a single center vocal track unless its for effect. And even on death metal vocals I'll usually get tracks doubled and use them judiciously.
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Slinger View Post
Of course Chue is giving some "thumbs up" gloss to that recommendation. I'll look for some clips. But on the link its sold out, and I thought JZ was taking that model over. I definitely want something dark, with a ton of weight that breaks up and blooms when I push a transformer hard. I'm not even sure how much I would use it for a main center vocal track, but I would definitely rock one for doubled tracks just ghosted in hard left and right, and also for doubling on a chorus. Unless I'm recording death metal vocals or something, I generally never use a single center vocal track unless its for effect. And even on death metal vocals I'll usually get tracks doubled and use them judiciously.
Well, I own a Violet Globe Vintage too, and if you're looking for a U47 FET - ish sound (without the hefty price tag) ime this is it. So I thought was a good advice, hence the thumbs up.

It's still a condenser but doesn't have the usual bump in the mid-highs..
It's rather dark (for a condenser) but not dull, it doesn't work on every vocal of course but on some it's perfect and works really good on outside kick and bass amp..

It doesn't have any xformer but sounds pretty hefty to me. Fwiw you could read my reviews of the Globe Vintage (and Amethyst Vintage) in the GS review section:

Violet Design The Globe Vintage

I don't really understand what do you mean when you say "breaks up and bloom when I push the transformer hard"..
But if you want something really dark / fat with an xformer I suggest to look into a ribbon mic (a Coles 4038 works wonders on some vocals or on the very cheap also a tbone rb500 maybe.. I used it on el gtrs to fatten them up), but you'll need a controlled room for vocals.

Cheu
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course Chue is giving some "thumbs up" gloss to that recommendation. I'll look for some clips. But on the link its sold out, and I thought JZ was taking that model over. I definitely want something dark, with a ton of weight that.

They’ll build a new one for you. When I ordered my globe they were sold out too. Took them close to four weeks to build mine and ship so be patient but well worth the wait. I’m interested in the AV now that I have the globe and hear how wonderful it sounds but maybe there is a little overlap between the globe and AV?
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
They’ll build a new one for you. When I ordered my globe they were sold out too. Took them close to four weeks to build mine and ship so be patient but well worth the wait. I’m interested in the AV now that I have the globe and hear how wonderful it sounds but maybe there is a little overlap between the globe and AV?
The Globe Vintage and the Amethyst Vintage are very different sounding: 47-ish vs 67-ish. The Globe Standard is very similar to Amethyst Vintage. If you don't have very discerning ears you might even think they are the same. So if you want different flavours, the ones to have next to each other are The Amethyst Standard, The Amethyst Vintage, The Globe Vintage and The Garnet, going from bright/pristine to darker and more coloured. You can skip The Globe Standard.
Old 31st December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
Well, I own a Violet Globe Vintage too, and if you're looking for a U47 FET - ish sound (without the hefty price tag) ime this is it. So I thought was a good advice, hence the thumbs up.

It's still a condenser but doesn't have the usual bump in the mid-highs..
It's rather dark (for a condenser) but not dull, it doesn't work on every vocal of course but on some it's perfect and works really good on outside kick and bass amp..

It doesn't have any xformer but sounds pretty hefty to me. Fwiw you could read my reviews of the Globe Vintage (and Amethyst Vintage) in the GS review section:

Violet Design The Globe Vintage

I don't really understand what do you mean when you say "breaks up and bloom when I push the transformer hard"..
But if you want something really dark / fat with an xformer I suggest to look into a ribbon mic (a Coles 4038 works wonders on some vocals or on the very cheap also a tbone rb500 maybe.. I used it on el gtrs to fatten them up), but you'll need a controlled room for vocals.

