The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
best headphones for low end monitoring
Old 4th March 2007
Lives for gear

best headphones for low end monitoring

in some control rooms it's difficult to hear the "real" low end in the mix because of poor acoustic design, standing waves, bad monitors etc.

good headphones could help.

what headphones can you recommend for monitoring the low end?
Old 4th March 2007
Gear Maniac

there could be many. i use Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro, goes down to as low as 10Hz. i'm quite happy with them!
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

Headphones don't tell bass, bass is a combination of what u hear and what u feel, so there aren't any headphones who will truly give u a realistic bass response.

U'll have to check your bass on different systems or find a studio that has decent bass response.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

out of all the headphones I have, the akg k44's have the best low end... But i am having reliablity issues with them... I have had almost all of my pairs die... So i don't recommened them really, but they do have a nice bass response
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeFiNeD View Post
Headphones don't tell bass, bass is a combination of what u hear and what u feel, so there aren't any headphones who will truly give u a realistic bass response.

U'll have to check your bass on different systems or find a studio that has decent bass response.

sure, you're right. i don't want to mix with headphones (i never do), i only want to use them as one of "different systems".

so far - DT 770 pro, i know they rule.

what about sony MDR7506? some engineer recommended them to me.
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnDeFiNeD View Post
Can't agree with that, some do give realistic representations. If in addition "feeling" it's important, that's easily done by leaving monitor volume at low to medium level while listening to headphones, thereby covering all bases excuse the pun.

IMO just get good neutral headphones. I like Sennheisers. Grados aren't particularly neutral, have a lot of coloration. AKGs are good but can be bright and harsh on the ears after prolonged listening.
Old 5th September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebolao View Post

what about sony MDR7506? some engineer recommended them to me.
theyre the best!
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Don't listen to those guys. Sennheiser HD 600 and a HeadRoom Standard Amp.
Old 5th September 2016
Lives for gear

Headphones and this:

http://www.eich-amps.com/cms/content/bassboards
Old 5th September 2016
Ive never been able to accurately monitor bass in any headphones Ive had. The reason for that is mixing headphones seem to sound really good, and sound balanced a lot easier than a pair of speakers with woofers large enough to hear all the bass. Many times Ive thought I had the low end sounding great in the headphones, then when i put it in my car, which has a subwoofer in it, I find that the bass was too loud, which I could only hear when it was magnified by a powerful subwoofer.

One way I can judge the low end is by limiting the 2bus into like 9dbfs rms, if the track is distorted badly then i know i have too much low end. Its a good little trick to help your mind re-evaluate the balance of your mix in headphones
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search