The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Max Martin / Shellback Gear Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thanks so much for your thoughts and research means a lot. It's great validation as to the genius that he is.
Appreciate you re negative comments as well. I'm a songwriter myself and produce music and have my go-to engineer for mixing, so these types of work flow related inputs as well as gear used always helps with improving on the craft.
Speaking of Max's team, Max says he learned a lot from Denniz. In fact, Denniz I think set the creative and business platform well for Max to take off from. Max then continued to work hard. I've been great friends with Herbie (who was part of the original crew of Dennis, Herbie and Max) and I probably could ask Herbie for all the early studio operations (and when I do I'll let you know), but Herbie did drop some notes once to me a few years ago about the use of 909s, samplers, Se1, Junos etc for colors etc on their records. I didn't want to bug him but I'm sure he won't mind. Even Dr Alban's "away from home" recording has some amazing colors, besides being a cool song!
Anyways glad to be on the same page man. Please PM me especially cuz you are a songwriter! I have Billboard and Grammy credit myself but I enjoy roaming around GS for info and chats and have learned so much from amazing people here. One of the legends I befriended was Mike Shipley whom I met on here and we started working together before he passed away. He wanted to get Mutt involved on a project and was humble enough to ask me if it's ok to do so. I couldn't believe it!
Thanks again man!
Yes it's so helpful researching this stuff for the little things you pick up and can integrate to our own creative processes and ways we do things. Just recently I was reading a thread here on GS asking a simple question about how to record in one room but have the PC in another. A dilemma I'd faced myself and worked around by having a second monitor and wireless keyboard/mouse etc in my recording room. However..someone offered the simple but brilliant suggestion to simply remote desktop in to the PC on a laptop or other device by network sharing...amazing..I felt kind of stupid I hadn't thought of that!

Yeah cool, please do let me know if you ever do find that info out from Herbie and I'll drop you a PM to chat a bit more especially about this songwriting caper! I hadn't followed Mike Shipley's career, did a quick bit of research..sounds like he was a brilliant guy..and a fellow Aussie too I see, I'm gonna watch his Pensado's Place episode
Old 30th August 2017
Gear Nut

The constant parroting of audio "wisdom" and jumping to conclusions around here can really be insufferable. You asked a simple question and everybody pops out of the bog like Yoda.
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Guru

ppg wavecomputer, OBXA, Melotron 4000 and a life size replica of Britney
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
ppg wavecomputer, OBXA, Melotron 4000 and a life size replica of Britney
lol thx just when I was starting to hope the magic is in the $99 m-audio controller....or is that $149?
Old 31st August 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
lol thx just when I was starting to hope the magic is in the $99 m-audio controller....or is that $149?
they probably use them for quick idea testing. and I'd expect that depending how well it works, keep them in any track, in a RAW state or as a layer at least.
Old 31st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
Haha I'd be impressed if anyone could identify them! They look just like my M-Audio CX8's actually... but I think they came 20 years later....
Here is a cool video and pic
https://www.facebook.com/dennizpopaw...0741939758685/
Notice the NS10s. Interesting how they have both tweeters on the left side! Something tells me though that the camera crew did that so as to not have the speaker cone right by Max's face and to make the shot almost balanced lol
Attached Thumbnails
Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_4308.jpg  
Old 1st September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here is a cool video and pic
https://www.facebook.com/dennizpopaw...0741939758685/
Notice the NS10s. Interesting how they have both tweeters on the left side! Something tells me though that the camera crew did that so as to not have the speaker cone right by Max's face and to make the shot almost balanced lol
Nice find!
Yeah definitely, that could be one explanation for the monitors set that way.. of course the other is that THIS is actually the secret to Max's songwriting and production prowess!! haha
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
Nice find!
Yeah definitely, that could be one explanation for the monitors set that way.. of course the other is that THIS is actually the secret to Max's songwriting and production prowess!! haha
I think we found the magic key to MM success!!! Now I need to know who else is doing this. This is amazing!! TOL (tweeters on left) is what it's about. Bang!!!
Old 1st September 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting.... tweeters in the middle. I've always used tweeters on the sides but I guess everyone has their reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Max Martin / Shellback Gear-img_4326.jpg  
Old 15th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks so much!! Appreciate the information and links/pics. This has me curious as to how much of the NS10s he may have used for creating music vs tracking/editing vocals and mixing (when he used to mix as well)
Creating 'beats' on NS10s may set up the frequency array well and then maybe he used the other mains or whatever to listen loudly to see how it works in a club situation or just vibe....
Im visiting my cousin right now in LA, and he's working at MXM as Martins vocal recorder and editor. He is usually tracking with an 1176 comp and telefunken mic, through a chandler tg2. A few of his friends (producers at MXM) are also using Focal monitors, and of course they have a few NS10 in the building aswell with a briston.

Im gonna be there tomorrow or maybe later this week, looking forward
Old 21st June 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinJacobsson View Post
Im visiting my cousin right now in LA, and he's working at MXM as Martins vocal recorder and editor. He is usually tracking with an 1176 comp and telefunken mic, through a chandler tg2. A few of his friends (producers at MXM) are also using Focal monitors, and of course they have a few NS10 in the building aswell with a briston.

Im gonna be there tomorrow or maybe later this week, looking forward

Any idea what artists max has had in studio recently?
Ive always wondered what VTS plug ins he uses for synths. And how he programs his drums.
Old 21st June 2018
Here for the gear

They recently came out with a series with Taylor Swift making of various songs from Reputation album which is 90% co written/produced by Max and shellback.
Anyways has tons of footage in studio with him where you get some good views of his gear. Just search youtube.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search