Cheu
It was a compliment. I've probably read 100 of your posts about Violet mics. You, Earcather, Rockabilly, RKeefe, and a couple others guys are the reason I bought the AV's.
Old 31st December 2017
Is Violet still making the Garnet?
Old 31st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
The Globe Vintage and the Amethyst Vintage are very different sounding: 47-ish vs 67-ish. The Globe Standard is very similar to Amethyst Vintage. If you don't have very discerning ears you might even think they are the same. So if you want different flavours, the ones to have next to each other are The Amethyst Standard, The Amethyst Vintage, The Globe Vintage and The Garnet, going from bright/pristine to darker and more coloured. You can skip The Globe Standard.
Ok cool. Excellent info. I think I actually have a globe standard but I’d need to double check since I’ve only pulled it out of its box once for a quick overdub session right before I started my studio build. But from what I heard in that session it had fantastic reach and detail. I was actually quite surprised. Maybe I’ll look into the Garnet then.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok cool. Excellent info. I think I actually have a globe standard but I’d need to double check since I’ve only pulled it out of its box once for a quick overdub session right before I started my studio build. But from what I heard in that session it had fantastic reach and detail. I was actually quite surprised. Maybe I’ll look into the Garnet then.
The Globe Standard is purple (violet) in colour. The Globe Vintage is black.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Globe Standard is purple (violet) in colour. The Globe Vintage is black.
Ok then I have a standard. Mine is purple. I love love love the proprietary shock mount by the way! At first I though I would need to buy another Rycote but no need!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 View Post
Is Violet still making the Garnet?
This is one of the unsolved riddles of this whole Violet situation: in Estonia there is still this company Violet Design, which has been the official representative of Violet microphones for the past ten years, and which seems to be bypassed by the Violet factory in Latvia now. I have raised legitimate questions about this situation, but we have not gotten any sufficient answers from the ones claiming to have the sole right to sell Violet mics now. Anyway, you can still read the best information about the array of (once) available Violet mics here: Products | Violet Design

There is even mentioning of The Garnet '67, which uses a two sided terminated version of the capsule of the Amethyst Vintage and The Globe Standard. I have not heard it.

The original Garnet with the 47-ish capsule has a very tubey sound, not as low in self noise as the non-tube Violets, but with a lot of added character. I have one (bought new, total virgin state), but never used it, as for my work (classical/acoustic) I need more uncoloured microphones. The Garnet seems perfect for a solid rock 'n roll vibe. If anyone is seriously interested I might consider selling it.
Old 1st January 2018
Quote:
This is one of the unsolved riddles of this whole Violet situation: in Estonia there is still this company Violet Design, which has been the official representative of Violet microphones for the past ten years, and which seems to be bypassed by the Violet factory in Latvia now. I have raised legitimate questions about this situation, but we have not gotten any sufficient answers from the ones claiming to have the sole right to sell Violet mics now. Anyway, you can still read the best information about the array of (once) available Violet mics here: Products | Violet Design

There is even mentioning of The Garnet '67, which uses a two sided terminated version of the capsule of the Amethyst Vintage and The Globe Standard. I have not heard it.

The original Garnet with the 47-ish capsule has a very tubey sound, not as low in self noise as the non-tube Violets, but with a lot of added character. I have one (bought new, total virgin state), but never used it, as for my work (classical/acoustic) I need more uncoloured microphones. The Garnet seems perfect for a solid rock 'n roll vibe. If anyone is seriously interested I might consider selling it.
I have one too! I love it for my voice. The best condenser I’ve used on kick, horns, and guitar amp as well. The whole Violet situation is weird. I’d love to hear the Garnet 67! The Emerald is a rad mic too. There was one on are Reverb a while back I wanted to grab. Pretty sure it would be a nice compliment to the Garnet.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok then I have a standard. Mine is purple. I love love love the proprietary shock mount by the way! At first I though I would need to buy another Rycote but no need!
No the globe vintage is purple too on the new runs that’s what I have with the 47 capsule!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
No the globe vintage is purple too on the new runs that’s what I have with the 47 capsule!
Oh wow. A bit confusing. I do know I have a vd67 capsule in mine for sure so I assume it’s a standard. Whatever it is it sounds really good!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you looked inside?

