The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate VMS vs TOWNSEND LABS SPHERE L22 - AND THE WINNER IS...
Old 10th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Every example I hear of the Slate, the top end “air”, just doesn’t sound right/exist. I hate using cliche terms, but it doesn’t sound open. High mids are weird. I wanted to love it, especially with the $499 deals on it right now.

Regardless, I just ordered the Townsend
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Townsend View Post
That is all essentially correct and is what we recommend. The only minor point I'd add is that there is a Calibration switch on the Sphere microphone which lets you automatically compensate for any gain differences using the Sphere plug-in, in case your preamp gains are not perfectly matched. I suspect most people won't need that feature but it's there so that Sphere can work with just about any preamp.

I also thinking it's a safe bet that Sphere will not always be used as we recommend but we designed Sphere to be as robust as possible to channel mismatch and other factors so that there's a good chance the results will still be good. We make these recommendations so that the setup is as simple and foolproof as possible for the typical user.
so, basically i need two microphone ppreamps, gain matched to use this mic?
Old 23rd October 2020 | Show parent
Company Rep

🎧 10 years
Yes, that is correct. But you can the Calibration switch on the Sphere L22 to gain match the channels if they aren't perfectly matched.
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I only own the slate and I have only used it once or twice, I really wanted to love it but I just never wanted to come back to it over my other mics.

To me it always sounds better without any of the emus on (but very vanilla) - could definitely make it work if it was my only mic, just doesn't get me excited.

Haven't tried the Sphere but am pretty interested in it, a few of my friends who I trust use it almost exclusively.
Old 23rd October 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I only own the slate and I have only used it once or twice, I really wanted to love it but I just never wanted to come back to it over my other mics.

To me it always sounds better without any of the emus on (but very vanilla) - could definitely make it work if it was my only mic, just doesn't get me excited.

Haven't tried the Sphere but am pretty interested in it, a few of my friends who I trust use it almost exclusively.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNewlove View Post
so, basically i need two microphone ppreamps, gain matched to use this mic?
You can technically use any of the preamps on their approved list.
But, considering the mic comes with a voucher for the UAD Sphere plugin, it seems like an Apollo is the way to go.

(This is the list of approved preamps and interfaces)
https://townsendlabs.com/prelist/

Matching the gain of both should be pretty easy on most interfaces, though a little more challenging on raw preamps. (Most interfaces have a way to "link" 1/2, 3/4, etc.)

It's a breeze on the Apollo interfaces though, and the cool thing is being able to monitor your mics live, without latency. It's nuts to be able to hear an accurate model of a Neumann U87, running through an accurate LA-2A, and into an accurate Pultec EQP1A.. all live. I really feel like the two companies, put together, really knocked it out of the park.
📝 Reply