The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
80s effects: Roland DEP-5 and others?
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Maniac

80s effects: Roland DEP-5 and others?

I'm a fan of 80s type dance music and I'm looking for 19" effects processors to get that sound, but can't afford the AMS or Lexicon devices which "everybody" at the time used according to forum threads and interviews I've read. I'm sure there were budget productions even back then as well....

I've come across a Roland DEP-5 multi-effect processor for sale but wonder how it sounds. I also like stuff with real knobs, so I can change things in realtime such as delay-modulation effects. I'm pretty sure this can be done with the dedicated delay-only devices from Roland (SDE-1000, SDE-2000, SDE-2500) but these go for relatively high prices, don't they?

I'm thinking a setup of three effect processors:
- a dedicated reverb unit
- a dedicated delay unit
- a multi-effect processor unit

or just two:
- a dedicated reverb unit
- a multi-effect processor (provided its delay section is similar to one of the dedicated delay units)

Would the DEP-5 be similar to the above Roland SRV-xxxx units when it comes to delay quality, options and realtime control?
With a delay the realtime control isn't the same, but would I still be getting a more 80s like sound from say a Roland SRV-2000 than for instance a Roland SRV-3030? (having read threads on the subject here I understand the 3030 is a lot better than the SRV-330, and I should stay away from Yamaha's legendary SPX-90/SPX-90 II as they give a very metallic sound but go for the SPX-990 instead).

The effects will be mostly be used with hardware synths, samplers and drume machines, but also the occasional vocals.
Old 10th December 2016
Lives for gear

I had a Roland DEP-5 many moons ago - it's nice and easy to operate and capable of sounding great with delays etc. The modulation section (Chorus etc) was a bit on the noisy side IIRC.
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Maniac

How does it compare to the "legendary" Roland SDE-1000/2000/2500 for delays? Same sound and user-interface/realtime control?
What would be a better rack effect processor for modulation type effects if I want that 80s sound?
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

I have the DEP-5 and I'm still not sure that I get the most out of it.

Anyone out there with some really good tips for settings?
Is it the modulation that is the secret weapon?
Or is it the reverb?

Or should I just give up and sell it?
Old 17th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmcomposer View Post
(having read threads on the subject here I understand the 3030 is a lot better than the SRV-330,
FALSE.

The 3030 is the 'meh'/metallic sounding one, whereas the SRV-330 is really nice, kinda in between the TC and Lexicon sound. But maybe not as 80's as you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmcomposer View Post
and I should stay away from Yamaha's legendary SPX-90/SPX-90 II as they give a very metallic sound but go for the SPX-990 instead).
TRUE.

Owned a DEP-5 for a while; loved it BECAUSE it sounded so 80's. Reverse Gated snare verbs e.a.
On the cheap, perhaps a Boss SE-50 or SE-70 might work for you. Then again, they wouldn't be much cheaper than a DEP-5 nowadays.
Yamaha REV-5 would be good for verbs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search