Below is what each model should look like. Or is JZ now counterfeiting the product lines themselves? I really hate this mess up.
Attached Thumbnails
JZ microphones Vintage 67-the_globe_versions.jpg  
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you looked inside?
Below is what each model should look like. Or is JZ now counterfeiting the product lines themselves? I really hate this mess up.
Ear, I know you have a distrust for the new Violet sales folk but you're starting to sound like a broken record regarding the new company. You've accused them of counterfeiting and using sub-par parts. I have seen no evidence of that. Your view of their politics is your view and I understand where you're coming from. But these new mics sounds as good as any they've made. And they are getting to people and at a ridiculously good price. What I do see is growing pains of a new start-up. But this is not the first time they've re-loaded. The first time is when JZ took back the sales of the Flamingo. Well actually the first time is when they pulled away from Blue.

But about the Globe, I may be mistaken about the body color I am not at my studio today I will double check. But I am positive the capsule is the 47 variant. Maybe in the darkness of my studio the color looked purple. I will try to swing by there tomorrow and get a look. I am a professional musician and have done 20 gigs in 20 days so NO time for recording me or anybody else. My studio has been a ghost town!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ear, I know you have a distrust for the new Violet sales folk but you're starting to sound like a broken record regarding the new company. You've accused them of counterfeiting and using sub-par parts. I have seen no evidence of that. Your view of their politics is your view and I understand where you're coming from. But these new mics sounds as good as any they've made. And they are getting to people and at a ridiculously good price. What I do see is growing pains of a new start-up. But this is not the first time they've re-loaded. The first time is when JZ took back the sales of the Flamingo. Well actually the first time is when they pulled away from Blue.
If there is any broken record here, it is the stories from the self proclaimed new representatives. Why is the "old" Violet-Design website still up if their representation has ended? Why is JZ undercutting its own contractual sales channel? Yes, I do hate the level of shadyness and non-disclosure of these guys that took over. Apparently it was even so bad that their GS account has been deleted. They may not like my critical remarks, but that's what you get when you don't play fair. Defending their practices because you are so happy to be able to profit of their low sales prices is not what I call objective. For a good relationship with a customer you need more than a great price and an attractive product. You also need to be open about the long term options to get things repaired and how your warranty will hold up. So yes, I despise these guys for not being open and clear about their business practices. Do I love Violet microphones for what they are? You bet I do!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
If there is any broken record here, it is the stories from the self proclaimed new representatives. Why is the "old" Violet-Design website still up if their representation has ended? Why is JZ undercutting its own contractual sales channel? Yes, I do hate the level of shadyness and non-disclosure of these guys that took over. Apparently it was even so bad that their GS account has been deleted. They may not like my critical remarks, but that's what you get when you don't play fair. Defending their practices because you are so happy to be able to profit of their low sales prices is not what I call objective. For a good relationship with a customer you need more than a great price and an attractive product. You also need to be open about the long term options to get things repaired and how your warranty will hold up. So yes, I despise these guys for not being open and clear about their business practices. Do I love Violet microphones for what they are? You bet I do!

I'm defending them because they've been square with me, and with others. One of my best friends needed a repair on a new Amethyst and they did it lightning fast, and Rkeefe here on GS needed a repair and they immediately got to it with a repair or replacement option. They only person I see where the new company didn't stand behind a repair is one person with a mic that he bought used. And the repairs here were much faster than when I needed an answer about my Violet Flamingo through the old channel. I've emailed those guys 5 or 6 times to get an answer! So from my point of view they've been doing pretty good. That's objectivity. And their GS account got deleted because of over ambitious spamming, which I've seen many times before here on GS. I don't mind when facts are talked of here, but most of your remarks have been based on conjecture. You had people here thinking they were building microphones from spare parts or factory rejects. And now you're talking of counterfeiting. The same people are building the microphones from the same parts always used, it's just the sales that are different. I've opened my microphones up and found the same build quality with my new ones as with my original Violet Flamingo!
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm defending them because they've been square with me, and with others. One of my best friends needed a repair on a new Amethyst and they did it lightning fast, and Rkeefe here on GS needed a repair and they immediately got to it with a repair or replacement option. They only person I see where the new company didn't stand behind a repair is one person with a mic that he bought used. And the repairs here were much faster than when I needed an answer about my Violet Flamingo through the old channel. I've emailed those guys 5 or 6 times to get an answer! So from my point of view they've been doing pretty good. That's objectivity. And their GS account got deleted because of over ambitious spamming, which I've seen many times before here on GS. I don't mind when facts are talked of here, but most of your remarks have been based on conjecture. You had people here thinking they were building microphones from spare parts or factory rejects. And now you're talking of counterfeiting. The same people are building the microphones from the same parts always used, it's just the sales that are different. I've opened my microphones up and found the same build quality with my new ones as with my original Violet Flamingo!
Let me add a few hard facts that we have all been witnessing here:

