The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
16 optical ins/outs with PTLE ?
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomv-k View Post
Just for the benefit of this thread, and the greater good, I have been looking into this myself and have discovered that Pro Tools M-Powered does not support S/MUX, even though the LightBridge is physically capable, also the physical amount of ins and outs is limited to 18 at 44.1/48k only, just like Pro Tools LE.

The single benefit of using M-Powered over LE for ins and outs is that you can choose your converters for ALL your channels, which is hands down a huge advantage, as it means you could have an 18 i/o all Apogee setup for example which would be pretty smart, at a fraction of an HD setup.
Maybe you mean something else that I don´t understand ( english it´s not my language ) but I´m working with the ProfireLightbridge at this moment with a session recorded at 88.2. I´m monitoring using the ADAT output into a Rosetta 200 and the Apogee shows the SMUX light. I sync the PFLB by the same Rosetta and select the optical sync.

I´m on PC with XP professional SP3 and PT M-Powered 7.4.cs2 but I´ve also worked with older versions.

The only tricky thing is that sometimes, when I want to open a 88.2 session, PT tells me that it doesn´t support 44.1 !! even if the PF is correctly clocked to 88.2 ( very weird ) so what I do is create a blank session at 88.2, then close it, and then it allows me to open the session I wanted to open before.

It´s very strange but it looks like if I´ve been working at 44.1 ( wich I normally do ), even if I close PT, change the clock on the Rosetta and get the PF to sync perfectly, when I reopen PT and try to open an 88.2 session I´ve been working on, PT is so stupid that thinks it´s a 44.1 session but once I create a new session at 88.2 ( just a blank one with no tracks ) then close it, it allows me to open the 88.2 sessions !! It´s funny and anoying at the same time. I´ve got a folder full of blank sessions, LOL
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Head

That's interesting. But is does seem that it's not meant to work which is what I was getting at. If you've found a way to trick it good on you!
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just for the benefit of this thread, and the greater good, I have been looking into this myself and have discovered that Pro Tools M-Powered does not support S/MUX, even though the LightBridge is physically capable, also the physical amount of ins and outs is limited to 18 at 44.1/48k only, just like Pro Tools LE.

The single benefit of using M-Powered over LE for ins and outs is that you can choose your converters for ALL your channels, which is hands down a huge advantage, as it means you could have an 18 i/o all Apogee setup for example which would be pretty smart, at a fraction of an HD setup.
Just for the greater good, that is incorrect. I run 18 i/o at 88.2KHz everyday with the Lightbridge/ PT MP 7.3.1 set-up and it works fine. M-powered is perfectly S/MUX capable, but the 003 interfaces don't support it with the LE version.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
Just for the greater good, that is incorrect. I run 18 i/o at 88.2KHz everyday with the Lightbridge/ PT MP 7.3.1 set-up and it works fine. M-powered is perfectly S/MUX capable, but the 003 interfaces don't support it with the LE version.
Do you know if it works with 7.4 or 8 because a few people including espasonico above have suggested that it was something that slipped through digidesigns fingers for this specific version?? Do you have to do anything special to achieve 88.2 like espasonico or does it just happily open and operate? What converters are you using?

The 003/002 wouldn't support greater than 48k through SMUX for the additional 8 i/o as it only has 1 ADAT connection each way, so it's more of a hardware limitation, though they can record up to 92k with the internal 8 i/o of course.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know if it works with 7.4 or 8 because a few people including espasonico above have suggested that it was something that slipped through digidesigns fingers for this specific version?? Do you have to do anything special to achieve 88.2 like espasonico or does it just happily open and operate? What converters are you using?

The 003/002 wouldn't support greater than 48k through SMUX for the additional 8 i/o as it only has 1 ADAT connection each way, so it's more of a hardware limitation, though they can record up to 92k with the internal 8 i/o of course.
The fact that I have to do some tricky things in order to open existing sessions in 88.2 I think it has more to do withbad written drivers than anything else.

I bought the PFLB for it´s capability of working at 88.2 in PTLE and record 16 tracks with SMUX.

What has surprised me it´s the tomv-k post saying that the PFLB didn´t support SMUX in PTMP, and Subspace post confirms that it actually works so my conclusion is that tomv-k has a problem with his system or something like that.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico View Post
The fact that I have to do some tricky things in order to open existing sessions in 88.2 I think it has more to do withbad written drivers than anything else.

I bought the PFLB for it´s capability of working at 88.2 in PTLE and record 16 tracks with SMUX.

What has surprised me it´s the tomv-k post saying that the PFLB didn´t support SMUX in PTMP, and Subspace post confirms that it actually works so my conclusion is that tomv-k has a problem with his system or something like that.
Sorry I had been told several times that SMUX wasn't supported. I am not running my system yet, was just reporting what I had believed to have discovered during researching it. It's arriving next week. So maybe it was pre-emptive of me to post my findings.

Can you post a link to the subspace post? is it working in 7.4?

Last edited by tomv-k; 10th April 2009 at 01:33 PM.. Reason: additions
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

The subspace post he's referring to is 4 messages up in this thread. I don't run 7.4 or 8 so I won't make any claims about their performance. I don't do anything special to run at 88.2KHz, just open the project and go. I use Sydec converters over S/MUX and a custom DAC over S/PDIF.

The 003 won't support S/MUX becuse Digi won't write the driver. S/MUX works fine for 4 channels over one adat port, it's not a hardware limitation.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

Sorry I didn't notice he was talking about your post. I have read elsewhere that 7.3 can handle all 32 tracks of the lightbridge, but it was something they clamped down on and brought inline with LE in future releases. To achieve 16 channels at SMUX you obviously have to use all 32 (4 adat ports), but if this has been reduced (in 7.4 which I prefer using) it makes sense what some people have said about 16 channels of SMUX not working with Pro Tools 7.4 though maybe you can get 8 going (with 2 adat ports), thought that makes is no better than a 002/3, but I will test this with my system and let you know. 7.4 has some great improvements over 7.3 from using it in LE, and I wouldn't want to go back to it.

This post is about 16 channels so the single ADAT port is a hardware limitation to achieving 16 tracks if we're talking about SMUX here, that's what I meant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search