- I have asked about how our existing ten years of warranty will be honored in the new situation: never got a answer;

- on the page where the Amethyst is being sold the information in text and pictures of the Amethyst Vintage and the Amethyst Standard is mixed up;

- you are claiming that the Globe Vintage would be purple now too. It would be wise if you had checked before posting your claim, but apart from that it would be a form of counterfeiting the existing product line by the factory, as nobody can trustfully tell what he has purchased. Maybe you don't know, but a question mark at the end of a sentence usually means that you are asking a question. At least it does when I put one there;

- inside the European Union the Violet sales team says you cannot get your VAT deducted from the bill, even when you provide them with a valid VAT ID. The fact that they have no idea how to deal with a standard thing such as VAT makes them less than professional, to put it mildly. There are very clear and simple laws here that they should stick to. Not removing VAT from a professional sale when a valid VAT ID is presented is simply a criminal offence. Now you can go on and say these are "growing pains of a start-up", but for a company making and selling microphones for many years already, operating inside the EU, this is unacceptable and it may even endanger their very existence;

- spamming is very strongly regulated inside the EU and is forbidden when customers have not opted in to get spammed, even when it comes from a company that you have been doing business with;

- don't claim my deductions are simply conjecture: I have many years of experience with Violet and all I do is asking legitimate questions about what is going on. Conjecture is when you claim you have a 47-type of capsule in your microphone without having looked inside and no way to be sure since you cannot compare it to a mic that has it;

- I have never claimed that the parts would not come from the original factory, but the fact that they use different colors of bodies than the ones that originally were used suggests that they had some stock of those parts and this is what they use to churn out a few production runs. Now, I am all for a good use of resources, but not telling your customers that you are messing with the looks of your microphones, effectively making it very difficult to know what microphone model you are buying, is not what I call being square;

- and speaking of being square: we have never gotten an answer to any of the other questions that were asked about the exact sales situation in Europe and the USA. The "enjoy the offer while you can but don't ask questions" mentality is not how I want to professionally deal with another company. I don't know what happened with the contract with the Estonian sales guys, but as long as this is not cleared up I would be very careful: if they can ph**k with them they can also ph**k with me, at some point;

- I have been one of the biggest promotors of Violet microphones here on GS, based on my own use of these microphones, purchased with my own money. In no way have I been affiliated with this company. I like to keep my independence and ask critical questions when I see the interests of me or others as a customer hurt. I have several microphones that stay unused in the closet, but most Violets that I own keep coming back in many of my uses. I would like to have a solid outlook on te future of these gems, not being endangered by shady business practices surrounding them.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me add a few hard facts that we have all been witnessing here:

- I have asked about how our existing ten years of warranty will be honored in the new situation: never got a answer;

- on the page where the Amethyst is being sold the information in text and pictures of the Amethyst Vintage and the Amethyst Standard is mixed up;

- you are claiming that the Globe Vintage would be purple now too. It would be wise if you had checked before posting your claim, but apart from that it would be a form of counterfeiting the existing product line by the factory, as nobody can trustfully tell what he has purchased. Maybe you don't know, but a question mark at the end of a sentence usually means that you are asking a question. At least it does when I put one there;

- inside the European Union the Violet sales team says you cannot get your VAT deducted from the bill, even when you provide them with a valid VAT ID. The fact that they have no idea how to deal with a standard thing such as VAT makes them less than professional, to put it mildly. There are very clear and simple laws here that they should stick to. Not removing VAT from a professional sale when a valid VAT ID is presented is simply a criminal offence. Now you can go on and say these are "growing pains of a start-up", but for a company making and selling microphones for many years already, operating inside the EU, this is unacceptable and it may even endanger their very existence;

- spamming is very strongly regulated inside the EU and is forbidden when customers have not opted in to get spammed, even when it comes from a company that you have been doing business with;

- don't claim my deductions are simply conjecture: I have many years of experience with Violet and all I do is asking legitimate questions about what is going on. Conjecture is when you claim you have a 47-type of capsule in your microphone without having looked inside and no way to be sure since you cannot compare it to a mic that has it;

- I have never claimed that the parts would not come from the original factory, but the fact that they use different colors of bodies than the ones that originally were used suggests that they had some stock of those parts and this is what they use to churn out a few production runs. Now, I am all for a good use of resources, but not telling your customers that you are messing with the looks of your microphones, effectively making it very difficult to know what microphone model you are buying, is not what I call being square;

- and speaking of being square: we have never gotten an answer to any of the other questions that were asked about the exact sales situation in Europe and the USA. The "enjoy the offer while you can but don't ask questions" mentality is not how I want to professionally deal with another company. I don't know what happened with the contract with the Estonian sales guys, but as long as this is not cleared up I would be very careful: if they can ph**k with them they can also ph**k with me, at some point;

- I have been one of the biggest promotors of Violet microphones here on GS, based on my own use of these microphones, purchased with my own money. In no way have I been affiliated with this company. I like to keep my independence and ask critical questions when I see the interests of me or others as a customer hurt. I have several microphones that stay unused in the closet, but most Violets that I own keep coming back in many of my uses. I would like to have a solid outlook on te future of these gems, not being endangered by shady business practices surrounding them.

First off, I said that I may be mistaken about the color of the Globe Vintage , which I was, I thought the body was purple because it was hanging on a mic stand with a cover over it, but the GSM shockount on mine uses purple isolators (see pic at bottom of post), that's what caused my confusion. And the description on the current Amethyst page is correct, The Vintage uses the VD67, and The Standard the VD26.

No, what you claimed is that they were building mics from B-stock parts or factory reject parts. It was me who mistakenly brought up the color change and you immediately came up with the counterfeit theory. But their flagship flamingo changed color midstream during it's production run and nobody cared then.

What makes you think I don't know what my capsule looks like? I can tell you from my experience of comparing it to my Blue Cactus it looks pretty damn close to the Blue B7 capsule. I looked because I was curious after you started the paranoia about the parts usage, so I popped the front of the mic grilles off and checked the capsules. All of my Blue and Violet mics have been opened by me so that I could compare the Blue mics to the Violet in construction. That is why I called you out on the B-Stock and factory reject parts. My matched Amethysts are a serial number apart and I can not tell them apart visually or sonically.

This is Gearslutz spamming, not the EU, and that was what I was referring to.

- and speaking of being square: we have never gotten an answer to any of the other questions that were asked about the exact sales situation in Europe and the USA. The "enjoy the offer while you can but don't ask questions" mentality is not how I want to professionally deal with another cactsompany. I don't know what happened with the contract with the Estonian sales guys, but as long as this is not cleared up I would be very careful: if they can ph**k with them they can also ph**k with me, at some point;

But I've gotten answers to any question that I've asked them! I've even gotten extended warranties on my Amethysts, which btw I have had no problem with. But I am betting on that the company will still be in business if/when I need service, like I do with all mic builders. Who knows, maybe that's a bad bet on my part.

And btw, the same thing happened when the Violet mic builders ph**k'ed (using your phrase) Blue, why didn't you stand up for BLUE if you're taking the moral high ground? Personally your decision to not support the new Violet sellers is yours. I'm just trying to present the facts that have applied to the dealings that I have had with the company personally. And they have not Ph**'ed me!

As for the VAT dealings, if they are to sell in Europe they will need to sort that crap out, and I agree it's bad business to try and skirt any regulation!

Last edited by Rockabilly69; 2nd January 2018 at 08:34 AM..
Old 19th January 2018
[QUOTE=Rockabilly69;13046226]- on the page where the Amethyst is being sold the information in text and pictures of the Amethyst Vintage and the Amethyst Standard is mixed up;

First off, I said that I may be mistaken about the color of the Globe Vintage , which I was, I thought the body was purple because it was hanging on a mic stand with a cover over it, but the GSM shockount on mine uses purple isolators (see pic at bottom of post), that's what caused my confusion. And the description on the current Amethyst page is correct, The Vintage uses the VD67, and The Standard the VD26.

Any of you guys have a JZ Vintage 47? I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Amethyst V's already. I'm almost done with my first song where I used them as my main workhorses. But, my inner slut is calling and I need to get back to holding down my corner. The red light is calling.
Old 20th January 2018
I haven't used the JZ47 but have used Violet mics with the 47 capsule. My direct experience has been with the 67 capsule in the Amethyst, JZ67 and VD67 capsule. Didn't care for the JZ version as much and it didn't sound quite like the Amethyst or VD67. My guess is the headbasket changes the sound of the capsule. I sold the JZ67. My disclaimer is that a lot of folks like the JZ67/47 so it's just how it reacted to my voice. Try it out and buy from a store that accepts returns.
Old 20th January 2018
[QUOTE=Ford Slinger;13083369]
Quote:

Any of you guys have a JZ Vintage 47? I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Amethyst V's already. I'm almost done with my first song where I used them as my main workhorses. But, my inner slut is calling and I need to get back to holding down my corner. The red light is calling.
I bought a JZ Vintage 47 cheap on ebay for a writing room and it worked great on a friends voice. There's a funny thread on here where folks choose it as the OG 47 as it's so dull/warm sounding. It needs a LOT of eq to cut through a mix.
I generally prefer the Amethyst Vintage for its mid range.
Old 20th January 2018
Quote:
This is fraud.
Old 21st January 2018
[QUOTE=Paul_G;13085158]
Quote:

I bought a JZ Vintage 47 cheap on ebay for a writing room and it worked great on a friends voice. There's a funny thread on here where folks choose it as the OG 47 as it's so dull/warm sounding. It needs a LOT of eq to cut through a mix.
I generally prefer the Amethyst Vintage for its mid range.
I'm all over the place right now. Today I was getting infatuated with some of the Beesneez offerings, a CU-29, or maybe a Lauten Atlantis. I've got an LA320 that does the C12 thing, and the pair of AVs, KSM32, C3000B, LA120 and I use my Heil PR30 quite a bit when layering vocals. I just wanted to find something dark and dirty to compliment what I already have. I'm not in a huge rush, I can generally get something I have to work and it forces me to learn the mics I already own better. But the cat calls from my street corner never end and the longer I hear them, the more seductive they sound. I'm sure I'll be scratching where it itches soon enough.
Old 10th May 2018
Here for the gear

Hi guys, I've been following many threads in search of the best microphone for me. I'm a male baritone singer, a voice a la Ray Charles. I've gotten my hands on an Amethyst Vintage mic, and found it fabulous on the ac guitars, harmonica and horns that I recorded with. But on my voice, I went in a studio with the AV thinking to use it but we ended up using a AKG SolidTube mic, which got us a thicker rounder vocal. I was a bit disappointed considering the price I paid for the Amethyst vs this mic

Well, right now I am looking at the ultimate right microphone for me (aren't we all? ) and I've been looking at the big Flamingo from Violet, and the brand new Redd microphone. I'm looking at a mic that will record my voice best, and can record guitars and harmonica at least as well as the AV :D

Can anyone give me their inputs on these? Amethyst Vintage vs Flamingo? Flamingo vs Redd? Is there anything the Amethyst Vintage does better than those mics?
I actually have a sweet deal on a Flamingo, and if it can stand a chance against the Redd that might be the ticket !

And if you guys have other options for my type of voice (deep male baritone, blues & soul), I'll appreciate any recommendations !

Thanks !
Old 10th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRobinSTB View Post
Hi guys, I've been following many threads in search of the best microphone for me. I'm a male baritone singer, a voice a la Ray Charles. I've gotten my hands on an Amethyst Vintage mic, and found it fabulous on the ac guitars, harmonica and horns that I recorded with. But on my voice, I went in a studio with the AV thinking to use it but we ended up using a AKG SolidTube mic, which got us a thicker rounder vocal. I was a bit disappointed considering the price I paid for the Amethyst vs this mic

Well, right now I am looking at the ultimate right microphone for me (aren't we all? ) and I've been looking at the big Flamingo from Violet, and the brand new Redd microphone. I'm looking at a mic that will record my voice best, and can record guitars and harmonica at least as well as the AV :D

Can anyone give me their inputs on these? Amethyst Vintage vs Flamingo? Flamingo vs Redd? Is there anything the Amethyst Vintage does better than those mics?
I actually have a sweet deal on a Flamingo, and if it can stand a chance against the Redd that might be the ticket !

And if you guys have other options for my type of voice (deep male baritone, blues & soul), I'll appreciate any recommendations !

Thanks !
It depends how hard and bright your voice is. Anywhere we can hear it?

I love the REDD I have 2 but it is fairly bright and can get quite hard in the mids to top mids on a tough voice, but on the right mellow voice it sounds beautiful and is like a vintage version of a Sony C800G with a low mid bump.
Talking of mellow, I love the Bock 251 as it's so lovely and caramel like. Bright enough with no sibilance and plenty of mid ranged, creamy warmth. Great for harder, soulful voices.
Depends how thick your voice is to start with. I guess I never really considered Ray Charles a Baritone as he sings so high in so many places and I guess he's also screaming his head off to his heart's content too.
My other favourite vintage ish sounding mic is the Horch RM2J which is like all the best German mics rolled into one. M49/U47/U67 etc. Very close to a mint short body U47 I had for a decade.
Another great bargain is the Telefunken AR-51 which has a gorgeous, sunny tone without any dislocation between the top and the mid and little to no sibilance to worry about.
I love the Nordic NU47 too as a) it's made of wood and b) it's got a lovely brightness on top of that classic tone.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the Flamingo in my room but the recordings I've heard don't do it justice, the top was quite harsh. As I mentioned I like the tone of the Amethyst Vintage which is a total bargain with it's smoky low flavour. It doesn't resemble a REDD.

How about the re-issue of the U67? If it sounds good on you it would make a good investment.

Anyway, there's some food for thought.....
Maybe a more experienced Violet user could help with the Flamingo suitability, style and sonics. Apologies for my lack of experience there.
Old 10th May 2018
Well Rocking Robin, I have no experience with the Flamingo, however I bought a Globe Vintage and a Beesneez Oliver for a thicker darker flavor, both are 47 influenced mics. I like them both, but the Globe Vintage is cleaner sounding while still being round. The Oliver is a tube mic, and it does a dirty vintage in your face thing that really works depending on the voice. I just used both on a tenor singer, and the singer liked them both. But ultimately we ended up using the Amethyst Vintage and LA320 for the center vocal tracks, and used the Globe Vintage and Oliver for double and triple tracks for the full midrange. For a lower voiced rapper I work with, all we use is the Oliver and Globe Vintage. I also have used the Oliver on clean electric guitar and really liked it for those duties. Hope this helps.
Old 10th May 2018
By the way I was able to buy the Beesneez Oliver and Violet Globe Vintage for what it would have cost me for a Copperhead. Seemed like a win - win for me.
Old 11th May 2018
On a baritone voice we've started using the Soundelux U195 in the FAT position through a Great River preamp. Just as often we've bypassed the Great River and gone right into the Audient interface preamp adding color/vibe with the Slate or UAD Neve 1073 post recording. That huge transformer in the Soundelux really likes those lower baritone sounds. One would think it would be too dark but the "67" style capsule really delivers those upper midrange tones as well.

Probably not your style of music but this was recently updated with a U195 - written for the musical "Ballrooms and Other Parts of Town"

Old 11th May 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
On a baritone voice we've started using the Soundelux U195 in the FAT position through a Great River preamp. Just as often we've bypassed the Great River and gone right into the Audient interface preamp adding color/vibe with the Slate or UAD Neve 1073 post recording. That huge transformer in the Soundelux really likes those lower baritone sounds. One would think it would be too dark but the "67" style capsule really delivers those upper midrange tones as well.

Probably not your style of music but this was recently updated with a U195 - written for the musical "Ballrooms and Other Parts of Town"

Nice job RKeefe, I like the vibe you caught with that song. Reminds me of the sound of sitcom theme songs from the 70's and 80's. Super smooth and full, and the vocal delivery is really on point. The lead guitar tone is perfect.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search